Foot Injury

have many questions and hope this is the correct format in which to ask questions. If not please let me know where to ask questions. I will be happy to re-submit.

I have, from the right broken foot episode: Plantar fasciatis, ankle tendonitis (the tarsel tunnel is about gone) in right foot; bursitis in left hip but both hips sort of lock up when standing up if i sit very long - even in a chair. I have some ulnar nerve damage in wrists and some thumb pain from using crutches. And my chondra-malasia in my knees is kicking in big time. I have continued my exercises you gave me from my first private with you plus JFS and sacral freeing work as well as all the stuff the pts have given me. I don’t even have the time or the strength to go through an entire regular yoga session anymore. After being in physical therapy for 3 months, i opted for a cortazone shot in my left bursa which has relieved most of the pain there and my gate is less altered.

I noticed in the questions a reference to stretching the IT band … critical for chondra-malasia and the hip problems I am having. The only thing pt is giving me is leg “hang-overs.” laying on my side with the top leg hanging over behind me and psoas stretches holding one knee while the other leg hangs off the edge of the table. I have done side stretches (bend to tight with left leg and foot placed behind the right). Because i am generally pretty flexible - none of these really seem to "get into the IT band.

For stretches to the IT band there are several alternatives what was given for you is the mildest of the possibilities. Moderate stretch can be done by standing side bend pushing out on the side of the hip joint to stretch the IT; one often needs to slightly rotate the pelvis for it to catch where you are tight. Another alternate is revolving head to knee pose (Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana). For most people this stretches the lumbar sacral fascial band but in some cases the pull will extend down the outer pelvis to the IT. Both these are a try it and see. The most intense IT stretch I have found is to sit in eagle pose (Garudasana), legs only and lay backward while attempting to keep knees stacked and close to the floor. On some by leaning forward with the same leg pose it will move to the IT; thought most feel it in the gluteus medius muscle. To my way of thinking stretching either is a good idea as the IT band attached t the gluteus medius, gluteus maximus and tensor fascia lata hence any stretch that affects any of these muscles will with relaxation to into the IT band.