How to Awaken Mooladhara Chakra

There are many cultures that conceive of an energetic system which runs the body, but the Yogic Chakra System is said to be 4000-5000 years old. Chakra translates loosely to mean ‘wheel’ from Sanskrit, but it more accurately describes a vortice of rotating energy. Some chakra systems contain twelve primary chakras, other fewer, but they refer to a map of the energy circulating through the body, primarily through the spinal column. Each chakra is situated near an endocrine gland that is responsible for regulating hormonal reactions in the body. The chakras also act as translators of energy. They assimilate energy from surrounding influences, including your own emotions and thoughts and the chakras of others. In the yogic conceptualization of the chakra system there are seven primary energy vortexes.

These regulators of energy are named from Sanskrit: Mooladhara Chakra, Swadhistana Chakra, Manipura Chakra, Anahata Chakra, Vishuddhi (a) Chakra, Ajna Chakra, and Sahasrara Chakra in order from the root of the spine to the crown of the head. The regulation of these chakras is vitally important to your physical health and your spiritual progression. The chakras affect the heart rate, metabolism, your body shape, thoughts, behavior, and physical ailments or addictions, or the lack thereof. In order to stimulate the awakening of each chakra, there are yogic practices designed to assimilate the life force, and then to direct it into a balanced vortex of energy, or chakra, so that it might aid in awakening a higher consciousness. The first of these to be awakened is Mooladhara Chakra.

Mula is a Sanskrit word meaning root or foundation. Swami Satyananda Saraswati tells us that the transcendental nature basis of physical nature is moola prakriti. We all have to evolve from some place, and for most of us that includes our physical, gross nature. Our evolution as a human body with more subtle energetic attributes begins in the ‘root’ of our being. This chakra connects us to all that is physical and earthly.

Location of the Mooladhara Chakra

There is often confusion about the location of the root chakra. It differs very slightly from men to women. In men, it rests “slightly inside the perineum, midway between the scrotum and the anus. It is the inner aspect of that nerve complex which carries all kinds of sensations and is immediately connected with the testes.” In the female body, Mooladhara chakra is located near the cervix, on the posterior side.

The root chakra is also associated with what is referred to as a psychic knot. Specifically, Mooladhara chakra is known as the brahma granthi. This is like a knot of energy in the body. When this knot of energy is released, it allows us to enter Brahma Loka (Nirmanakaya). It also purifies and balances energy in the urogential region similar to the effects of vajroli mudra.

In Buddhist teachings that were influenced by Vedic teachings, nirmanakavya is the physical body of a Buddha, that manifest in the world to teach dharma. The Buddha descends into physical form in order to help all other beings reach enlightenment. Though spiritual in nature, this body is still subject to sickness, old age and death. Tibetan yogis call this the tulku (from the Pail language) and state also, that enlightened beings consciously chose a physical form, though it is subject to the same disease and decay as the rest of us, in order to bring higher consciousness into more prevalence.

Once we choose the enlightened being’s path, the energy from Mooladhara chakra can be released. There are several yogic practices prescribed for this endeavor. These practices should be followed with the help of a seasoned yogi, however, as awakening the root chakra can be accompanied by some interesting sensations and physical side-effects. The body needs to be purified with diet and the advice of a sound guru in order to proceed.

For now, we will begin with the kriyas (purifying actions):

Moola Bandha (perineal contraction) – and Moola Bandha with breath retention – Moola Bandha is one of the first energetic locks we learn to practice. Yoga Journal recently described the bandha as such, “On a physical level, mula bandha consists of a contraction, a muscular lifting-up in the floor of the pelvis. Although the pelvis itself is primarily a bony structure supported with ligaments, the pelvic floor consists of muscle fibers and fascia (connective tissue). These tissues intersect and overlap in complex ways; for our purposes, we can divide the pelvic floor into three muscular levels, each of which can be sensed and moved separately.” Iyengar defines it more simply, “a posture where the body from the anus to the navel is contracted and lifted up toward the spine.” It is not an easy practice to do on the first try. Most of us only have awareness of these muscles when eliminating, if we have awareness at all. There are some great diagrams of human anatomy online which will show you the exact point to focus on when beginning a contraction. With practice, as with all kriyas, this will be refined.

Nasikagra Drishti (nose tip gazing) – the tip of the nose is directly connected to awakening the root chakra. This practice is also known as “Agochari Mudra”. It is an auspicious form of Tratak (concentrated gazing). Early practice can cause a headache if you practice to earnestly or too long, so begin in a comfortable seated position and only try thiry second intervals when you begin. You will feel as if you are going cross-eyed, but ideally, your gaze should become softened as you gaze toward the nose tip.

Ideally, these kriyas are accompanied with mindfulness training focusing on the root chakra. Contemplating the energy residing dormant therein can also help it to awaken. All practices should be taken slowly and systematically, in order to allow kundalini shakti (the energy dormant in the root chakra) to rise through a clean and clear channel, i.e. the rest of your nadis are somewhat cleansed and opened through asana practice and other methods described in Hatha Yoga Pradipika or in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Eventually, an awakening of the root chakra will lead to enlightenment.

References:
Swami Satyananda Saraswati. Kundalini Tantra. Yoga Publications Trust, Munger, Bihar India, ISBN: 81-85787-15-8

About the Author:
2011 Christina Sarich runs http://www.yogaforthenewworld.blogspot.com

Thanks for this. I have a question though. Do you know that electrifying sensation which gives you positive chills? Now is this a kundalini or what? I have heard that experiencers attribute it to something I don’t know its name. My experience is that the perpetuation of this sensation cleans my fear-related issues and I often get it via very deep ambient or symphonic music or a strong happy thought. However, I also have the same sensations when I feel awkward about something, and usually my body automatically tries to let it out either by trying to grin or laugh. Most people call it character feats, but it aint like that I think.

Have it made sense so far?

sense so far…

electrifying sensation of holy goose bumps, reiki, chi, energy, prana, kundalini …

…dont know whats next.

I could easily have this sensation at will. Just a very strong happy thought or prompting a symphonic, ambient sound (the aether) in my brain is enough to electrify my body. However, it is an expand-contract kind of thing, and I cant exactly feel at which point on my body it is released. The sensation, although, is strong in my back; not on the base of my spine, but somewhere in the midst of my back.

The ‘Kriyas’ are only way to awaken ‘kundali’ power.

without cleaning yourself you can not attain samadhi, and so you can not awaken your kundali power.

[QUOTE=raman9788;58802]without cleaning yourself you can not attain samadhi, and so you can not awaken your kundali power.[/QUOTE]Sahaja yoga works like this:

1. Small amount of Kundalini get awakened.
  2. She purify our chakras
  3. More Kundalini start coming out

Mooladhara is only support of Kundalini and is under Kundalini.

[QUOTE=YogiDiva;52347]There are many cultures that conceive of an energetic system which runs the body, but the Yogic Chakra System is said to be 4000-5000 years old. Chakra translates loosely to mean ?wheel? from Sanskrit, but it more accurately describes a vortice of rotating energy. Some chakra systems contain twelve primary chakras, other fewer, but they refer to a map of the energy circulating through the body, primarily through the spinal column. [B]Each chakra is situated near an endocrine gland that is responsible for regulating hormonal reactions in the body.[/B] The chakras also act as translators of energy. They assimilate energy from surrounding influences, including your own emotions and thoughts and the chakras of others. [B]In the yogic conceptualization of the chakra system there are seven primary energy vortexes.[/B]

These regulators of energy are named from Sanskrit: Mooladhara Chakra, Swadhistana Chakra, Manipura Chakra, Anahata Chakra, Vishuddhi (a) Chakra, Ajna Chakra, and Sahasrara Chakra in order from the root of the spine to the crown of the head. The regulation of these chakras is vitally important to your physical health and your spiritual progression. The chakras affect the heart rate, metabolism, your body shape, thoughts, behavior, and physical ailments or addictions, or the lack thereof. In order to stimulate the awakening of each chakra, there are yogic practices designed to assimilate the life force, and then to direct it into a balanced vortex of energy, or chakra, so that it might aid in awakening a higher consciousness. [B]The first of these to be awakened is Mooladhara Chakra. [/B]

Mula is a Sanskrit word meaning root or foundation. Swami Satyananda Saraswati tells us that the transcendental nature basis of physical nature is moola prakriti. We all have to evolve from some place, and for most of us that includes our physical, gross nature. Our evolution as a human body with more subtle energetic attributes begins in the ?root? of our being. This chakra connects us to all that is physical and earthly.

