Jala Neti

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums (and really to Yoga in general, I’ve only had about 6 weeks of classes).

I have a question about the Neti pot for anyone who knows much about them and doesn’t mind helping me out. Which is, can I use the pot too much?

I ask this because, oh about a month ago I started to regularly use it, and it has helped my sinuses tremendously. I have been a mouth breather for most of my life, because most of the time I cannot get any air through my nose. I have an 8 oz ceramic pot that I put 1/4 tsp of sea salt in 1-2 times a day through each nostril.

Now, the airflow through my right nostril is completely unrestricted, and feels great to breathe through. When I pour the saline into my left nostril, it comes out of the right fast, with almost no mucus.

On the other hand, my left is not so great. I am only able to breathe at all through my left nostril right after I run the saline through it, and even then, the airflow is very very restricted. While I am pouring the saline into the right…it flows out of my left very slowly…it seems more mucus comes out than actual salt water. When I’m doing it, I can feel all of this stuff coming loose deep in my nose, and even in my face, and it makes lots of pressure in my face and sinus (but feels GREAT getting that stuff out). Unfortunately one potful (8oz) is not enough to clear it all out. When the water runs out of the pot it feels as if there is so much more gunk almost ready to come out if only I had more water to pour through.

So really that is what my question is. I am very tempted to really attack that left nostril, and just constantly run salt water through it until it is COMPLETELY clean of mucus. Hopefully then airflow should be unrestricted in both nostrils, and I can finally stop mouthbreathing. Would you guys recommend this? Or should I be patient and just stick with 1-2 times a day and I guess let it slowly come out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

btw: i have no medical conditions that i know of, although it is possible that i have a “deviated septum” whatever that is because members of my family have it. I know it has something to do with the nose, it could be why my left side is so screwed up

also, how do you feel about putting baking soda in along with salt? I’ve read on several sites that people do this…seems a littel intense for me.

Let us look at a deeper issue. When one nostril is stuck, that indicates a closed opposite side of the cranium. Right nostril opening is left hemisphere brain function and vice versa. There is an axillary reflex yogis have know bout for sometime. When pressure is applied to the armpit either with hand or by laying on the side the opposite nostril opens within 30-90 seconds. I would suggest that you lay on your right side for about two minutes and see if this doesnot help you have more opening in left nostril then after that do the water snuffing.

In general i recommend using cold water not warm for neti as this helps acclimatize one for avoiding or lessening the severity of winter colds.  I also find many people do better without salt or other ingredients.  Experiment and see what is best for your constitution.  Kapha predomiant people usually need salt other constitutions might not benefit or even become aggravated by it.    namaste mukunda

thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

im afraid i don’t know what “kapha” means though. i’ve been using salt water, i dont think i have to worry much about winter in texas. i’ll definately try w/o salt though. thanks again!

Kapha is an Ayurvedic term relating to the principle of tissue building. In this case it refers to the body’s ability to create mucous. When kapha is balanced the mucous level is harmonious, when increased there is tendency for obstruction and illness.