Pranayama - hyperventilation

Working with people using the wave breath, I have discovered that there is sometimes a response of lightheadedness being reported. Both experienced yoga practitioners and novices at pranayama have reported this sensation. In researching the why’s and how’s of this, it seems that there is a physiological interaction of CO2 levels and Oxygen levels in the blood, and an interesting correlation between yogic pranayama and hyperventilation.

In hyperventilation, the person is breathing too rapidly, often through the mouth, and often in response to stress. Oxygen levels increase in comparison to CO2 levels. The drop in the balance causes a reduction in available oxygen for the blood stream (and therefore organs, brain, etc.) because the CO2 functions to bond the oxygen to the hemoglobin cells. In articles I have read about hyperventilation, this is associated with increased levels of stress and related stress hormones, fight or flight syndrome, and anxiety. In addition, the mind becomes more alert, the pupils dilate increasing one’s visual awareness, muscles tense, heart rate increases to deliver more oxygen, etc., (ref. web site http://www.buteyko.co.nz/buteyko/work/hyperventilation.cfm).

In practicing pranayama, the intention of the practice is to increase blood supply and conscious “presence,” however decrease levels of anxiety, stress hormones, etc., inducing a state of calm alertness, as well as increased vitality (prana), useful both in Asana and in focusing the mind for Meditation. In my opinion, the novice practitioner is likely increasing the oxygen supply, but has not yet adapted the physiology of the body to handle this increase in oxygen, therefore the lightheaded feeling is caused by a lack of oxygen absorption, due to the decrease in CO2 levels which allow the body to absorb the oxygen being delivered through the increased respiration. In addition, the novice is likely to be breathing too rapidly (another symptom of hyperventilation, but in this case because of the depth of the breath, the number of cycles of inhale and exhale to produce the imbalance of oxygen/CO2 is less than for someone not practicing pranayama - that is - the imbalance can occur on long slow breaths in pranayama, and on short chest breathing in the asthmatic or panic sufferer).

I have recommended to students reporting this reaction, to lengthen the exhale, allowing a sigh, or mouth exhale, which is longer than the inhale. Also, to back off on the pranayama effort until the symptom is relieved. The information that I have read recommends that an average person breathes 12 to 14 times per minute. In clocking my own inhale and exhale while seated and relaxed, using a gentle (not like in seated pranayama where there is a concerted effort toward the maximum tidal volume of air) breath, I find that I comfortably breath 3 times in one minute, with no discomfort or sense of strain. I therefore suspect that as student?s effort to use muscles of respiration that they are not accustomed to, they are inhaling a much larger quantity of oxygen than normal and upsetting this balance.

If this is what is happening, a couple of interesting questions arise. 1 - If hyperventilation leads to an increase in the stress/anxiety response, why doesn’t that happen during the lightheaded feeling of the learning pranayama student? 2 - Also, for the more experienced yoga breather, could they be experiencing the energy effect of Udana Prana rather than the lack of CO2 effect of lightheadedness? 3 - please comment what recommendations you have for teaching wave breath and how to best direct the student if symptoms of lightheadedness occur. 4 - Are there other responses that I should be alert for as a teacher?

In my experience, the students who have been novices and reported this symptom are doing wave breath “correctly” using the appropriate muscles, but that this is a new way for them to breath. The experienced practitioner feels no discomfort with the sensation, but is aware of a sensation of lightheadedness occasionally. When questioned about if this is a lightheadedness as in dizziness which is uncomfortable or a sensation of upward movement or rising which is not worrisome, she responded that it was the latter – hence my suspicion that she is experiencing Udana Prana rather than hyperventilation. Sorry this is so long - I am really wordy sometimes! Your comments and suggestions are most appreciated.

Namaste Jai Ma, C

First question the stress/anxiety effect can occur during altering of respiration. One of my clients is a psychiatrist in Boston he recently gave me a medical research paper entitled “relaxation-induce anxiety: paradoxical anxiety enhancement due to relaxation training” published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1983, vol. 51, #2, page 171-182. This paper overviewed studies of the paradox of anxiety resulting in subjects training in progressive relaxation, biofeedback and mantra meditation. In all instances of relaxation training respiration decreased. Postulations as to why this phenomenon would occur ranged from stress of the laboratory setting, physiological monitoring, experimental factors, and the idea that focused cognitive attention is more anxiety provoking than somatic attention. My answer to this question is primarily that the instructor vs. experimenter is in different attitudes and energy fields that students or subjects subjectively experience as comfort or stress.

2 - It is my belief that the relaxation of the instructor and their degree of mastery of the techniques of serenity produces a pranic force (Udana Prana), which is simultaneously spiritual uplifting and calming. This force is both intrinsic to good practice as well as transmitted through mysterious ways into the student. This will result in experiences ranging from pleasant feelings to unpleasant as it can stir up the discharge of suppressed energies and emotions.

3 - Teaching ujjaye pranayama (the wave breath) is described fully in my book Structural Yoga Therapy no further details are needed. The simple version is to relax the abdomen and allow the inhalation to descend gradually lower. The exhalation is an ascending motion from the lower abdomen up through the torso and out the nostrils. Lightheadedness can also arise from low blood pressure. Students with this condition are cautioned to do the pranayama for shorter periods of time and to eliminate any pausing or holding of breath.

4 - Watch the students outer body for seeing the minimal of motions in the chest and that the wave does indeed progress up and down through the torso. On the energy level observe that the students skin color remains consistent. When students are doing the technique well they will naturally go into alpha brain wave patterns as shown by rapid eye motions. Often these motions go unnoticed. Calling the students attention to this can also facilitate a greater ease to the increasing udana prana and the upward moving energy. Feelings of physical or emotional lightness rather than light-headedness are beneficial. Encourage and talk about all the signs that students experience, rather than talking about those which they are not experiencing as yet.