Is spritiual belief required to be a yogi?

I consider myself an atheist. I was raised as a Christian, but over the past 10years I’ve rejected that for non-theism.

However, I note (at least online) that most yogis/yoginis emphasise spiritual practice as part of yoga. Of course, yoga’s roots are spiritual, but as a non-theist I don’t really care about spirituality. So can an atheist be a yogi, or do I need to adopt spiritual beliefs to be as such?

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83682]I consider myself an atheist. I was raised as a Christian, but over the past 10years I’ve rejected that for non-theism.

However, I note (at least online) that most yogis/yoginis emphasise spiritual practice as part of yoga. Of course, yoga’s roots are spiritual, but as a non-theist I don’t really care about spirituality. So can an atheist be a yogi, or do I need to adopt spiritual beliefs to be as such?[/QUOTE]

yogaå citta-vëtti-nirodhaï
tadâ dra??uï svarûpe ?vasthânam
vëtti-sârûpyam itaratra

Essentially:
Yoga is to still the patterning of consciousness.
Then, pure awareness can abide in its very nature.
Otherwise, awareness takes itself to be the patterns of consciousness.

Luckily for you, no belief is required. In fact, beliefs are blockades. Better to be free.

Your statement is based on premises which need examination. Like many, you seem to firmly “believe” that spirituality is the exclusive domain of the religion. When today’s scientists penetrate beyond the atom and find a bottomless pit or when experiments show that any phenomenon presents itself as per ‘the observer’s desire’ even the science is dealing with subtle forces. Spirituality is the same subtlety; but the particle physics and quantum physics are “acceptable” to us, but the word spirituality is not. We are still waiting for science to accept spiritualty as the ‘science of matter’ and to develop suitable jargon to express phenomenon spiritually.

So, the apparent friction between atheism and spirituality is actually a “belief” system and nothing to do with spirituality, the science of subtle matter. Not to care for spirituality is also like a biologist rejecting the particles as non-essential or even non-existent.

So, simply put, can one do asanas and not care for the spirituality of yoga? Yes, you are most welcome. The fact of the matter is that the two are not mutually exclusive, but are co-existing - one at the gross level and the other, simultaneously at its subtle level. To stay engrossed in the apparent and not look deeper is always one’s choice.

Yes. Just continue with your yoga practice for health benefits. If you don’t object to simple meditation for stilling your mind then it’s possible to add this practice without compromising your non-theism. So just continue.

Best.

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83682]

Is spritiual belief required to be a yogi?

I consider myself an atheist.

I don’t really care about spirituality.

So can an atheist be a yogi, or do I need to adopt spiritual beliefs to be as such?[/QUOTE]

Religion is when you believe someone else’s experience spirituality is when you have your own experience; beliefs are simply concepts, fabrications of the mind, illusions, reality is that which cannot be subrated by any other experience. I’m not sure which is more silly Atheism or Theism since one “believes” in god the other “believes” there is no god, Spirituality = Truth therefore if one is not interested in Truth one will not be interested in spirituality. Believe nothing anybody tells you including these words, believe not even you own mind till you’ve traced all notion to their source. If you practice the eight limbs of Yoga and it makes your body, mind less fussy and life somewhat easier why would you not continue…

lol…

So my beliefs are silly? lol…

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83693]lol…

So my beliefs are silly? lol…[/QUOTE]

Not your beliefs all beliefs and I?ll agree it is rather funny when a belief is so strong it becomes invisible and takes the form of reality, certainly don?t believe what I say think for yourself on a deeper level, recognize the false as false and your beliefs will dissolve; Truth cannot be relative but beliefs are; beliefs are nothing more than likes/dislikes of the human mind, there?re 7 billion human mind on the planet each with different likes/dislikes mostly dependent on when and where you were born and raised, who you were exposed to, anything that caused the programing of your mind, pick anyone subject and you have the possibility of 7 billion different opinions (beliefs), which one is the right one?I?ll save you some time, none of them are. Yoga helps to deprogram the mind allowing expansion of consciousness. Believe whatever you want but realize beliefs are nothing more than projections of one’s own mind and just because there may be a few things which all have agreed upon, that does not make it the Truth. Truth is not a question of numbers of how many people agree or disagree with certain ideas; it is not a popularity contest. In fact once one is awakened to the Truth it completely shatters everything that one has assumed about existence up till that point. All of one’s clinging to belief systems, ideas, concepts and philosophies will be rendered irrelevant.

