New age spirituality: Stupid Yoga

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;60627]

But alas. None of it is real. You are not really entering portals to other galaxies. You are not really working with healing univeral energy. You are not really accessing the Akashic plane. You are not really working with the elementals. All of this is possible actually, the Yoga lore is full of vivid descriptions of it - but to do any of this stuff you need not fantasy, but very hard spiritual practice i.e., Yoga. New age people want it easy so they pay some random guy on the internet $100 for them activate their DNA by sending DNA attunement energy or activate their Kundalini by attending a a tantric sex worshop. The truth is if you want to awaken your Kundalini you need to do years of hard work on yourself with Yoga. If you are looking at fancy stuff like entering the akasha and teleporting to other parts of the galaxy at least 80 years of constant Yoga and a minimum 6 hours of meditation a day :wink:

New age spirituality is basically stupid Yoga.[/QUOTE]

Some of this new age things annoy me a big deal…especially when they are called YOGA:)) fomr me yoga comes from few ancient texts, and lots of “yogic” organization never refer to these scripts.

Regarding new age yoga:

1. I have a right not to go there…
  2. If it helps some people to overcome depression and loneliness … that it is not too bad…
  3. whatever we believe in becomes real for us…

I ask again, do any of the above mentioned say they are YOGA? No. Can some be considered tools? Probably.

Below are some studies published in various journals

Published in Journal of Holistic Nursing 7(1), 47-54.
Published in Subtle Energies and Energy Medicine Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1: 1998
Published in Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 8: 48-53, 2002
Published in Alternative Therapies Magazine, July 1997, Vol. 3, No. 4, p. 89

Not exactly independent peer reviewed scientific evidence is it :wink:

Exactly, it depends who is doing it. I am not denying healers exist, but I am denying that millions of people in the world who claim to be Reiki healers are legitmate. These reiki healers do not have to pass any exams to prove they have ability there is no independent professional body to certify them. In fact all you need to do to get a Reiki level 1, 2 and 3 is simply pay somebody to give you an “attunement” through a ritual like process and then you call yourself a Reiki healer.

Can you imagine doctors passing out of medical school without doing any exams or getting any certification? These Reiki people need to actually prove they have ability - just them believing they have it is not enough. If I said I beleive I am a brain surgeon would you let me operate on your brain? :smiley:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;60627]

Imagine, Imagine, imagine, imagine, imagine… This is new age spirituality.
[/QUOTE]

BTW yoga sutras says that imagination is another vacillation in the citta… and is a "fluctuating knowledge created by sabda only…

Lotusgirl, in my personal experience I’ve seen many things are sold as “yoga” : things such as shamanic practices, cults, psychotherapy, physical therapy, and things that even do not have a name on their own…and this is not just in the States.

The good thing that one can go, read, discover and make hopefully sane choice about what to do an dhow to apply it;)

Surya Deva, a question: Is there a codified system of pranic healing in Hinduism? I’ve seen some Shaiva Siddhanta swamis mentioning it, but never heard a specific name, shastra, lineage for it.

I don’t know much about that. I do know energy healing has been mentioned in Hindu lore, but I don’t know of any particular texts which teach healing as a method. It is sort of implied through in pranic sciences where one works directly with pranic energies and can extract them from the sun, plants, air, rocks or the ether. They can also be directed at somebody.

However, these are not easy abilities to develop. They are acquired at an intermediate stage of Yoga development of at least 20 years of practice. Not 2 months of receiving some imaginary attunement. If you were a genuine healer it would be absolutely clear you were one. Here is how it can be proven: somebody with a tumour goes to a healer. Healer heals the tumour. Tumor disappears.

What we need are actual standards and examinations for so-called healers, clairvoyants, mediums and psychics to get rid of the charlatans. I think you will find if we did this about 99% of the people would disappear. Real healers, clairvoyants, mediums and psychics are VERY rare. Simply because it takes very hard, dedicated and constant spiritual practice for a long time before one can even develop even basic powers like regulating ones body termpature.

Hey, I was King Arthur in Middle Earth as well… how’s that possible? :confused:

On a more serious note: excellent post, SD. I agree that 99% of what is popularly considered to be “spiritual”, “metaphysical”, " magical" or you name it, is simply the result of an over-heated imagination (quite probably hyper-charged with psychedelics).

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that…:evil:

There is a lot of bunk out there, for sure.

I like what the Dalai Lama had to say - it went something like this;

“—if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims. That which science cannot conclude to true or false is another matter entirely”

That could be said about many things.

When I had begun feel attunement to shamanic-animistic ways, I knew that a reliable guide would be hard to find. Regarding this, there are many strange and magical accounts in New age literature and people that treat this stuff evangelically. Particularly, in order to survive, modern Native Americans had found a way to merchandize their symbols, petroglyphs and other features of their culture during mid-70s; and it occurs to me that the emergent American New Agers took these cultural products and reintroduced to society in an ok-inspiring but superficial way.

While in Lakota culture, for example, eagle is often the most brilliant representation of Wakan Tanka and the myths were created in such a way that tribal members could enjoy the “wildness” within by directly interacting with pristine nature. Rituals, such as chanting (a kind of intuitive prana exercise), are also complementary to solidfy one’s soul identity and attribution of an animal or phenomenon to his/her present self. In that way, this group enjoys an embodied reality with dances and chantings that are by no means silly or unmeaningful. In times of need, medicine men (shamans) are both psychotherapists and physiotherapist; however, in their practice, they retain the myths in order to offer a capacity to beat an illness by transcending reality. Sometimes, medicine men summon a power animal, and often medicine men are accustomed to live on the thin line between conscious world and unconscious world. It is not because they are delirious, but because they are extremely sensitive people and their tribes appoint them as shamans accordingly.

Now this stuff seems to be the real deal and additionally, Leslie Gray’s (a shamanic healer and a professional clinical psychologist) studies are contributing this. However, she told me that getting in contact with traditional medicine men is hard since Native Americans have trust issues. One reason is historical - distrust to white men. And the other reason, as it is tied to first reason, is New Agey people.

It is New Agey people who take this knowledge, give nothing back, and go on writing silly books about Native American crystals, dreamcatchers and so on. They keep the original cultural base, however, they twist everything, when they start interpreting things in such a way that, on the 5th page of any New Age book, there begins a section about chakras. The next section will probably be on crystal powers, and the next one is a mind healing or tibetan astrology, or even Annunnaki or Nibiruans. Its all perpetuated syncretism with a sheer number of speculation. America is full of them, and unbelievable that is, this is more than a billion dollar publishing industry!!!

Now the bottom of line is, this works in creating peaceful communities. Yet there is a catch: that is, if you take the authentic, say, Lakota culture and superficially reinterpret it in a book, people start believing in the New Age version. Because the authentic version is transmitted via oral storytelling, and writing once again bests the oral communication.

So in a sense, the obsessive-compulsive New Age subculture, rather than reinvigorating, devolves authentic rituals and customs. Yet, they get results in the name of peace. So, perhaps, this is how it’s supposed to be from now on. Silly, yes, but peaceful, leastways on the surface. Some people gradually overcome this and become seeker of authentic traditions, such as our friend Surya Deva here, for he mentioned of his previous self - and his change from New Age to radical Hinduism.

The concept that thoughts can affect your body is called “psychoneuroimmunology” and new science shows that spiritual thoughts actually have a large impact on a person’s ability to heal.

Read more: