Sugar

Processed sugar is so bad for the body in so many ways, and when I intake too much sugar, be it from fruit, or agave or regular sugar, it does not yield good results, I feel tired, bloated, gross and then I just crave more sugar.

What is it that sugar does to the body that makes it so troublesome?

i try to stay to a raw diet, but when you look in ingredients it seems like sugar is hidden in everything, even salad dressings, which makes buying food and going out with friends and others exceptionally difficult.

What is a way to enjoy the sweetness of something without consuming or using sugar? is there a way? does anyone share my problem?

This sounded highly dramatic, whoops :slight_smile:

BEWARE OF SUGAR, COMING TO A STORE OR MEAL NEAR YOU!

Yes I totally share your problem. And I’m annoyed to see that “pure” packaged meat includes sugar together with a few “E’s”.

Some research claim that sugar (carbohydrates) signals the body to store fat.
Which you can see in nature, when the brown bear eats a ton of berries in fall and gains a fat storage for the winter.
And fat which have been so bad for the last 60 years. From my experience; If you eat enough fat, the body will react as if its in no shortage and therefor, in my case, I lost weight, even if I ate more than usual.
Which again is a contradiction to the theory that if you eat 2000 calories a day, you need to burn all of that or you gain weight. The body is not a car… :slight_smile:

There’s a lot of research on all these fields, and a lot of argues of what is right and not. But from what I see, [B]they fail to take into account that we humans actually have different blood types and how we react to different foods is different.[/B] But somehow I’ve never seen much of this research out in public media.

Personally I turn to dark chocolate and kiwis. If I let my self taste milk chocolate, there’s no stopping.

The only way to avoid sugar is to buy everything raw. Even spices should be seperate, if you buy a spice mix, there will be sugar in it…

I’d like to hear more opinions on this! :slight_smile:

stevia is a good sugar substitute, or you can use glucose.

The body uses sugars for fuel (energy). Carbohydrates have to be converted to sugars in order to be used as energy. If your body has sugars available, it will use them first for fuel. This can cause weight gain because carbohydrates that would have been converted to sugars instead get converted to fat. Refined sugars can be bad because they are available to your body right away, and they contain no other nutrients, they are “empty” calories. Sugars derived from fruits and other foods aren’t quite as bad because they require some processing, and because they also contain fiber and other nutrients.

I’m not an expert on the subject, but I believe that refined sugars can also cause problems because of the hormones (insulin) that your body needs to regulate them. Maybe someone else can address this.

[QUOTE=omnamashivaya;74079]stevia is a good sugar substitute, or you can use glucose.[/QUOTE]

Stevia— is this plant derived? Have never used this. What about pure clover honey?

Juniper

Artificial sweeteners but sugar is not all bad for you only to much is bad. Just like the saying to much of a good thing can be bad.Or however that goes lol:p

[QUOTE=Juniper;74112]Stevia— is this plant derived? Have never used this. What about pure clover honey?

Juniper[/QUOTE]

Yes it is plant derived, It is many times sweeter than sugar, but is safe for diabetics. You can buy a crystaline extract that can be used in place of sugar. Growing one plant will give you more than enough sweetness.

stevia.net

Honey contains all types of sugars but is better than refined sugar. Don’t cook honey

stevia has a bitter aftertaste, i don’t like it. but maybe its a thing to get used to.
Maybe I’m just sensitive as i don’t took much but still felt that aftertaste.

And it has a licorice taste if i don’t mix things up now.

i’ve never cared for stevia…

i like raw honey as a sweetener… bees are just magical creatures and they produce this amazing substance and I just feel like it is a huge blessing to consume it… if you ever really get interested and read about bees you will find so many amazing facts…

fruits are good sources of sugar and they contain the antioxidants which convert into the cells right after the sugar… for some reason I don’t know the ‘science’ but the cells of the body really like to intake sugar… of course there are many different sources of sugar and kinds of sugar in all kinds of different contexts… if you are going to eat sugar or sweeteners of any kind I would recommend you get them raw unprocessed unheated untreated source… even the organic sugar they sell these days has ‘probably’ been through some kind of processing that makes it less than best for the body…

IMO consuming honey is a type of robbery. Bees work hard what for? for a human to come and take the product of their work. It violates yama Asteyam. Then many of them starve, and that violates yama Ahimsa.

