Yoga
Yoga Forums » Yoga Discussion » Yoga Teacher Training » What is your experience of trying to make a living from teaching yoga?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
Shona
dvi

Smile What is your experience of trying to make a living from teaching yoga?

Hi,
Have you done a teacher training programme recently or are you looking to embark on one? What are your key motivations for doing the YTT?
Is a key motivation for you a hope to be able to change career and make a living from teaching yoga? If so - I'd really like to hear from you.

I'm really interested in understanding how many students enrol because they hope to make a career change - and if you did the training but then found it really difficult to make anything like a decent living from this new skill?

Why am I asking?

Well - I'm a 64 year old yoga teacher - who completed my advanced training in India last February and who has been successfully building up my own classes and workshops for the last 2 years. I loved the training - but if I hadn't already built up a business of my own previously, I'm not sure I'd know where to start - and I'm getting a bee in my bonnet about the number of teachers schools are churning out who are then struggling to make any kind of income - still working on their old jobs - covering classes for a bit of pin money at gyms and studios.

It seems such a shame - there are passionate and enthusiastic new teachers out there who could bring so much benefit to so many more students - but a lack of confidence or know how stops them from achieving their dream of making a living through yoga.

If any of this resonates for you I'd love to hear about your experiences/aspirations/challenges - perhaps use the following questions as a guide.
As a prospective yoga teacher:
1) Did your teacher training give you any/enough support for the business side of teaching yoga? What was your experience?
(If you are thinking of taking a YTT - are you looking for a course which does give some support with this side of the topic?)

2) What things worry or concern you most about trying to make a reasonable income from yoga?

3) If you had any burning questions about the business side of yoga you'd like answering, what would they be? (And if I can answer those questions - I will!)

Thank you! This will help me design support materials which can help aspiring yoga teachers master the business side of yoga.
Shona is offline   Reply With Quote