Cultivating or releasing

a personal experience. Once I was once at a spiritual retreat where the object was to create and cultivate certain qualities about ourselves. in doing this practice what we did was overeact when a thought came up that was opposit of what we were trying to cultivate. So we were trying to create happiness and anything that came up contrary to it we expressed and acted out. In doing this there was a moment where I saw the other person with great appreciation, much greater then I can ever remember experiencing. It was a much different feeling then happiness, not the target feeling. So did that feeling come about by cultivation, or releasing past painful memories or thoughts.

as a child, it seems most children are happy then over time they may get ingrained with life experiences such as mom yelling, drinking problems in the family, people complaining, etc… so now, if the child wants to be happy again, must the chilld create happiness, or just release past “negative” experiences.

so to the yoga people here. If we are naturally creative, compasionate, and loving and over time become bitter and cold, in order to get back to loving must we create it, or just release attachments to certain mindsets. Many gurus have said our natural state is satchitananda, is that state cultivated or realized by releasing?

Peace be with you
Brother Neil

In my experience, both.

If a trauma from the past was never properly dealt with, the associated emotional block must be released. This takes the emotion from unconscious reaction to awareness and understanding and provides us an opportunity to change. Thereafter, a new neural pathway must be created, we have to work to cultivate the opposite and program a new way of being.

As an example, one experience I had was being spanked for something I didn’t do at the age of 2-3. I told myself then I would never allow myself to be put in that position again so I did everything I could to please everyone. Once I realized that event was extremely traumatic for me and released the emotion behind the trauma I came to understand WHY I was a “pleaser”. I was then able to create new ways of thinking and being. I was able to consciously make decisions rather than unconsciously try to please everyone and react emotionally if they weren’t pleased.

There is an axoim in Yoga, “As you think so you will become”

Your mind is a conditioned thing and your personality, attitudes and how you feel is based on that conditioning. If you want a different personality, attitiude and feeling then you can recondition your mind to create whatever personality, attitude and feeling you want. I do this all the time, and play around with my personality going from one extreme to the other. However, this is mostly only for practical reasons that I have to do this.
For instance if I walk into a bar or nightclub in order to pull somebody, I have to put on a more sociable and extroverted personality, even though my normal personality is private and introverted. However, I have found with experience my normal personality is not very effective in night clubs, so I put on the other one.

There is no such thing as a natural or essential personality. We change our personality all the time depending on circumstances, our moods. It is useful to do personality experiments to see which personality works best in a situation.

You do not have to go through any kind of psychoanalysis or emotional release therapy in order to change your personality. This is why NLP is so effective. You simply reprogram your mind and the results are more or less instant.

However, if you goal is not practical but spiritual, then you do not need any clutches like personality. You simply remain in the observer state, watching life unfold. Then you will gradually let go of all attachments. This can be rather lonely though and it definitey does not work in clubs :smiley:

Hi Brother Neil,

as a child, it seems most children are happy then over time they may get ingrained with life experiences such as mom yelling, drinking problems in the family, people complaining, etc… so now, if the child wants to be happy again, must the chilld create happiness, or just release past “negative” experiences.
it must release. A child is not always happy, already as a baby it knows a lot of negative emotions. What it does, is expressing them instantly. I have a son in kindergarten-age and whenever anything is upsetting him, he will express that very clearly. Even when he has to do just little things he does not like or is not allowed to do little things he wants to, he will, as adults perceive it, freak out. He will scream, cry, call names, even hit, slam the door, throw himself to the ground, his beloved mom and dad will be the worst people ever. After letting out his emotions, it can be just a minute or two later, he’ll smile again, come to get a hug and be the sweetest kid again. And that is a normal and healthy behaviour any kid that is not surpressed by their parents will show. Only if the parents react on such natural expressions with punishment (and unfortunately a considerable number of parents do), they will behave different.

