Yoga for torn meniscus?

Tore my meniscus in my left knee in two places the osteopathic Doctor that I went to said he did not feel I needed surgery that it would basically grind itself down, but I was going to be on crutches for a couple weeks first. My Family MD agreed but he added I needed to wear a rigid knee brace which I did. Both said take it easy and do not do anything to make it worse, basically I had a year without yoga or any other exercises that stressed my knee.

I a total of 1.5 years of crutches, rigid knee brace, cane, semi rigid knee brace and limping. I am now back about 90% but any yoga or other exercise that I do that will heavily stress my knee I still wear a semi rigid knee brace, which is better than a year ago when any exercise I did required a semi rigid knee brace

So there are Western Docs out there that will work with you without surgery but they are few and far between. I was just lucky I guess.

However both of these western MDs and one OMD I know all suggested for the first few months I do pretty much nothing that will stress the knee if I can avoid it

One very important thing to remember when you are dealing with a doctor, you are paying them and they work for you, so do not be afraid to discuss or completely ignore what they are saying if you do not agree. There are a lot of doctors out there and if you look hard enough you will eventually find a good one

I’m new here, and am reviving this thread since I have some questions.

I had surgery for torn medial & lateral meniscus on my left knee (extent of damage was bad enough that no surgery simply wasn’t an option) a little over a year ago. In March of this year, I fractured the tibial plateau on the other knee, but ligaments remained intact, if a bit damaged. No surgery on that knee (it IS possible to find doctors with integrity that will advocate natural healing over surgery) and it’s doing great.

I have only been practicing yoga for about 3 or 4 months now and I love it. I feel like it’s really helping my leg strength and knee recovery, as I still have pain in the surgery knee.
I have extreme difficulty in Child’s and Hero’s pose, and can’t do them without a bolster. (Sorry, I don’t know the Sanskrit terms for all of them, much less how to even say them… ). Has anyone had experience with major meniscus damage and recovery, and are you able to get into these positions fully? I’m wondering if I’ll always be a bit limited, or if it will get better with practice. I feel as if overall flexibility is great, and I do very well with balance poses, but the poses which require full bend in the knee are still very difficult. And is there anything I can do/work on to aid in recovery? Officially, my range of motion is 100%. But for yoga, it’s clearly not.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.