How to control stress, tiredness and negative emotions?

sometimes when I am stressed, I just sit for a bit upright in a chair and close my eyes for a few minutes and let the thoughts pass.

sometimes when I am stressed, I just sit for a bit upright in a chair and close my eyes for a few minutes and let the thoughts pass.

Yes, you [I]can[/I] do it with the eyes open,just let the “mental phenomena”,whatever it is, just…go,as if spontaneously. …And then recognise when there’s been some clearance on the level of Consciousness- it is said if this is done a little each day-we can then return to our natural state,which some have described as Pure Bliss Conciousness(sat-chi-ananda)…

Letting thoughts go spontaneously,whether introduced deliberately or originating seemingly out of their own accord- be it in the sub-consious/unconsicous. This is a gem of practice than can be done anywhere- maybe goes by different names.It makes use of the last 3 limbs and maybe what Patanjali referred to in his chapter 3 on siddhis(which i could’nt say that much about,siddhis that is, though i think i’ve got some idea). I have heard it also called Samyama---- what a gem!!

It is a very subtle practice and there is a discernible quantum physiological response,i think if you know what to look for- like ,within your own nervous system.

I say quantum but it is actually an opening up of your true Self, one’s true potential.

Some more information on relation between stress and Yoga,

Stress is both biochemical and psychological process.

It is arising in the brain and spread out to almost every organ, every blood
vessel, and every sweat gland in our body. This is due to release of
adrenaline.

A combined practice of,

• Physical postures,
  • Breathing exercises and
  • Meditation

in a sequence is the best practice to conquer stress.

The heart of Yoga practice resides in self-awareness, so it is appropriate
that we turn to it for behavior modification. In this way Yoga may provide a
framework to address the chronic stress response.

The best way to relax is surely to do nothing.This is the holistic approach.
And if that is unacceptable for you then you’ve already condemned yourself to perpetual stress.

If you want to find an activity to help you relax then that’s just adding another activity to your overloaded schedule and a whole extra opportunity for stressing about something new. Such concerns that this new activity might give you would be “Am I doing it right?”. “How come I don’t feel relaxed?”… “Do I really have time for this?” … “Couldn’t I be doing something better with my time?” etc etc

So long as their are expectations and objectives, there will be stress which is why the art of doing nothing, really doing nothing is the only true stress release. Not only does it relieve stress but it isn’t a stressful experience. Find this “nothing” sufficient, without goals or purpose, and the stress evaporates.

But if you say that your stress release time has to be time put to good use then how can you possibly do nothing, that’s just a waste of time isn’t it!

So many good suggestions from all of you. When I’ve started this threat, I had no ideas, that there will be so many people, who will actually willing to help me :slight_smile: I am so pleased to all of you!!! There is no enough words, to express my feelings and thankfulness to everybody, who is participating in this discussion. I found a good solution for my self in breathing techniques, as well few minutes minutes of during nothing during the day works same effective for me. I just stop, sit down and relax for couple of minutes, and it actually helps me to restore my thoughts and calm stress and nerves. :slight_smile: I am planning to find out more information about yoga classes for beginners near by my home, and hopefully I can try it after my exams at university, which will be this week…brrr… scared of exams :slight_smile: but I hope I will do fine.

dolcevita, I’m so very glad to hear you’ve made some progress with your dilemma!
It is true that there are many who do care, and are willing to help. we just tend to forget and we feel we are in a world alone, and that our problems are our own. But they aren’t. We are all here to help each other.
And I type this to remind myself, as well as to just voice it.

Such a positive reply :slight_smile: It made me smile and be happy. I totally agree on what you are saying. Thinking positive and help others should be a priority for anybody. :slight_smile:

For great yogis like us there is no ‘others’, only the self :cool: :smiley:

Hi Dolcevita,
The ultimate answer to your question is to learn to meditate.
Meditation is like coating yourself in Gold. You spend a short time every morning dipping yourself - mind, body, and soul - in the ‘goldness’ of inner peace. For the rest of the day nothing can touch you - no stress, no fear, no worry.
You can probably find a class / course for free, or there is plenty of information on the internet…
I’d also invite you to look at my blog, which has articles on relaxation, breathing, health, and so on.
With love,
Ben

Dear Dolcevita,

You are a wonderful person; your responses here to those that offered help was so kind:

So many good suggestions from all of you. When I’ve started this threat, I had no ideas, that there will be so many people, who will actually willing to help me I am so pleased to all of you!!! There is no enough words, to express my feelings and thankfulness to everybody, who is participating in this discussion.

I can relate a bit to your concern of heightened stress levels as I am working on my doctorate.
It was a choice we both made: to further our education.
I’m not used to sitting at a computer so much, and it has been at times challenging.
A strategy that has helped me tremendously is doing yoga asanas at the desk.