Then, society interfers:

so to the yoga people here. If we are naturally creative, compasionate, and loving and over time become bitter and cold, in order to get back to loving must we create it, or just release attachments to certain mindsets. Many gurus have said our natural state is satchitananda, is that state cultivated or realized by releasing?
Unfortunately our society forbids to maintain this natural behavior, as it disturbs the efficiency of it’s daily processes. People, usually already beginning with kindergarten, will have to “behave”:

behave
early 15c., from be- intensive prefix + have; the sense is “to have or bear (oneself) in a particular way, comport” (cf. Ger. sich behaben, Fr. se porter). Cognate O.E. compound behabban meant “to contain,” though the modern sense of behave could have evolved from behabban via a notion of "self-restraint."
They have to control themselves, restrain themselves, contain themselves, bear themselves (down). So instead of releasing their natural emotional responses, they have to bottle them up inside themselves.

What will happen with all the negative emotions that are bottled up there? Particularly with those of a child? They will be brewing there and they will turn the happy child into a cold and bitter person. I fear this is, to some degree, unavoidable, because it seems impossible to keep a person from everything they will oppose. Even if one gives them the chance to express their natural responses soon afterwards, like after school, where they had to do all sorts of things they did not want to, the negativity they had to bottle up within themselves will already have done some of it’s black magic to their soul.

On the question what we are naturally: Yes, positive and happy. I think so because I believe that living beings are “supposed” to live and therefore receive a basic positive feedback just by existing. It says: This is good. Just like pain indicates that something is going on that is not good.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Hi Surya Deva,

Your mind is a conditioned thing and your personality, attitudes and how you feel is based on that conditioning. If you want a different personality, attitiude and feeling then you can recondition your mind to create whatever personality, attitude and feeling you want. I do this all the time, and play around with my personality going from one extreme to the other. However, this is mostly only for practical reasons that I have to do this.

For instance if I walk into a bar or nightclub in order to pull somebody, I have to put on a more sociable and extroverted personality, even though my normal personality is private and introverted. However, I have found with experience my normal personality is not very effective in night clubs, so I put on the other one.

There is no such thing as a natural or essential personality. We change our personality all the time depending on circumstances, our moods. It is useful to do personality experiments to see which personality works best in a situation.
I agree it’s useful to switch one’s personality so it works in a situation, but I disagree that there is no such thing as an essential personality. There is. Take your example of you walking into a bar. Inside, you will set up a personality that is extroverted. You say yourself, that your “normal personality is private and introverted”. Is that not your essential and natural personality? What is it then?

Also, it is a function of your personality to create the desire and make the decision to go into a bar. You might perform and simulate a personality that is useful to achieve your goals there, but this is one that is not natural, it only serves the needs of your natural personality. Even if you say that you’re now doing something that is totally nothing you’d normally want: It’s again an expression of your genuine personality.

By the way: The word “personality” is related to “person” which has an interesting origin:

“character in a drama, mask,” possibly borrowed from Etruscan phersu "mask"
Interesting.

Q,

You state:

I fear this is, to some degree, unavoidable, because it seems impossible to keep a person from everything they will oppose.

If it’s unavoidable and we all get some of it bottled up, do you have any suggestions on how we can release it?

Hi Surya Deva,

I agree it’s useful to switch one’s personality so it works in a situation, but I disagree that there is no such thing as an essential personality. There is. Take your example of you walking into a bar. Inside, you will set up a personality that is extroverted. You say yourself, that your “normal personality is private and introverted”. Is that not your essential and natural personality? What is it then?

Also, it is a function of your personality to create the desire and make the decision to go into a bar. You might perform and simulate a personality that is useful to achieve your goals there, but this is one that is not natural, it only serves the needs of your natural personality. Even if you say that you’re now doing something that is totally nothing you’d normally want: It’s again an expression of your genuine personality.

By the way: The word “personality” is related to “person” which has an interesting origin:

Interesting.

There is another Yogic axiom, “Whatever changes is not the truth”

If your personality can change, then it means no personality is the truth. Your normal personality is the personality that you normally resort to, based on the habits you’ve accumulated from the past. However, it is not “natural” because you change your normal personality into something else based on forming new habits.

A Yogi knows that world, body, mind, ego, personality are all false constructions, so they can play around with them and use them for their goals. It does not disturb their peace on whatever the state of them is, because they knows they are all unreal.

