Meditation Techniques

These are the best meditation techniques we can get on earth :slight_smile:

Excerpts from Ribu Gita
19. There is not an atom apart from the Self, which is the
integral undifferentiated perfection of whole Being. Soul, world
and Creator are inseparable from the Self. The reality of these
is the reality of the Self only. (Ch.10, v.34)
20. All ignorance and illusion, all objects inert and living,
all beings and non-beings, all the five elements, all the diverse
worlds, all bodies and the lives that arise in them, not being
apart from Brahman-Self, are Brahman-Self only. Existence
alone is, for even non-existence acquires meaning only in
Existence. Simply put, everything exists always as Brahman-
Self only. (Ch.12, v.2)
21. All objective knowledge, all thought forms, all visible
objects, all things heard, all questions and answers, all the food
consumed and all other illusions, not being apart from the Self,
should be regarded as Brahman-Self only. (Ch.13, v.2)
22. [U]Therefore one should practise the habit of regarding
everything as Brahman-Self only; until all thought of things
other than the Self is lost.[/U] This condition once achieved, one
should not give room for any thought and should ever abide in
Maha-Mounam (peace of total stillness). (Ch.14, v.38 )
23. Anything seen as other than Brahman-Self is bound to
cause fear and trouble. Therefore, it behoves one to stick to the
single attitude that everything sensed is Brahman-Self alone. In
due course even this one thought must be given up, in order to
abide firmly in the free undisturbed blissful state of the sole
Brahman-Self. (Ch.15, v.5)

Excerpts from Ashtavakra gita
You do not consist of any of the elements – earth, water, fire, air, or even ether. To be liberated, know yourself as consisting of consciousness, the witness of these. 1.3

If only you will remain resting in consciousness, seeing yourself as distinct from the body, then even now you will become happy, peaceful and free from bonds. 1.4

You do not belong to the brahmin or any other caste, you are not at any stage, nor are you anything that the eye can see. You are unattached and formless, the witness of everything – so be happy. 1.5

Righteousness and unrighteousness, pleasure and pain are purely of the mind and are no concern of yours. You are neither the doer nor the reaper of the consequences, so you are always free. 1.6

You are the one witness of everything and are always completely free. The cause of your bondage is that you see the witness as something other than this. 1.7

Since you have been bitten by the black snake, the opinion about yourself that “I am the doer,” drink the antidote of faith in the fact that “I am not the doer,” and be happy. 1.8

[U]Burn down the forest of ignorance with the fire of the understanding that “I am the one pure awareness,” and be happy and free from distress. 1.9[/U]

That in which all this appears is imagined like the snake in a rope; that joy, supreme joy, and awareness is what you are, so be happy. 1.10

If one thinks of oneself as free, one is free, and if one thinks of oneself as bound, one is bound. Here this saying is true, “Thinking makes it so.” 1.11

Your real nature is as the one perfect, free, and actionless consciousness, the all-pervading witness – unattached to anything, desireless and at peace. It is from illusion that you seem to be involved in samsara. 1.12

[U]Meditate on yourself as motionless awareness, free from any dualism, giving up the mistaken idea that you are just a derivative consciousness or anything external or internal. 1.13
[/U]
You have long been trapped in the snare of identification with the body. Sever it with the knife of knowledge that “I am awareness,” and be happy, my son. 1.14

You are really unbound and actionless, self-illuminating and spotless already. The cause of your bondage is that you are still resorting to stilling the mind. 1.15

All of this is really filled by you and strung out in you, for what you consist of is pure awareness – so don’t be small-minded. 1.16

You are unconditioned and changeless, formless and immovable, unfathomable awareness, unperturbable: so hold to nothing but consciousness. 1.17

[U]Recognise that the apparent is unreal, while the unmanifest is abiding. Through this initiation into truth you will escape falling into unreality again. 1.18
[/U]
Just as a mirror exists everywhere both within and apart from its reflected images, so the Supreme Lord exists everywhere within and apart from this body. 1.19

Just as one and the same all-pervading space exists within and without a jar, so the eternal, everlasting God exists in the totality of things. 1.20

:slight_smile:

Hi Core,
I have been practicing meditation (fairly consistently) for about a year and a half now, but I have only practiced one type, so I am by no means an expert.

I repeat a mantra silently in coordination with the breath… I learned this meditation technique from a doctor at my college, actually, and I have found it to be very beneficial in my life. My mantra is my username - Om Namah Shivaya - but the doctor who taught me the technique used the ham-so mantra. I have found that I connect more with om namah shivaya - its meaning and just its sound inside my head.

Currently I am finding myself wanting to explore other types of meditation, because although I experienced great benefits when I first began meditating, I have not felt these benefits as much recently. I am not sure what the reason is for this - whether it is something I am doing wrong (or maybe just differently and not necessarily wrong)… Or if maybe my reason for meditating has changed and this particular type of meditation is no longer fulfilling my purpose?

