Invitation to Yoga Sutras Study Group

Namaste.

With great respect and love, we begin this study group on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.

We met during Mukunda’s Workshop in London this April and decided to pursue his suggestion of a study group. We intend to use this platform to facilitate our deeper understanding of the Yoga Sutras in pursuit of svadhyaya (self-study). We invite you to join us and share your knowledge and understanding with our beginner’s group.

We are using Mukunda’s book, Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, as our primary text and are complementing it with other translations of the Sutras. The Sanskrit text and interpretation of the sutras is taken from Mukunda’s book. Parts of our discussions of the sutras which rely on the other commentaries will be noted.

We will approach the Sutras using Krishnamacharya’s view that each of the four chapters is specific to 4 archetypal students. These four types/paths (1) are

1. Devotional ? Bhakti Yoga ? Chapter 1: Samadhi Pada - On Being Absorbed in the Spirit.
  2. Selfless Service ? KarmaYoga - Chapter 2: Sadhana Pada ? On Practices for Being Immersed in the Spirit.
  3. Meditation ? Raja Yoga ? Chapter 3: Vibhuti Pada ? On Supernatural Abilities and Gifts.
  4. Wisdom ? Jnana Yoga ? Chapter 4: Kaivalya Pada ? On Absolute Freedom.

Using these guidelines, we will seek to identify our individual archetype and make use of the appropriate sutras to further our sadhana.

Sadgurunath Maharaj ki Jay ? Victory to the True Self

Jagadambe Mata ki Jay
? Salutations to the Divine Mother

(1) Based on class notes, the Introduction of ?Yoga Sutras of Patanjali ? as interpreted by Mukunda Stiles?, Spirit’s Path ? a sharing (posted by Mukunda, August 28, 2005)

Thank you for the invitation Lavina.

Each time I read the Sutra’s from different translations I connect with and see something, both in the meaning and in myself. Mukunda’s translation has opened up another window for me, almost poetic and vibrant. Therefore looking into the idea of the 4 archetypal students is something I have never considered in respect of my own practice. Initially I see aspects of myself in each type but not wholey in one. So this is going to be intresting…

I wanted to draw attention to this invitation extended by Lavina back in May 2006. Namaste

We have some new members who seem interested in the Yoga sutras so I wanted raise this invitation and encourage you to participate.
Please join in the discussion using the edition of Patanjali’s sutras that you enjoy the most.

Namaste

Lavina has posted a recent sutra of Patanjali for us to study and discuss, and so I wanted to again, bring attention to her invitation to join in the reading, the [I]svadyaya[/I] (introspective, self-study) and discussion.

*nichole