Our real nature is satchitananda.

brother Q,
I can appreciate allowing children to express themselves and not suppressing their emotions. Often times as adults we may place ourselves as authorities rather then equals with children, I even see myself doing this at times.
you say the child may act on his emotions, even hit or slam doors. What do you do in this case? If the child is frustrated when they are at school, at someones house, or in public, would you allow them to hit other people or break things?
Thanks Q
Brother Neil

Hi Brother Neil,

I can appreciate allowing children to express themselves and not suppressing their emotions. Often times as adults we may place ourselves as authorities rather then equals with children, I even see myself doing this at times.
don’t get me wrong: I consider myself to be the authority. I make the decision - if neccessary. I’m just trying to stick to the Daoistic hierarchy of leadership:

Worst one is the leader you laugh about.
Better is one you fear.
Better is one you love.
The best is the one, you do not notice.

you say the child may act on his emotions, even hit or slam doors.
To some degree, yes.

What do you do in this case?
Depends. I sometimes do nothing, particularly when the anger is reasonable, for example when I had to change an arrangement due to unforseen circumstances. Then I’ll just shrug with a “shit happens” comment (regarding what he is upset about) and let him have his 2 minutes. Sometimes I will take it with humor, laugh at what the boy does, mock him, rage along, imitating him, usually when the anger is indeed quite childish. In most cases he’ll laugh with me soon, in some, when he’s “serious” say something like “stop this nonsense!!!” Sometimes I do surpress his actions, particularly when I haven’t got the nerves or when he’s taking it too far.

If the child is frustrated when they are at school, at someones house, or in public, would you allow them to hit other people or break things?
My child…? Because that one isn’t going to school yet. However, in any case: No. Breaking things is out of the question anyway (you’ve not seen me mentioning it) and hitting others is only allowed in defense. The boy may only hit me, we play-fight a lot anyway and I don’t mind serving him as a punching bag. And he understands that.

However, as I said it’s unavoidable that kids will have to learn to behave. The interesting thing is, that my son behaves very good without us having to tell him much. I have no complaints and I hear no complaints, everybody likes him, both kids and adults, he is in no way aggressive or difficult to handle, on the contrary is he remarkably kind, never mean, mostly in a very positive mood, with the only exception when he is very tired. He does hit other kids, but it’s either harmless playing without anyone getting hurt or self-defense. Even when he annoys us parents, it’s because he won’t stop making jokes and fun and play around while it’s already time to go to bed.

When he will have to go to school, I hope that he will simply both understand that he has to and like going there, learning stuff. I have some fear that my strategy of allowing him to express himself will cause problems when he will come into situations where he may not, but he already may not do anything he’s allowed to do at home in kindergarten, but, as I said, he already makes no problems there. So I guess he having the opportunity to act himself out at home and around his parents is good enough for him.

Hi David,

If it’s unavoidable and we all get some of it bottled up, do you have any suggestions on how we can release it?
I think that injuries of the psyche are quite similar to those of the body. The minor stuff will heal over time without leaving a trace behind, but major things will leave a scar that will last. So the best strategy should be to learn to live with that scar.

Another option might be something like Yoga, to learn to stop identifying yourself with your flesh and mind. I’m not so sure if that really works, people say it does, but it’s not really my experience. I can go beyond who and what I am, but it’s always temporarily, during (some kind of) meditation. For example when you simply watch a movie or listen to music or are in nature: You forget yourself and become one with your reception. But sooner or later your remember yourself again.

And another option is self-hypnozis/auto-suggestion. I’m not so fond of that approach, but you can, and I guess the Yoga-Sutra suggest this, just try to surpress any negativity in your life by focusing on the oposite. The mind can be trained to do that, but I don’t know what the negativity will do then. Where it will go, what it will cause there. Maybe you can put all the bad stuff in some mental box and hide it in some mental corner of some mental basement. It’s nothing I ever tried, I prefer confrontation, processing that stuff as far as I can and then simply accepting what of it I cannot resolve. You know, in some cases the problem might be that you feel guilty for something. Processing it you might find that you are not, or only to some degree. You also might find that you really are, and then you have just to accept that you’re just a human being and make mistakes. Understanding and accepting that you cannot be perfect helps a lot. But it doesn’t resolve everything.

Hi Surya Deva,

There is another Yogic axiom, "Whatever changes is not the truth"
and?

