Knee problem

I am in need of advice about a problem i have with my left knee. It would seem that i have some damage to the medial collateral ligament, I have pain after sitting for any time and especially walking down hill .My yoga practice is 2years old and is Ashtanga 5 times a week The knee injury is 3 months old and has not stopped my practice but i do exercise extreme care and avoid any of the straining knee bends. Am i wise to continue with care or should i rest it completely, alternatively maybe you could recommend some remedial asanas
yours sincerely john

John, from the sound of your knee I wonder if you are experiencing any inflammation or swelling during the painful episodes you report. If so I would recommend that you do a lighter practice emphasizing circulatory and lymphatic enhancing movements. One example of this is my Joint Freeing Series described in Structural Yoga Therapy book and charts. Another suggestion is to hold poses emphasizing upon feeling the tone of your adductors in addition to quadriceps. The more rapid paced Ashtanga series could be irritating your medial collateral ligament. These quick movements increase pitta and thus in your case can increase the likelihood of inflammation and irritation to this injury. Doing fewer poses that focus on the muscle tone mentioned may be more therapeutic. Some suggestions are Warrior I and II, Utkatasana (chair), bridge (Setubandhasana) with different widths of the thighs and feet including together. For more details refer to a series of articles on Yoga Therapy for knees and shoulders that I wrote, reprints are available either from Yoga International or me.