Can't activate/feel Ajna Chakra properly

Namaskar,

I’ve been practicing the exercises of a book named Kundalini Tantra. The first part of the program consists in a series of exercises for awakening the six main chakras (from Muladhara to Ajna) and Bindu Visarga. Month by month, you engage the exercises of the next chakra, finally practicing a set of chakra integrating exercises.
The second part of the program consists in Kriya Yoga, the twenty main Kundalini Kriyas. For that, one should perfectly feel the chakra trigger points.

I’ve succesfully achieved to activate Muladhana, Swadisthana, Manipura, Anahata, Vishuddha and Bindu, but can’t do with Ajna. I’ve repeated Ajna exercises for two months more without results. And this was not written in the book, it should be, one set one month one chakra. I occasionally achieve to feel Ajna, and for some seconds only, as when i finished my first Ajna month. It’s like Ajna scaped from my attention, like playing hide and seek with me.

Has anyone coped with similar Ajna troubles?

After six years of meditation pratice i haven’t achieved to deepen further, i occasionally experience “good” meditations. Could this have some relationship with Ajna awakening?

The practices for Ajna were:

• Anuloma Viloma Pranayama with Prana Shuddhi
  • Trataka
  • Shambhavi Mudra with Om chanting

The first one was specially difficult to me. I consists in four alternate nostril breathing rounds (without the aid of your hand) and then inhaling and exhaling from both nostrils and again 4 alternate rounds then inhaling/exhaling from both and so on… and counting the rounds from 100 to 1. Should there be any error in counting, one should to start again from 100. It is very important to keep the practice in the conscious sphere, as only thus one would reap benefits.

I think i’m naturally born clunky for that.

Despite this, the third practice has been very powerful. I’ve felt true waves of blissful prana flowing from my eyebrow to my two lower chakras.

If anyone knows about other Ajna awakening techniques i would be very grateful to hear about.

Thank you!

Wow. You’ve shown beautiful dedication to focus on each chakra for one month and do the exercises with such devotion.

The thing that comes up for me when reading your description is that, though I acknowledge great benefit from discipline, it may be that you could soften your approach to this practice. Perhaps there is a rigidity in the approach that is making it harder - it could be as simple as the frustration you seem to feel at working so hard and not feeling Ajna as you think you should. Discipline can lead to such delight. Let it be sweet.

It does sound like you have had beautiful experiences with Ajna, even if they have not been as consistent as you might expect. My thought is that it might open up more if you can simply accept your experience as perfect no matter how it comes, and that it will most likely be different every time.

Focus, for sure, but also be spacious. From the inside expand your awareness, and then within that vast spaciousness refine your focus and do the exercises that feel right to you with no attachment to the outcome. This is my suggestion, should it resonate with you.

Blessings,

Katrina

I’ve successfully achieved to activate Muladhana, Swadisthana, Manipura, Anahata, Vishuddha and Bindu, but can’t do with Ajna. I’ve repeated Ajna exercises for two months more without results. And this was not written in the book, it should be, one set one month one chakra. I occasionally achieve to feel Ajna, and for some seconds only, as when i finished my first Ajna month. It’s like Ajna scaped from my attention, like playing hide and seek with me.
Hey Panoramix,

Perhaps I have a rather unorthodox explanation for why you can sense all chakra’s except ajna: It is Ajna itself from which you are sensing the other ones… Like eyes can only see what are in front of them, so too can you only sense what’s ‘below’ your position from which you view.

You say: [I]“It is like Ajna escaped from my attention”[/I] this could be because ajna [I]is[/I] the corresponding point of reference of your attention itself. So in simpler terms, you are currently looking from ajna and thus you cannot see ajna itself.

Note that I personally am not into developing chakra’s but I have been at some point. All I can say is that what you would call ajna, is what I feel nowadays when simply relaxing further ‘back’ into my awareness. Like I take a step back and just relax and open up my perception. It is then that ajna is naturally felt in my experience.

So I think that you are using ajna as the very source of looking for the chakra’s, but in order to truly sense ajna, you need to go beyond, meaning, you need to sit back and relax: open up your perception to ‘what is present’ and stop looking for anything whatsoever for a few moments. I am pretty confident this will get you to feel the conceptual reality they call Ajna.

Chakra’s are a relative reality in my experience, meaning that they are conceptual and exist only in relation to our wishes and creation. But if you wish to sense Ajna, than this is my tip for you: Relax and just be completely open to the present. When you do this, you touch on the absolute reality, and from that position-less being, the relative reality you seem to live in is seen with clarity and from there everything becomes easy. If your wish is to sense Ajna, you most likely will from this openness of perception. Not from looking and seeking for it, as is your experience at this point.

With Love,
Bentinho.