Before continuing:

1. What is your concept of “being a yogi”?
  2. What is your concept of “being spiritual”?

I would bet your original question could be “self-answered” once elucidated these two questions.

Practicing Yoga is the point of Yoga.

I guess it might be required one declare a belief or go along with the crowd in some circles in order to earn a title so some other person can say yes, yes by the authority of the park ranger we hereby declare this picnic basket scrounger a yogi. He was first a Boo Boo. But now a Yogi.

Spirituality or knowing God is real, is not a belief. It is a state of being from which comes a state of knowing. Theory is worthless so is discussion, that which is ,is and those that are aware and live in this state or have this knowing are no better or worse off than those who are not.

The ones who are troubled about it are the ones suffering the ones on either side of the same coin are just fine with their knowing or not knowing.

Beliefs are usually founded in misconceptions or unprovable arguments like for example Einstein was wrong because there is still so much unknown therefore an absolute statement that nothing can travel faster than light is incorrect.

Well until proven otherwise it is just belief. Science likes to call it theory until it can pick it apart and reproduce the same after effect numerous times.

[QUOTE=Siro;83760]Yoga is the science of body, mind, and reality. Like any other science, faith and belief can assist in the Journey, but neither are necessary for discovery.[/QUOTE]

Good advice.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;83694]Not your beliefs all beliefs and I’ll agree it is rather funny when a belief is so strong it becomes invisible and takes the form of reality, certainly don’t believe what I say think for yourself on a deeper level, recognize the false as false and your beliefs will dissolve; Truth cannot be relative but beliefs are; beliefs are nothing more than likes/dislikes of the human mind, there’re 7 billion human mind on the planet each with different likes/dislikes mostly dependent on when and where you were born and raised, who you were exposed to, anything that caused the programing of your mind, pick anyone subject and you have the possibility of 7 billion different opinions (beliefs), which one is the right one…I’ll save you some time, none of them are. Yoga helps to deprogram the mind allowing expansion of consciousness. Believe whatever you want but realize beliefs are nothing more than projections of one’s own mind and just because there may be a few things which all have agreed upon, that does not make it the Truth. Truth is not a question of numbers of how many people agree or disagree with certain ideas; it is not a popularity contest. In fact once one is awakened to the Truth it completely shatters everything that one has assumed about existence up till that point. All of one’s clinging to belief systems, ideas, concepts and philosophies will be rendered irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

OK, so according to you, beliefs are wrong, and I can’t have beliefs?

Pardon me, but why are my beliefs silly? Moreover, who are you to label them as such?

[QUOTE=Seeking;83700]Practicing Yoga is the point of Yoga.

I guess it might be required one declare a belief or go along with the crowd in some circles in order to earn a title so some other person can say yes, yes by the authority of the park ranger we hereby declare this picnic basket scrounger a yogi. He was first a Boo Boo. But now a Yogi.

Spirituality or knowing God is real, is not a belief. It is a state of being from which comes a state of knowing. Theory is worthless so is discussion, that which is ,is and those that are aware and live in this state or have this knowing are no better or worse off than those who are not.

The ones who are troubled about it are the ones suffering the ones on either side of the same coin are just fine with their knowing or not knowing.

Beliefs are usually founded in misconceptions or unprovable arguments like for example Einstein was wrong because there is still so much unknown therefore an absolute statement that nothing can travel faster than light is incorrect.

