Finding the right teacher training program

Hello all -

I have been researching various programs in my area and also stumbled across the Baron Baptiste training program. I am interested in the baptiste bootcamp but I have read some negative reviews about the training. just about it is more of a business than that of a training program.

Any advice or opinions are welcome…especially that of people that actually went to the bootcamp. I am trying to make an educated decision about what program to go with but I need more information before I do so.

Thanks so much,

M

Hello Mark and a warm welcome to this forum,
I have not attended the “bootcamp” that you speak of, but I would encourage you to attend many classes that are taught by a variety graduates of this program to see if you would want these people as your colleagues. You need to be sure that you can personally endorse the program as a practice that you feel has integrity, is safe and is something valuable to offer your future students.

I don’t believe there is anything inherently negative about Yoga trainings or trainers/teachers/schools that are business-like or successful, but I have to wonder about any training that calls itself a “bootcamp.” Also, if I am reading their online promotional information correctly, even after the 3rd training on their Baptiste Power Vinyasa tract, you are still only qualified at the Yoga Alliance 200hr level. You may want to look into another program that will allow you reach the 200hr level in a single, six-to-eight week training. FYI, 200hr is the lowest level offered by YA and frankly, it doesn’t mean that much in the “industry” unless the teacher behind it is long practiced and long teaching outside of the 200hr certification.

I am assuming that you’ve been a student of Yoga for some time now to feel you are ready to be trained to convey the practices of Yoga in a safe, ethical and complete manner, so why aren’t you being trained in the practice that you yourself practice in? The practice that you’ve come to know about Yoga in? From a teacher or program/linage that you yourself have connected with as a student? I am very curious about that and wondering how you’ve come to “shopping around” the internet and this forum looking for these answers rather than going to what has sparked you. Maybe you will share that with us?

Highest regards,

I attended Baron’s Teacher Training Bootcamp in August of 2001 in Tulum, Mexico.
What specifically would you like to know and please place that asking in the context of what you are hoping to have when you finish the training in question.

I’ll guide you as I am able.

Well if you did this bootcamp IA, I am very glad I stayed curious about it and didn’t make the mistake of judging it unfairly because of it’s name and also because of all of the men without shirts on and young women in bikini tops on their website. :wink:

No “ifs” about it :slight_smile:
It may be unfairly or fairly judged.
I’d not have been torqued either way. I’m very removed from that particular part of my training.

Listen, I didn’t know any better. And the training, in some ways, was very transformational for me. However my definitions of transformational at that time were not very developed. Still, I would not trade it for anything.

And while it was that for me, quite honestly, 45 hours of teacher training, if it was that, is not really enough to send someone out to teach (yoga), which is exactly what I did upon my return.

For the time and money, in hindsight, I’d have been much more developed as a teacher (and perhaps human) had I spent the same resources on a week with Aadil. Though the fiscal costs might have been higher, the payoff would have been proportional.

All things for a reason and I did not know Aadil then. It is very possible I’d have never known him had I not signed on for that Boot Camp. So I’m eternally grateful to Baron, who was very sweet and very focused, even though I do not “kick people’s ass” when I teach yoga. I’ll leave that to Billy Blanks.

Ok…I’m starting to get a little clearer picture of everything. I think yoga is very personal and no one can really say it is right or wrong, however, I am looking for a quality training program that is true to teaching and not just in it for the money (which some programs are)