Katrina, Bentinho:

What a nice advice you have given! I would bet i’m pushing too much and idealizing the experience before having it, thus casting myself apart from it.

Yes, perhaps the key is adopting a meditative attitude when “fetching” Ajna, as it is not so much an “object” as other chakras could be, but rather a “subject” (me, the mortal ego). Kriya Yoga is difficult, very difficult. At least, to me.

I will try tonight proper.

Thank you fellows, i’ll post latter on about how’s going on…

Namah Shivaya!

Panoramix,

If you believe Amazon.com, Kundalini Tantra is a highly rated book. If you’ve been following this, you probably have as much expertise in this area as anyone on the forum. I want to point out though, that this type of practice goes beyond the realm of hatha or asta anga yoga and into the realm of Vedic spiritual practice. You might get better responses from monks or swamis rather than yoga teachers and practitioners.

Hi Asuri,
In fact, it’s Tantra, pure Tantra.
Thanks for replying friend.

Namaskar again,

I don’t know how or why, but finally i’ve succeeded to feel Ajna (coarsely), as it had the size of a pea.

I’m also making a nice progress in the Kriya Yoga practices.

Thanks to all who supported me.

Namah shivaya!

Hi panoramix,
I am happy to see lot of people here, working their way towards self realization just like me.

I would like to share a couple of things that worked for me with everyone.

It is always better to raise Kundalini with the help of a guru. It is said that a guru can awaken Kundalini for his disciple just by seeing there or even thinking about them. The Place where I got this experience is SKY-Simplified Kundalini Yoga (Also called Vedadriyam)-Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. I am sure they have established training centers in many places internationally. I know that we have one here at Toronto, Canada.
First the guru (in this case my mom) gave a touch on the Muladhara chakra and asked me to keep my mind on her fingers and slowly raised it through different chakras along the spine to till the agna chakra (point between eyebrows), then back to Muladhara chakra and I was amazed to feel the energy also raised from Muladhara to agna chakra(very weak at that time felt like an ant crawling on my back) .

Then, as I practiced daily, I was able to raise it myself and bring it back to Muladhara chakra (this bringing the energy back is called bringing Shanti to oneself, this is very important and staying for longer times in Agna in not advisable at early stages). Think of strengthening lower chakras as building a foundation of a pyramid before putting the capstone (Agna or Sahasara Chakras) and it is advisable to be able to feel all the lower chakras on your way up to the Agna chakra. Now a days, If I just close my eyes sometimes even by staring a point on the wall I am able to realize the agna chakra.

First thing that could help is putting a small form of constant pressure between the eyebrows. I am doing this by sticking a bindi little higher (may be 1cm) above the point between the eyebrows (You can see many Indian - Hindu women wear this on daily basis-though it is mostly worn for beauty purpose or based on religious customs).

Secondly, try to focus between eyebrows but don?t concentrate too much by force between the eyebrows. Think of it as the realisation of agna will embrace you if you surrender and embrace it rather than trying to catch it by the neck (I know this analogy is vague but this is the best analogy that I could come up with and it worked for me).

Thirdly try to enter a thoughtless state by focussing between the empty state of mind interval between the thoughts and trying to expand that time interval of the thoughtless state. Slowly with practice you will spend more time between thoughts (Thoughtless state) that the time on thoughts. This will automatically give a touch like feel between the eyebrows which means the agna chakra is starting to awaken.

Finally, in my view, it is the question of belief, perseverance, dedication and determination towards the goal. One must realise that it?s only a matter of time before which he/she will realize it if he/she keeps practising regularly.

Hope this Helps.

Regards,
-Montrealraaj.

Dear Panoramix,
What kind of Kriya are you doing? Were you initiated into Kriya? It seems that it is important to have a master to guide you through the kriya process. I am practicing shambhavi mahamudra kriya for a year and a half with Isha yoga, and it was a transformational experience for me so far.
Blessings,
CaraCara

[QUOTE=panoramix;23509]Namaskar,
Has anyone coped with similar Ajna troubles?
[/QUOTE]Ajna chakra is complicated. Try to put your right hand on your forehead and say:[B]“I forgive everything to everyone”.[/B]
Ajna Chakra

I had forgotten this thread… i’m sorry fellows. :cool:

montrealraaj:

I’m doing fine with Ajna, it’s Vishuddha what is playing hide and seek with me actually.

CaraCara:

I received diksha at the Kriya Yoga Ashram in Risikesh from master Swami Shankarananda Giri. But i forgot to take note of the exercises we were taught, and forgot them all. Actually i’m performing the Kriya Yoga of the Saraswati lineage (Kundalini Tantra).

Seeker33:

Isn’t that Sahaja Yoga?

