Rotator Cuff

Namaste, I have been suffering for about 10 months with repetitive injuries to my rotator cup. At one time I could do reverse Namaste, downward dog, etc., without pain. Now I can barely rotate my arm around to my back. I am undergoing acupuncture and massage therapy/with resistance work to help ease the pain. What yoga asanas would be good to begin to slowly open this shoulder up and release in this area. Many thanks, Om Shanti D

D - There are many different motions of the rotator cuff. Primarily it is internal and external rotation but when you add other possibilities – extension, flexion, abduction, adduction it complicates the process. To be on the safe side I would recommend just doing my Joint Freeing Series alone for 7-10 days and no asanas. Then take up asanas and do those, which gradually extend the ROM slowly. I cannot make specific ethical recommendations about this injury without seeing you. It is too likely to be irritated without adequate professional assessment. Where are you from? If possible consider a personal visit to me, my travel schedule (on website see workshops) is extensive enough to likely be close to you at some point. Best wishes in your healing. Mukunda