[b]II, 9 svarasavahi vidusah api tatha rudhah abhinivesah

Clinging to life
and the fear of death
are sustained by an intrinsic force
in the same way
that the other primal causes of suffering persist
dominating even the wise.[/b]

M. Stiles

The will to survive and preserve life is the natural instinct of all living beings. Iyengar explains that Patanjali states that this instinct comes from the experience of death which leaves an impression from which ?the seed of fear? arises. But by practicing yoga the sadhaka transform this ?seed of fear?. ?..He experiences unity in the flow of intelligence and the current of self energy. In this state, he perceives that there is no difference between life and death, that they are simply two sides of the same coin. He understands that the current of self, life force, active while he is alive, merges with the universe when he leaves his body at death. Through this understanding, he loses his attachment to life and conquers the fear of death. This frees him from afflictions and sorrows and leads him to kaivalya.? (p. 110-111)

Iyengar, B.K.S. Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. New Delhi, India: Harper Collins Publications India. 1993

Stiles, M. Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Boston, MA: Red Wheel/Weiser LLC. 2002

A sharing of my short note on II 9 that I had found again today from my first attempt through the yoga sutras…

ATTACHMENT TO LIFE stems from the experience of death of the physical body. However the Spirit is eternal.