I think there are two ways to make the third practice you list more potent. That is:-

1.To intone the bija mantra mentally/silently,as supposed to chanting or whispering, Ommmm( somewhere i have heard it said as sounding more like Ong when it is listened for) I would’nt advise doing this for more than a couple of times- up to 2 or 3 is likely sufficient to activate enough vibrational energies for an average state of purification.

2.To locate the pulsation right where Ajna proper/Third-Eye central is located which is more or less above and behind the nasal septum,top of the wind-pipe then,throat etc in the locale of the pituitary and pineal glands( it may be called ‘cave of brahmin’ or some such thing in some sources). The brhamadaya as it is called, located between the eye-brows, is i have read, more where ajna chakra is felt.It is an easier exercise to put, place our awareness there.

Also it worth bearing in mind that all the practices of a tantric sadhana are not practiced of course in isolation- that all the chakras need purifying.This takes alot of patience and cultivating sensitivity to the flow of pranic currents throughout the subtle body.The Kundalini Tantra method outlined in that book is to start first with ajna( the control centre) and muladhara, then acending upwards in sequence.

For safety reasons the effects are negotiated over a times-scale of they say a month for each chakra(so 8 months total for purificatory stage) before any kriya yoga practices take place( and then they recommend the guidance of an experienced teacher or guru)

Of course this is all for safety reasons.

I am working on a tantric sadhana myself based on the book ‘Kundalini Tantra’ by Swami Satyananda Saraswati.It is also worth getting to grip with the shatkarmas-methods of purifying body and mind.I do have experience with a complete or full scope meditation-based yoga system called AYP( see their website aypsite.org for more details) so i would hardly say i am out of my depth.

The only drawback ,if there is one, is that it can take a certain amount of time,patience and discipline to purify & awaken your kundalini sufficently.But things worthwhile in life often do not come without some effort.I would say however the investment in the time and energy is well worth it.Opening the doors to one’s full potential and kickstarting one’s personal evolution, i could’nt think of a better project to engage in.

A Tantric sadhana is basically a sadhana that tries to incorporates and integrates within a broad spectrum practice approach most of the main yogas.Meditation ,sometimes on the chakras/psycho-energetic centres of Consciousness,within the subtle body ( laya yoga), is a main key to that endeavour.

As i say, it can take some time and effort,patience and discipline( i.e structured & self-paced ,self-directed practice) though, but it is well worth it.

(Note:-Also to add here- the explanation Benthino offers is a reasonable one- as the chakras are often likely felt or intuited via ajna ,ajna being the control centre for the others.It is probably best the crown ,for that matters,opens by itself naturally ; that would seem the safest idealist way, to me.Might not be a huge deal but probably best getting some opening in ajna first before proceeding to the others and working your way up.You learn to feel the currenst and pranic movements in your psychic subtle anatomy as you practice consistently and move along-gain experience,progress etc baby steps ideally.You are basically gently prizing open your own nervous system and it’s internal dynamics( through ‘active surrender’) through a gentle but gradual and systematic [I]nudging[/I] process)

1.I will add to this that there are techniques i found within taoist yoga & others that involve starting, as i’m led to believe, distant gazing on an external point at eye-level(external trataka before internal trataka) then moving to----- the tip of those nose(you see a double inverted ‘V’ shape where both sides of nose intersect accordin to the optical visual feeback).The tip of the nose is one of the classic best known kundalini yoga methods for helping awaken muladhara, as well as working on the perineal body/perineum and isolating it-mentally and physically using hatha techniques…

2.Then the bridge of the nose(the top)-this is where ida and pingala supposedly converge at ajna)

3.And then moving on to Bhrumadya,where the ajna chakra is felt; between the eyebrows ( not necessarily where it is located,although technically chakras have no actual physical location.In Satyananda yoga they call it the kshetram because that is where they are typically felt.)

4.And then Ajna central.

This is what i have been exploring;Others can chime in here what they think.This would interest me certainly.3 transitioning to four 4 maybe less important but bear in mind the Third eye in it’s entirety extends all the way from the front at the eyebrows/frontal lobes through the middle,Central to the occiptal region right at the back of the brain( this is where the eyes process )So it essentially covers the whole base region of the brain,loosely speaking, if we want to put a physical location on it ( although obviously that is incorrect, but in terms of where to place our awareness ,helpful).

I would say Yogic gazing techniques may primarily help awaken muladhara/root and ajna/brow chakras, the two poles of the psychic and physical nervous system.,which is the starting point for getting some ecstatic conductivity or kundalini flowing.That’s like a base for helping unite positive and negative charges,opposite poles,shiva & shakti, etcetera.

Also trataka is noted as a shatkarma in the hatha yoga pradipka but probably neglected in practice.There is also internal trataka too once you have mastered and centred yourself with external trataka.

