Muscle spasm question

I have a muscle spasm that I am trying to relieve. It is located either between the right scapula and the spine (about middle of scapula) or perhaps is serratus. It hurts when I take a deep breath, and when I do cat ? both up and down, more with the chest going down. A look at my anatomy cards tells me it could be mid or lower trap, rhomboid, or maybe the serratus. I tried cat, sitting twists, ustrasana, virasana, cobra, and child pose. Still have the spasm! I?ve had it in the past and it would generally spread to the entire back ? immobilizing me with the pain. It would happen when I was so stressed that I felt I could not carry out what was needed ? so my body said - ?you don?t have to ? I?ll fix it so you can?t!? So I?m trying nature walks and breathing. Had an unusually hard time falling asleep last nite.

Sounds like serratus when you say hurting with deep breaths and also with cats. Suggestion is to do fetal and/or knee to chest and extremely slowly and prolonged rest. Then gradually pull scapula closer while deep breathing. Joining arms behind back and slowly pulling. Optimal is to have someone pull on you but other option is to do next to wall or couch and rest against it with hands interlocked and slowly open it while deepening your intercostal focused breaths. I suspect fetal will work better. Go exceptionally slowly I am talking 10-30 minutes here for one pose. After it begins to open then variations with spinal twist on the theme should help single side to open and let go. Namaste, Mukunda

Great that this often the case, just doing JFS will calm vata and by subduing its imbalances then pain disappears. Blessings.

Namaste to All!

In addition to the sound advice and feedback given on this subject thus far, I would also suggest that ongoing manifestation of muscle spasm symptoms may imply some degree of nutritional depletion in the body’s biochemistry. Recommended supplementation would include a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement with all three minerals in one tablet
and a B-Complex supplement. Organic sourced supplements generally have a much faster dissolve time and, thus, more effective assimilation into the blood chemistry than synthetically produced vitamins and minerals.

Additionally, Homeopathic Medicines such as Bryonia Alba 30C, Arnica Montana 30C, and Colocynthis 30C may provide some symptomatic relief as well. These may be used concurrently with the Nutritional Supplements, but should be taken between meals or on an empty stomach rather than with food like the vitamins and minerals. Hope this
helps you!

Hari Om! Adityananda

Adityananda -

Thank you for your input on nutritional factors. I am very ignorant in this arena of life so your comments are appreciated. namaste mukunda