Why the right side after savasana?

I practice with Yoga DVDs. On so many of my yoga DVDs after savasana we are instructed to turn to lying on the right side (fetal like position) before sitting up. Why? Why always the [I]right [/I]side? And is it ok to skip that step and just roll up to sitting? I just find that an easier way to get up.

Thanks!

Rolling on the side is a more gentle way for getting up for most. However, you can gently roll up to sitting, too. If you stay on your right side for a while, this will open up your left nostril to promote further relaxation and prepare you for meditation. If you stay on your left side for a while, this will open up your right nostril and prepare you for your daily activities. So it is not really appropriate to always turn on your right side. It depends on what you want to do next.

Hello Missi,

There are several reasons to come out of the asana practice in the way you illustrate. First, it should be clarified that there is no “always”. For example in this case it would not be appropriate for a pregnant woman to roll to the right. Instead she should roll to the left. So as Willem has kindly pointed out, it “depends”.

Seeing as how you’ve asked about rolling to a particular side, but contrasted that not with rolling left but with rolling up, I should explain the purpose of rolling to a side at all.

An appropriate Savasana provides the room for the student’s nervous system to shift to a parasympathetic state. That is a sate of ease - lower heart rate and blood pressure, stimulation of the digestive processes, lower body temperature, release of endorphins. For this reason it is imperative that students come out of Savasana gradually, slowly, with no hurry or jarring action. Additionally, rolling to the side and pressing the floor inhibits tension in the neck and lower back.

As to the right side over the left…
This brings the heart on top, regulates the pulse, prevents compression in the heart, frees up the nadi (channel) associated with the left nostril, and it is the auspicious side to boot.

also, in most of my classes my teachers point out that this is the fetal position symbolizing the re-birth that you feel at the end of the class

:confused: Why, we turn to the right side in fetal position, after the final meditation? :rolleyes: Why not the left side?

Hello Carlos and welcome to the forum. I moved your question to this thread so that you can read the question and answers that others have shared on the topic. I hope this answers your question, but if not, don’t be shy about asking for more specifics.

All the best,
Nichole

Hi! Thanks for all the responses!

(So sorry for my delay in gratitude, I just realized I haven’t been getting any email alerts for threads I’m subscribed to :eek:)