Hi Parallax,

Of course you’re not alone. My main problem ones or areas are most likely manipura and anahata and to some lesser extent probably vishuddhi also.Funny how we’ve all got obstructions of one kind or another in different places.Obviously the chakras are best tackled like a stair case favouring ajna first as that book referred to outlines.

The good news is that they can be dealt with as long as we’re engaged in a structure practice.I love the systematic,all-encompassing and scientific (& safe & sound)approach of the Bihar/Satyananda school.They have such a wealth of spiritual practices as outlined in their books catering for all kind of temperaments,yoga branches and individuals ,whatever your condition or persuasion.

Hey Panoramix,

I had similar issues of non-feeling of Ajna. I found an e-book called “Awakening the Third Eye” by Samuel Sagan, did the practices and bingo! It was pretty pleased how simple it turned out to be after all the trouble I had before. He started the Clairvision School.

I just discovered there’s a weekend workshop doing this in Singapore this weekend but I can’t go :frowning:

But it’s worth finding the book!

good luck my friend!

Hello Panoramix,

Since you say that you have awakened Ajna as well…I have certain questions
( even others can answer :smiley: )

1. I read that if ajna/third eye is awakened the person gets to be a “all-knowing”;“all-seeing” type and gets psychic,intuitive powers…So how is your experience with respect to this?

2. To awaken the ajna, i read that while meditating, eyes closed, focus/concentrate on middle of eyebrow…Now wont this strain the eyes, headache and cause some harm in the long term?
    ( Moreover was this the same method you took to awaken ajna)

Hello SMB,

I have achieved no powers yet. In fact, i’m not sure what do scriptures exactly mean for “awakening”. Theoretically siddhis are to appear when Kundalini Shakti pierces the chakras. That for the theory, but in practice, looks like there are “different” K awakenings, from milder to stronger (perhaps related to the kosha or body She pierces through, i don’t know). To my understanding siddhis come when the aspirant experiences a full-bloom K awakening.

My chakras and K awakening, so to speak, is “pranic”, not “spiritual”. I think it occurs in my Pranamaya Kosha, or pranic body. This could be due to my actual development stage, i’m still far from saintliness you know… I can feel my chakras in my subtle body, they are like vibrating energy vortexes, sometimes i can focus even more and feel the trigger point or the point they “spring” from. But i haven’t unlocked the misteries and wonders awaiting in subtler koshas.

I practiced Shambavi for 15 minutes daily. I don’t know what could be the long run effects if practiced for longer periods.
To me was straining. I have to admit that it scared me a bit.
Finally no eye illness was developed. Just follow the teachings you’ve given.

Hope this helped.

Bye!

[quote=rik_ananda;31183]Hey Panoramix,

I had similar issues of non-feeling of Ajna. I found an e-book called “Awakening the Third Eye” by Samuel Sagan, did the practices and bingo! It was pretty pleased how simple it turned out to be after all the trouble I had before. He started the Clairvision School.

I just discovered there’s a weekend workshop doing this in Singapore this weekend but I can’t go :frowning:

But it’s worth finding the book!

good luck my friend![/quote]

Hi rik_ananda,

I did already download that work. Haven’t read it yet. There’s few need actually as my Ajna has finally been well activated.

Thanks anyway.

Bye!

To work effectively on ajina chakra you have to use moola bhanda properly, because the two chakra are very close related, when you feel you can master the bhanda you can start to work on the mind.

I did a very tough kriya of Kundalini yoga, whare after an use of bhastrika and a specific meditation I felt very clear the sensation of the orgasm produced by the awakwning of Ajina. However this sesation lasted only few menutes.

Namaskar core789,

It’s really nice to know about someone embarking the same boat!

I humbly apreciate your detailed, thorough post friend.

Ajna was finally done. I added two months of practice to the outlined one (in the Kundalini Tantra book).
At the time of locating it, I imagined a cross within my skull, the horizontal beam along the ears, and the vertical through the center of my face. That served me as “target” or “crosshairs” for fetching Ajna.

Now i’m coping with Vishuddhi. The rest of chakras and kshetrams have more or less been “tamed” (or at least, that’s what i believe). I can locate and feel Vishuddhi after some seconds, using its kshetram as departure point, but i’m not able yet to immediatly feel it while I descend down Awarohan exhaling with Ujjayi and performing Unmani Mudra (so difficult all that!). But i’m pretty close, i’ve added yet a month more of Vishuddhi practices, and i’m making a nice progress. Once it is mastered, i’ll be ready for practicing the basic/generic Kriya Yoga practice properly.

I’m curious, have you already dealt with the Kundalini Kriyas?

Have you planned a further set of practices once you master Kundalini Tantra (Tattva Shuddhi, Prana Vidya…)?