Yogi - Yogini

Hi,
I am interested in using one of the following sanskrit words in conjunction with yogi and yogini. Virya, sati, rupa, bala, siddha, zakti, and or sadaya.

Is using one of these words before or after yogi or yogini correct ( virya yogi or yogi virya) and is itr ok to use these words in conjunction.

Namaste
Jerry

I can’t answer your question here Jerry as I am not a Sanskrit scholar. I’m sorry.
What I can tell you is that I don’t believe there is such a word in classical yoga such as “yogini”. That is a western spin likely offered up by someone who did not understand that yogi is unisex in nature. Call it an over thrust of political correctness or call it clever marketing to sell prana wear.

Furthermore, I am told, the term yogi is incredibly sacred and should not be tossed around as cavalierly as it is. Of course a snowball rolling downhill often can not be stopped once it has reacher critical mass. So I suspect these terms will continue to be used over lattes at Starbucks.

Hi Jerry,

To be called a yogi is something that you have earned through hard work, discipline, persistence and obedience from your master or teacher or guru. In the West we use the term as IA pointed out with too much carelessness and triviality and have lost the true meaning of being called a yogi.

I know people who call themselves yogis, but their lives do not reflect that. So be careful to whom you want to ascribe the word yogi.

[quote=InnerAthlete;14287]

Furthermore, I am told, the term yogi is incredibly sacred and should not be tossed around as cavalierly as it is. Of course a snowball rolling downhill often can not be stopped once it has reacher critical mass. So I suspect these terms will continue to be used over lattes at Starbucks.[/quote]

So true! To me, yogi is not something you call yourself but rather something someone else (a wise teacher, etc) one day calls you.