Location of the Mooladhara Chakra

[B]There is often confusion about the location of the root chakra. It differs very slightly from men to women. In men, it rests ?slightly inside the perineum, midway between the scrotum and the anus. It is the inner aspect of that nerve complex which carries all kinds of sensations and is immediately connected with the testes.? In the female body, Mooladhara chakra is located near the cervix, on the posterior side.[/B]

The root chakra is also associated with what is referred to as a psychic knot. Specifically, Mooladhara chakra is known as the brahma granthi. This is like a knot of energy in the body. [B]When this knot of energy is released, it allows us to enter Brahma Loka (Nirmanakaya).[/B] It also purifies and balances energy in the urogential region similar to the effects of vajroli mudra.

In Buddhist teachings that were influenced by Vedic teachings, nirmanakavya is the physical body of a Buddha, that manifest in the world to teach dharma. The Buddha descends into physical form in order to help all other beings reach enlightenment. Though spiritual in nature, this body is still subject to sickness, old age and death. Tibetan yogis call this the tulku (from the Pail language) and state also, that enlightened beings consciously chose a physical form, though it is subject to the same disease and decay as the rest of us, in order to bring higher consciousness into more prevalence.

Once we choose the enlightened being?s path, the energy from Mooladhara chakra can be released. There are several yogic practices prescribed for this endeavor. These practices should be followed with the help of a seasoned yogi, however, as awakening the root chakra can be accompanied by some interesting sensations and physical side-effects. The body needs to be purified with diet and the advice of a sound guru in order to proceed.

For now, we will begin with the kriyas (purifying actions):

[B]Moola Bandha (perineal contraction)[/B] ? and Moola Bandha with breath retention ? Moola Bandha is one of the first energetic locks we learn to practice. Yoga Journal recently described the bandha as such, ?On a physical level, mula bandha consists of a contraction, a muscular lifting-up in the floor of the pelvis. Although the pelvis itself is primarily a bony structure supported with ligaments, the pelvic floor consists of muscle fibers and fascia (connective tissue). These tissues intersect and overlap in complex ways; for our purposes, we can divide the pelvic floor into three muscular levels, each of which can be sensed and moved separately.? Iyengar defines it more simply, ?a posture where the body from the anus to the navel is contracted and lifted up toward the spine.? It is not an easy practice to do on the first try. Most of us only have awareness of these muscles when eliminating, if we have awareness at all. There are some great diagrams of human anatomy online which will show you the exact point to focus on when beginning a contraction. With practice, as with all kriyas, this will be refined.

[B]Nasikagra Drishti (nose tip gazing)[/B] ? the tip of the nose is directly connected to awakening the root chakra. This practice is also known as “Agochari Mudra”. It is an auspicious form of Tratak (concentrated gazing). Early practice can cause a headache if you practice to earnestly or too long, so begin in a comfortable seated position and only try thiry second intervals when you begin. You will feel as if you are going cross-eyed, but ideally, your gaze should become softened as you gaze toward the nose tip.

Ideally, these kriyas are accompanied with mindfulness training focusing on the root chakra. Contemplating the energy residing dormant therein can also help it to awaken. All practices should be taken slowly and systematically, in order to allow kundalini shakti (the energy dormant in the root chakra) to rise through a clean and clear channel, i.e. the rest of your nadis are somewhat cleansed and opened through asana practice and other methods described in Hatha Yoga Pradipika or in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Eventually, an awakening of the root chakra will lead to enlightenment.

References:
Swami Satyananda Saraswati. Kundalini Tantra. Yoga Publications Trust, Munger, Bihar India, ISBN: 81-85787-15-8

About the Author:
2011 Christina Sarich runs http://www.yogaforthenewworld.blogspot.com[/QUOTE]

All of the Bold?

Is Incorrect.

There are some other incongruities - but they are inconsequential.

Don’t take it personally.

I see where you got your info from. I was actually reading Kundalini Tantra last night. I’m now glad I didn’t pay for it. Its full of ka ka.

[QUOTE=The Scales;58804]All of the Bold?

Is Incorrect.

There are some other incongruities - but they are inconsequential.
[/QUOTE]
If you’re not going to explain WHY you feel something is incorrect, please don’t waste everyone’s time by making such responses.