I guess my point is that this type of meditation is very calming for me; I feel very centered and usually much more present and aware of myself when I have meditated (I do 20-30 minutes in the morning when I wake up). I think the reason I am starting to seek out other types of meditation is because I am becoming much more curious spiritually and I feel like this type of meditation is not satisfying that curiosity.

So that’s been my experience, and I’ve really appreciated reading about everyone else’s!

There are mainly two types of Meditation techniques

1. Eastern Techniques

2. Western Techniques

3. Eastern Techniques—

1.1) Raja Yoga meditation:
The Meditation of Raja Yoga teaches that all individuals are eternal peaceful souls. To meditate is to experience a state of soul consciousness. The soul is a spark of light which dwells in the centre of the forehead. To Create and maintain a light frame of mind and to see others as this blissful light will facilitate a peaceful and happy life.

1.2) Sahaja Yoga meditation:
Sahaja mediation was created by Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi in 1970 and has since spread all around the world.

In her words, "Global unity of mankind can be achieved through this awakening that can occur within each human being, so that transformation takes place within us. By this process a person becomes moral, united, integrated and balanced

1.3) Kriya Yoga:
Kriya Yoga is a complete system covering a range of techniques, including mantras and techniques of meditation for control and mastery of the life-force, bringing inner peace and control of both body and mind.

1.4) Paramahansa Yogananda:

1.5) Buddhist Meditation:
The purpose of learning to meditate with a Buddhist meditation, is to gain more than an intellectual understanding of this truth, to liberate ourselves from the delusion and thereby put an end to both ignorance and craving.

1.6) Buddhist Breath Meditation:
Coordinate the breath sensations throughout the body, letting them flow together comfortably, keeping your awareness as broad as possible.

1.7) Zen Meditation:

1. Western Techniques—

2.1) Inner Peace:
To meditate for at least 15 minutes in the early morning will bring inner peace and reduce stress.

2.2) Christian Meditations:
There are many approaches to prayer. Not least because there are many different needs. But the greatest of all our needs according to Christianity is to get nearer to Jesus. The most powerful form of prayer for this purpose is arguably Christian meditation.

2.3) Pink Bubble Meditation:

2.4) Inspiring Stories:
Mediate on Inspiring Stories

2.5) Meditate on the Third Eye:

2.6) Meditate with Hope:

2.7) Waves of light meditation:

The one I’ve leaned the first while in the hight school is basically concentration on different part of the body in particular sequence, and visualization of light, with breath, and at some point I just dissolve in the surrounding, cam monitor my mind and it is empty. Ones I grasped it - it can take as less as 5 minutes to 1 hour. If you are interested I can post the formula.

The other one - meditate to slow down (or speed up) the heart rate. To slow down Count 1 for 1 heart beat, count 1 for two heart beats, count 1 for 4 heart beats…etc. Slows the heart rate and as a result-breath and puts the mind in tot the controlled trance.

Similar to above: Coordinate breath with heart beat. Different combinations ; one beat\1 cycle of breath, two beats/one breath, etc.

Also try mandala, even the simple one I will try to draw the simplest and attach to the next post.

Good luck with you journey

Here is the simplest mandala one can imagine. Excuse me my drawing.

You can see two ovals crossing, look more closer and you can find four hearts. The goal is to see all for heart together and each one separately.

For those who is interested in mandalas, the Australian girl makes the good ones http://moonstonemandala.com/

Here is a website of Swami John, one can find helpful http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-meditation-meditation.htm

My only advice on meditation techniques is to try them out, preferably with a teacher present to start with, and simply find the one you like the best. This is probably the technique that you will stay with the longest. However, sometimes it is also good to go against yourself.

My favorite meditation technique is ChiGong standing meditation. Try it

There are many meditation techniques and theories. In my opinion, you should pick up, best as recommended by a real guru.

I will still bring my token contribution:

!. The technique of Paramahansa Yogananda, shown in a video

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/tmp/meditation.aspx?id=120

1. The book “Practice of Meditation” by Swami Sivananda.

Both of the above are very PRACTICAL guides.

[QUOTE=Yoga & Unity;30219]The some of the best meditation methods,

Walking meditation:
Take a walk in a peaceful environment. Breathe in the air. Notice the sounds and smells!

Guided meditation:
Wear your headphones and listen to a recorded meditation talk you through the process of relaxing your body and clearing your mind.

High tech meditation:
Put on your headphones and a binaural beats track. Sit back and let the technology do the rest.

Candle meditation:
Light a candle, sit down at safe distance and focus on the candle flame. Let all other thoughts flush down from your mind. Keep focused on the flickering flame.

Mirror gazing:
Simply gaze into your reflected image. Focus on the wall just behind your head. Let all other thoughts fall out of your mind.

