Yogasana for Relief from Back Pain

Namasthe,
I am sufferring from Back Pain since 3 years.I work for a software company in India.Recently Yoga session started in our company and I joined it.I don’t remember all the names of asanas correctly.I get immediate relief from back pain within 5 minutes after starting yoga session.But the session is held weekly and hence after 3 or 4 days my back pain starts again.I request anybody to suggest me asanas which I can do daily and which would bring relief to my back pain.

Thanks,
Kiran.

Namaste, Kiran,

I have been on holiday - sorry for delayed reply. Others are more than welcome to give their opinions and help to create an interactive community of yoginis and yogis sharing their experiences.

In my experience, the rolling bridge pose as I learned it from Mukunda Stiles has been of tremendous help for me and my yoga students as a therapeutic treatment of back pain. I have found it to be helpful for pain relief throughout the spinal column when done slowly, progressively, and with attention to the physical response of the body. For people suffering from back pain, I recommend this one dynamic (flowing on the breath) asana above all others. If you would like instruction in this asana, it is best given in person or by reviewing the instructions in Structural Yoga Therapy. If you would like, I can give you general technique through this forum.

You do not state the specifics of your back issue. If this is a chronic condition, you may want to post to Mukunda or make arrangements to see him for a private session so that you can recieve specific and personalized instruction. Generally, back pain indicates a weakness or imbalance of the muscles which stabilize the spinal column. You may need to strenthen muscles in your bellyor your back, or to stretch muscles which are holding tension or are short in proportion to their antagonist (opposing muscle). Overall strengthening exercizes as found in a good general yoga class will help you to develop your general fitness level, decreasing the pain level, and to become more aware of the area of tension or weakness which is causing the back pain, empowering you to appropriate action to avoid it in the future.

Other comments from readers are welcomed, and Kiran is welcome to post a more specific question about his condition to Mukunda’s forum, or to browse the forum using the search function to find other posts about back pain.

Namaste,
Chandra

hi
the harsh back pain make the person motionless but mostly the causes of the back pain are the bad posture and lack of exercise which cause the muscle stiffness and then turned into pain so to get continuous back pain relief it is required to exercise daily with right posture and try to change your posture into right while working.

It’s true that posture is one of the most important factors in getting relief from back pain. Most people don’t know what good posture really is. “Treat Your Own Back” from the McKenzie Institute contains a good description of correct posture. This book got me started on the road to recovery from a very serious back injury. Practicing yoga has completed the process.

I realise that this is an old post but I wanted to point this out.

It is EXTREMELY important with back pain or spine injuries that a diagnosis is made before beginning any asana work.

The simple reason for this is that what would benefit one back condition may actually make a different back injury worse.

Excellent point. I agree 100%.

Yes Yoga will be the best alternative in back pain
But it should be done under the guidance of any expert only.
CHIROPRACTOR LAWRENCEVILLE GA

Hi Kiran,

Here are few asnas which are good for back ache -

1. Bhujangasana

2. Makrasana

3. Uttanpadasana

4. Setubandhasana

5)Ardha Shalabhasana

I would suggest you to consult a good Doctor first to understand what exactly causing your back pain and then in the guidance of a yoga teacher learn the above mentioned asanas properly.

Hope this helps you.

You know James, when your post is that vague AND contains the subject line from the thread verbatim it appears as though the post is generated by a spambot.

In order to dispel such a myth, please tell us which writer you find “brilliant” in this thread from 2002 with its last post in October 2010.