Natural sugar sweeteners::

----agave nectar
----stevia
----xylitol
----wisteria
----dark chocolate > 70 %

http://www.life-enhancement.com/messages/sugarx/

Dark chocolate as natural sweetener? Natural cacao bean is not a sugar sweetener and 70% chocolate bars has 30% sugar ,natural or not i dont know but it must have been added 90% chocolate bars has 10% sugar in it.

Actually I’m sweetening my teas with [B]minced liquorice roots[/B].
It tastes wonderful and the “high” is even and lucid.
Sugar made me feel drowsy sometimes, the opposite effect indeed.

Honey?s my sweetener of choice, extremely stable food, never needs to be refrigerated having anti-bacterial/viral qualities, limited/no processing, probably around before/since humans therefore we?ve acclimated to it and the pleasant experience of eating it.

It’s amazing to me how we’ve taken one of the basic nutrients that nature offers and made it villainous. Our body uses sugar as the primary fuel. If we don’t eat any of it (or starches, which are strings of sugar molecules linked together), then the body breaks down fats and proteins to produce the sugar it needs in a chemical process called gluconeogenesis.

Our problem is that we eat way to much of it - 17x more than we did 150 years ago. Yoga is about balance, and we’ve gotten way off kilter with this one.

I’ve explained sugar here.

Really, the best advice is to simply get over a sweet-tooth. The taste buds readjust after awhile just like they do with salt, and the natural balance can be reset. Years (and years!) ago, I used to drink soda and not notice much of a sugar taste. Now a sip is sickeningly sweet to me.

[QUOTE=Living to learn;74042]Processed sugar is so bad for the body in so many ways, and when I intake too much sugar, be it from fruit, or agave or regular sugar, it does not yield good results, I feel tired, bloated, gross and then I just crave more sugar.

What is it that sugar does to the body that makes it so troublesome?

i try to stay to a raw diet, but when you look in ingredients it seems like sugar is hidden in everything, even salad dressings, which makes buying food and going out with friends and others exceptionally difficult.

What is a way to enjoy the sweetness of something without consuming or using sugar? is there a way? does anyone share my problem?

This sounded highly dramatic, whoops :slight_smile:

BEWARE OF SUGAR, COMING TO A STORE OR MEAL NEAR YOU![/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the effects of consuming too much sugar! Diabetes runs in my family and my body is already somewhat insulin-resistant (I have PCOS) so I have to be VERY careful not to eat too much sugar.

I also know what you mean about sugar being hidden in EVERYTHING! I thought I’d make shrimp fajitas for dinner a couple nights ago but low and behold, there’s even sugar in the fajita seasoning! =\

As for curing that sweet tooth without sugar, I’ll have to get back to you, ha ha!!

Sugar and salt are both addictive substances but not recognized as so because they have no withdrawal. Symptoms.
White sugar is had by chemical burning. Brown sugar takes more processing to make than white sugar. Sugar from fruits is the best. All things contain a level of sugar.
I have actually had an allergic reaction by consuming too much sugar. “Sugar overdose”

I believe it also stimulates pleasure center of brain. "Sweet success. Sour deal,bitter memory"
sweetness is like success.

[QUOTE=Avatar186;78561]Sugar and salt are both addictive substances but not recognized as so because they have no withdrawal. Symptoms.
White sugar is had by chemical burning. Brown sugar takes more processing to make than white sugar. Sugar from fruits is the best. All things contain a level of sugar.
I have actually had an allergic reaction by consuming too much sugar. “Sugar overdose”

I believe it also stimulates pleasure center of brain. "Sweet success. Sour deal,bitter memory"
sweetness is like success.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about sugar being addictive. I habitually ate too much sugar for years and when I decided to cut back as much as possible, I had the worst cravings!

I am totally agreed with this that processed sugar is not good for our health. It causes so many health problems. Sugar causes fat and weight gain. It also causes diabetes so i think we should avoid sugar.

[QUOTE=panoramix;76809]Actually I’m sweetening my teas with [B]minced liquorice roots[/B].
It tastes wonderful and the “high” is even and lucid.
Sugar made me feel drowsy sometimes, the opposite effect indeed.[/QUOTE]

Oooooo, i-self digs the sound of minced liquorice root.
I may order some, this day.

Oh, try some Splenda or a store-brand by the same processes.
See how it sets.
Yeah, I know…it comes from a big, ole facTORy
but your body IS a facTORy, too.
Of course, the mill on the hill passed an EPA inspection whereas human bodies do not.

Also, methinks that the addition of [U]ground cloves[/U], to most diets, may be useful.