Observers of the world

Recently, working my way through the Gita (again), the following Sloka stopped me: “The yogi who perceives the essential oneness everywhere naturally feels the pleasure or pain of others as his or her own.” (Chapter Six, Sloka 32)

Satchidananda elaborates on this: "Having achieved that state of perception, you feel others’ pain as your own pain, others’ pleasure as your own pleasure. You put yourself in the others’ place. It’s like saying, ‘Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.’ " (In The Living Gita. The Complete Bhagavad Gita. A Commentary for Modern Readers, by Sri Swami Satchidananda, p. 93)

How can we do this – feel others’ pain / pleasure as our own – while at the same maintaining the equanimity that Patanjali’s sutras ask of us? How can we stand as observers to the world, if it touches us this profoundly? I look forward to reading your thoughts on this.
Thank you, as always. Blessings, Hamsa

While the Bhagavad Gita is talking about one who is in harmony with others, it does not state how to be with their pleasure or pain. Without the inner work, there is bound to be difficulties with co-dependence and inappropriate ?taking on of others karmic pain? patterns. This is not healthy. Patanjali takes up this topic. Read again Patanjali Yoga Sutras on how to be with people in their changeable states it is in Chapter I, 33. ?By cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward happiness, compassion toward suffering, delight toward virtue, and equanimity toward vice, the mind becomes purified, and the obstacles to Self knowledge are lessened.? Also see the attitudes he cites about how to be with the naturally occurring pain of life II, 12 ? 17. Regular practice builds discrimination amongst these emotional states.