Breathing meditation:
This is one of the simplest meditation techniques and focusing on your breathing is quick and easy.[/QUOTE]

I like candle gazing as a preparation for meditiation, really nice this time of year especailly, when it’s getting darker outside. After you’ve gazed at the candle you can close your eyes and focus on the after image in your mind. Then you can let go of that too and just watch your thoughts come and go.

I’d like to add that breathing meditation is perhaps not as simple nor as safe as one can imagine. Why? Because the breath is so deeply connected with out body and our emotions. If you are calm and secure in yourself this is not a problem but a nervous person can get into trouble when watching the breath too closely.

Safest and easiest too perhaps I’d say are mantra techniques. They’re also very popular for this reason. Take a mantra you like that has a meaning you feel a connection to and repeat it silently to yourself (or out loud if you’re not distrubing anyone by doing so), keep your mind on the mantra and its meaning.

The point with the mantra (or one of the points rather) is that it’s like a prayer and just saying it is a “good thing” in itself. Repeating a mantra or a prayer when you need to calm down is a classic technique used in virtually every religous tradition and not always seen as a meditation although it can be a very deep one.

Personally I find it much more helpful when I’m stressed out to repeat a mantra than to watch my fast breathing. And saying a mantra out loud together with others can be very, very powerful.

There are also Christian meditation techniques:

http://www.wccm.org/faqslist.asp?pagestyle=faqlist

[QUOTE=Yoga & Unity;30219]

Candle meditation:
Light a candle, sit down at safe distance and focus on the candle flame. Let all other thoughts flush down from your mind. Keep focused on the flickering flame.

Mirror gazing:
Simply gaze into your reflected image. Focus on the wall just behind your head. Let all other thoughts fall out of your mind.

/QUOTE]

Swami Sivananda in his book “Practice of Meditation” calls the above
CONCENTRATION techniques, not meditation techniques.

He, and many other yoga texts, define Meditation as “CONCENTRATION UPON GOD.”

Real meditation starts when our Kundaliniis connected with All Pervading power of Divine Love.

Hi ,

The ones i tend to currently do now that i can think just now of are:-

Watching the inner silence- —i actually got that from The Scales here-- thankyou Scales. Good guy.

Japa on a mantra, i think you might call it ,or a deep silent mantra-based meditaiton.It is a transcendental type meditation that allows you to transcend, i.e go beyond mind relatively quickly, bring abour pratyahara, sensory introversion, open up the heart somewhat etc and cultivate pure bliss consciousness, or sat-chit-ananda.

Combine meditation with pranayama and you have a dynamic duo.

Practice, practice,practice,practice— & speculate less, less, & less.

Thanks for all the feedback Oak Seeker and everyone who threw in their shillings.

I looked at that link SEEKER33 on u-tube and i think i learned abit more about Sahaja Yoga. Sri Matajji kept on asking or requesting us to forgive ourselves.It was almost like we were all sinners like chirstains view it except seemed abit more forgiving about it…Saying it does’nt matter- just forgive. I tried that it was interesting. Other Sahaja Yoga links were telling you how to balance the channels through sensing the hot & cold in the hands etc and asking you leave the hand balance for instance just above the fontanelle crown for some interesting effects…Interesting stuff!

And OAK knowing that some Christains actually practice more formal meditation techniques is prob. not that widely know. Most christains are more like bhaktis in that sesne rather than raja yogis.

I don’t have a meditation teacher nor can I find one where I am located so when I started meditation I did the Chopra 21 day meditation challenge.

It was a online program and every day it taught you a different meditation technique. I did it back in August and it taught me a lot.

Since then I am still learning or better yet on my meditation journey. I bought some meditation CD’s that have been working for me and I have been able to make mediation a daily practice since August.

[QUOTE=core789;42674]I looked at that link SEEKER33 on u-tube and i think i learned abit more about Sahaja Yoga. Sri Matajji kept on asking or requesting us to forgive ourselves.It was almost like we were all sinners like chirstains view it except seemed abit more forgiving about it..Saying it does'nt matter- just forgive. I tried that it was interesting. [/QUOTE]Ajna chakra/ Third eye/ is very complicated chakra can be opened when we forgive ourselves and others.

[QUOTE=Shivoham;30477]My favorite meditation technique is ChiGong standing meditation. Try it[/QUOTE]

Yea I love taichi qigong and bagua circle walking.

[QUOTE=core789;29963]
Feel free to provide as little or as much info or feedback as you like, and i’ll be happy to provide more if you want it.:p[/QUOTE]Check it out:
http://www.onlinemeditation.org/

Meditation techniques are used all over the world. They are designed to help users focus on the present moment and reduce anxiety. People who practice meditation usually experience less stress and better health. This is why many experts recommend it as an effective way to improve focus and productivity during work days and after work.