Well until proven otherwise it is just belief. Science likes to call it theory until it can pick it apart and reproduce the same after effect numerous times.[/QUOTE]

OK, so you use many things in the everyday world that run on scientific principles, yet science is supposedly evil?

When did I even mention science?

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83764]When did I even mention science?[/QUOTE]

My day job is engineering I?ve studied, been exposed to and practice many forms of science, the Yogic sciences seem to be the purist of pure based on thousands of year?s human trial and error, conformation comes from trial and error the ultimate test of any science, proof is in the pudding theories/beliefs dissolve and you are left with direct experience (knowledge).

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83763]Moreover, who are you to label them as such?[/QUOTE]

I am nobody, I don’t mean to bug you, let me know and I’ll stop responding you.

In answer to your original question: “So can an atheist be a yogi, or do I need to adopt spiritual beliefs to be as such?”

An atheist is an atheist, a yogi is a yogi, adopting spiritual beliefs has nothing to do with Yoga.

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83763]OK, so according to you, beliefs are wrong, and I can’t have beliefs?[/QUOTE]

According to Truth nothing can be right or wrong since these are both judgments based on beliefs (likes and dislikes of individual human minds).

Most people didnt believe until they experience something. Everyone believes something but with time it changes due to some new info or new experience, mind is impermanent constant changing/truth is permanent according to the scriptures. So if mind is impermanent changing all the time, just look at the world how it constant is changing , as we all live in our mind. Then we can understand that what mind gives us is nothing but problem. Greed jealousy hatred all of them is states of mind. Then how can something that changes all the time give us truth?

If you want to become a yogi and your mind dont changes over time thats what you will become just be patient nothing is built perfect over the night , it takes time .You are the creator.

[QUOTE=fakeyogis;83774]Most people didnt believe until they experience something.[/QUOTE]

Actually it’s no longer a belief once direct experience has been had, it becomes confirmed factual knowledge. Furthermore the risk factor between unconfirmed acceptance/blind faith and reasonable assumption/educated guess before trial and error needs to be acknowledged.

[QUOTE=fakeyogis;83774]Then how can something that changes all the time give us truth?[/QUOTE]

Good observation; the mind does not seem to be able to define or understand Truth, although Truth is experienceable. Therefore a logical methodology may be to recognize the false as false i.e. empty ones cup of untruths and what remains? Astutely realizing the false in the apparent presentation, to consciousness, by way of memory of something previously observed in some other thing.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;83769]I am nobody, I don?t mean to bug you, let me know and I?ll stop responding you.

In answer to your original question: ?So can an atheist be a yogi, or do I need to adopt spiritual beliefs to be as such??

An atheist is an atheist, a yogi is a yogi, adopting spiritual beliefs has nothing to do with Yoga.[/QUOTE]

Yet you suggest I’m somehow “bad” for not holding a belief?

Where do you derive this authority from exactly?

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83800]Yet you suggest I’m somehow “bad” for not holding a belief?[/QUOTE]

Not suggesting anything “bad”, it seems clinging to beliefs is what creates the misconceptions of “bad or good”, “right or wrong”, “etc. or etc.”; likes/dislikes of the personal mind, judgments…opinions are like assholes everybody has one and they all stink, surely don’t accept my word examine for yourself, recognize the false as false and beliefs will collapse upon themselves, although an obstacle may be moving beyond ones ego to do so.

[QUOTE=namismybabe;83800]Where do you derive this authority from exactly?[/QUOTE]

Assuming no delusion in authority, not guilty; Truth has no rules, regulations or agenda. The only notion in human consciousness outside the realm of ignorance is “I AM THAT I AM” everything else is simply a dance in consciousness, poetry/entertainment of the mind thickening the veils of Maya.

There is nothing wrong or right about having no interest or interest in spirituality (Truth).

heh… I think that was your intent.