Sun Salutation Question

Hi - can you explain what is going on when people can’t
bring their foot from down dog into a lunge on the sun salutations.
They only get their foot part way forward and then their knee is way
out ahead of their ankle. I know that sometimes people bring their
foot forward too early without bringing it forward as their shoulders and hips move.
I also know there are some ways that they can come to the floor in
table and then bring the foot forward as a modification. What I’m
trying to figure out is what muscles are involved, and what poses do
I do to create the hip flexion (or whatever it is that is needed) for
them to gradually be able to do this or a magic move to allow them
to accomplish this.
Sun Salutations are great and I know that some of my students get discouraged because they can’t move from the down dog to the lunge easily.

Thanks!

Cheryl

There are two main reasons for this. most likely is weakness in the hip flexors (psoas, rectus femoris, and adductors). Another is tight hamstrings and gluteals. One suggestion is to bring the knee to the ribs and hold it there while in dog pose this will clearly isolate the hip flexors and they can learn to feel what it is like for them to be challenged. Then learn to do this as you quickly bring the foot forward. with practice the foot will come even with the finger tips and no adjusting is needed. Also they can practice hip flexor tone while doing Sunbird with knee to chest in motion 7 of my joint freeing series; legs up pose one at a time; stick pose flexing hip flexors no wegith on arms; dog pose pull the top of the pelvis toward the thighs. many choices will tone what is lacking. namaste mukunda