[B]TIP[/B]: Try setting a computer alarm to remind you to take deep breaths and pause for simple practice.
Refreshing with even two minutes of yoga is very beneficial.
Of course, savasana is extremely important! Practice whenever possible…it’s free (a concern of yours) and easy.
Focus on your yogic breaths in this present moment…

[B]TIP[/B]: Write down the word “breathe” on some post-it notes; place them around your environment–especially on your computer screen.
They will remind you to breath deeply to reduce stress levels. This technique helps to alter your behavior.

Remember Dolcevita, this stage in your life [I]shall[/I] pass. Soon your studies will culminate in your degree…so hang in there!
Trust me, If I can do it…YOU can do it!

Best with Blessings, Namaste,
Nancy

[QUOTE=benralston;30627]
Meditation is like coating yourself in Gold. You spend a short time every morning dipping yourself - mind, body, and soul - in the ‘goldness’ of inner peace. For the rest of the day nothing can touch you - no stress, no fear, no worry.
Ben[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea. Especially to do this meditation in the morning, when you still are feeling relaxed and calm after sweet dreams. Thank you for your advice. It really sounds realistic and good solution, that can help to stay in good tone for the whole day :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=aka360Yogini;30644]Dear Dolcevita,

[B]TIP[/B]: Write down the word “breathe” on some post-it notes; place them around your environment–especially on your computer screen.
They will remind you to breath deeply to reduce stress levels. This technique helps to alter your behavior.

Nancy[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a really good technique, especially when I need to work with computer my whole working day. So thank you for this good and simple suggestion.

Another positive thing - Yesterday I have passed my last exam it this semester, so I finally have holidaaaaayyyysss!!! :slight_smile: yeyy!!! So I am alredy feeling my self happier and relaxed :slight_smile:

Thank You, Nancy for your kind respond!!!

A little different question here.

Is it possible to use some sort of Yogi or pose to help make you angry and energetic with a lot of endorphin release?

I ask because when I’m getting ready to preform a heavy lift I get tired of sniffing ammonia and having someone slap me hard on the back.

thanks,
Lencho…

dolcevita, I was thinking about you post for few days…

99 % people in the developed countries are overwhelmed, but fortunately there are a lot of tools to deal with it.

1. This is only my example… I used to work one job from 8 am to 10pm, going to school full time, practicing yoga and devoting time to the family and friends. I did not get tired or stressed since I [U]loved my job though[/U]t it suppose to be stressful (tv journalist) and I loved to go to school. Maybe I did not get tired because my job was with people (bid attention circle) school was in small attention circle ( books and computer) and family was medium attention circle. It is a psychotherapeutic concept about attention circles and we need to balance between them. So try to think is you really LOVE that you are doing or you doing it just for money and try to get away from small circle (work at the computer, job at the computer) in to inner circle (meditate) or observe some big landscape views ( maybe through the window few times a day)

2. Fake it till you make it! Start faking that you are not in stress. When you think you are - stop, close your eyes and take ten really slow breath, thinking of breath only. Yoga can do nothing about you job, your family or your school, but it can tune your mind to take things differently.

3. In todays world we were told that we HAVE TO achieve some goal…most of the times multiple goals…be an a student, be the best worker, be the best , the smartest, the reacher… and in addition participate in social activities:)) this is not what give us happiness thought. SLOW DOWN… take one day in your week and do everything 30% slower than you can. Drive, drink, eat, talk…Think like you are snail or other slow animal. Please try and do not forget to share your experience. It is great Yogic technique.

And you need to live in NOW, just “get stressed” about what your are doing right now… not tomorrow, not an hour later, but right now in this moment…

I can share more things with you, even can give you free yoga class over the skype, that should not take lot of time.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;30723] SLOW DOWN… take one day in your week and do everything 30% slower than you can. Drive, drink, eat, talk…Think like you are snail or other slow animal. [/QUOTE]

This is the exact technique, that I really should learn to do. I am such kind of person, who is very energetic - I am doing all really fast, I am talking a million words in a second, sometimes people even cannot understand my speech, cause my thoughts are running faster than my words, so in my speech I always try to follow my thoughts and and not to loose them. Also I always thinking about thousands of things at the same time, which again is another reason for my stress.

So, yes, CityMonk, I definitely, NEED to take at least one day and make my self feel like a snail and allow my self not to hurry-up anywhere.:slight_smile:

Nice to see some great advice from people here. I imagine you’re already feeling a lot better dolcevita, after putting some of these tips into practice.
If you would like some other practical advice and tips, please see my blog - there are some useful articles on how to relax properly (an exercise which, if you do every day, just for 10 mins, will help you to slow down and not be stressed)… an article on breathing properly which will also help you alot, and so on. You should also read the article on What Is Health, and apply those 5 points, as much as possible to daily life. If you do, I guarantee you will feel much better within a week!
With love,
Ben

Hey, also
-What kind of music you are listening during the day?
-Do you watch TV?

Those two seem like relaxing activities, but for your nervous system is a extra vast of information to process.

DO YOU DO ANY SPORTS?

City Monk makes a v good point:
It’s not about what you do, it’s also about what you don’t do.
[B]Most[/B] of the things that people do to relax are actually stimulating the nervous system rather than relaxing it.