[QUOTE=David;58845]If you’re not going to explain WHY you feel something is incorrect, please don’t waste everyone’s time by making such responses.[/QUOTE]

It’s incorrect because it’s incorrect.

Within the subtle body - the corresponding location within the physical body would be the back wall of the anus - down low.

Not ‘in’ or ‘above’ the perineum - nor up in the uterus.

The people who are wasting thier time [I]and[/I] also accruing ‘black’ karma are the ones giving out false information and those who spread it - and even those who allow it to be spread.

We are in a dark age here david. There are many pretenders roaming around who - whether they know it or not - spread false knowledge. Some of it’s good and valid - but it’s also mixed in with lots of junk. Which makes the whole thing dubious. There is so much deception in these times that when someone comes by with the truth - he is often scorned - while the false are praised.

There are also many thirsty to learn. This path is full of tripfalls. I love it when someone familiar with the path points them out.

[QUOTE=The Scales;58882]It’s incorrect because it’s incorrect.

Within the subtle body - the corresponding location within the physical body would be the back wall of the anus - down low.

Not ‘in’ or ‘above’ the perineum - nor up in the uterus.

The people who are wasting thier time [I]and[/I] also accruing ‘black’ karma are the ones giving out false information and those who spread it - and even those who allow it to be spread.

We are in a dark age here david. There are many pretenders roaming around who - whether they know it or not - spread false knowledge. Some of it’s good and valid - but it’s also mixed in with lots of junk. Which makes the whole thing dubious. There is so much deception in these times that when someone comes by with the truth - he is often scorned - while the false are praised.[/QUOTE]

The Scales,

The chakras are not in a fixed location. They will vary from person to person. And while they are specific to certain areas, because they are not “physical” in nature, there are many interpretations as to “where” they are located.

I really don’t find any glaring inconsistencies or deceptions in the article. I’m not an expert by any means, but have done quite a bit of reading on the subject not only because of yoga but also Reiki. What are we not seeing from your end?

The centers are where they are

Muladhara is where it is. ABove it is svadhistana. and so on.

This is the same from one person to the next.

And that is what I’ve stated. They are all in the same location, BUT can vary from person to person. Generally same, BUT each person’s precise location can differ slightly.

Think about it, they are spinning vortices of energy. They can’t be in the same exact location in each and every person.

Where do you get your information? And don’t be cryptic! I’m curious that’s all.

Awaken Mooladhara:

Kapalbhati Pranayama with meditative mind.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;59002]And that is what I’ve stated. They are all in the same location, BUT can vary from person to person. Generally same, BUT each person’s precise location can differ slightly.

Think about it, they are spinning vortices of energy. They can’t be in the same exact location in each and every person.

Where do you get your information? And don’t be cryptic! I’m curious that’s all.[/QUOTE]

muldadhara chakra is [I]not[/I] in the area of the perinium.
It is not above the perinium a couple inches. It is Not in the uterus.

On the pelvic floor - it is to the rear of the perinium on the back wall of the anus. THIS IS THE SAME LOCATION FOR ALL HUMANS…

Pretty much directly above it - is the area of svadhistana and so on… up the royal road.

Even if this is incongruity is only off by a couple of inches it is way off and incorrect.

In baseball the difference between a foul ball and a home run can be millimeters.

This stuff is precise. Wishy washy or imprecision should not be allowed concerning this topic.

The Scales,

I have never heard that Chakras are fixed. They’re energy vortices on the subtle plane. They are not physical. Within each person they can shift upwards of several inches depending on say, Surgery or trauma.

Yes, they are in approximately the same place and run along the spine to the head.

Where are you getting your information that they are fixed? Can you please sight references to this?

Curious to hear the OP’s take on this.

For those who believe the Chakras are fixed - Why have there been slightly different interpretations of the chakras then, from Chinese masters, Japanese Zen masters, Indian masters and The Kabbalistic Sefirot interpretation of the ‘wheels of light’, all of whom have given the world enlightened teachers? Or how about of the ancient Egyptians and Wise Men of the Aboriginal Tribes? Don’t mistake the map for the territory.

That being said. . .http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vedic-astrology-jyotisha/630303-location-muladhara-adhara-chakra-according-swami-sivananda.html