If your personality can change, then it means no personality is the truth.
Let’s say that was true: Still you agree there is something as “personality”, right? What is that personality then? An illusion? If it is an illusion: What is the illusion? Does the illusion exist?

Your normal personality is the personality that you normally resort to, based on the habits you’ve accumulated from the past.
That’s what I meant.

However, it is not “natural” because you change your normal personality into something else based on forming new habits.
Yes you can, but that something else, that is based on forming new habits, is then the personlity that you normally resort to, based on the habits you’ve accumulated from the past. Because you will not have that new personality the instant you form a new habit. In that moment when you first form the new habits, you will still have the personality that you normally resort to. Only after the new formed habits have become a base, your then normal personality can base on these habits. And only then this new personality is really your normal personality, the natural one, the essential one, that you resort to, based on the habits you’ve accumulated from the past.

Right?

A Yogi knows that world, body, mind, ego, personality are all false constructions, so they can play around with them and use them for their goals. It does not disturb their peace on whatever the state of them is, because they knows they are all unreal.
I mostly agree, just that I see no reason to assume something would be false or unreal. It is different than we interpret it. But if there was simply nothing, we would not have anything to interpret and we would not even be able to interpret. For example a cup. Is it a false construction? Is it unreal? Is there nothing? Then how come we see and feel the cup? Who is it, that sees and feels, and what is it they see and feel? I think it must be something, and I’m pretty sure it’s beyond our comprehension as human beings. But it’s not nothing. It might not be matter. Maybe not energy. It might be an illusion or just a thought. Well then the cup is - a thought. An illusion. But the cup is. Because if it was nothing, there would not be anything that could make think of as a cup.

Our real nature is satchitananda.
What makes you think so?

Quetzalcoatal,

There are two points you raise:

1. Is the personality, body, a cup real or an illusion
  2. Is there a natural personality we build on

Here are the Yogic answers:

1. The definition of what is real is anything that can be perceived. A mirage is therefore real and the definition of what unreal is when we mistake something to something else: the mirage for the oasis. So yes the personality, body are cup are real by Yogic definition.
    However, if you use the normal Western definition of the word where real means something which has an independent existence from us, then the personality, body and cup are not real, because they do not exist independently of us, but are constructions within consciousness itself.

2. The yogic answer to this is that because we have free will our past karmas are always inferior to our current karmas. Past karmas are powerful, but they are not determinants, they are just powerful influeces. There are many powerful influences we face spiritual, mental, social, biological, astrological, but if we have enough will power(ichaa shakti) we can override all influences. You always have the power to erase all your karmas and the Vedas positively assert this can be done in a single lifetime if you make that your sole goal and practice a good enough Yoga. The chances are, however, and I am as much as fault for this at the moment, you would rather not do that, because you want experiences, pleasures, relationships, materials. You yourself have chosen to remain in samsara, karma is not forcing you. However, when you are ready, you can give it all up and turn to liberation. You can play with your personality in very radical ways if you want so that nothing of the old remains.

Hello Surya Deva,

There are two points you raise:

1. Is the personality, body, a cup real or an illusion
  2. Is there a natural personality we build on

Here are the Yogic answers:
are these Yogic answers your answers as well?

1. The definition of what is real is anything that can be perceived. A mirage is therefore real and the definition of what unreal is when we mistake something to something else: the mirage for the oasis. So yes the personality, body are cup are real by Yogic definition.
    So you say the cup is something that we mistaken for a cup? What is it then, “really”? A frog? :wink:

The cup is something that we interpret as a cup. That is no mistake. A mistake would it be if we thought that the cup is just that what we see: Color, shape, weight, material. And nothing else. We already know from physics that if we, with our possiblities, look closer, there is a bunch of molecules, atoms, energies, forces, so we know the cup is not just color, shape, weight and material. And it’s quite surely as well something else than molecules, atoms, energies and forces.

However: We will not perceive that, what we now perceive as a cup, as a frog. So the cup is not a mirage or our interpretation of that something as a cup a mistake.

However, if you use the normal Western definition of the word where real means something which has an independent existence from us, then the personality, body and cup are not real, because they do not exist independently of us, but are constructions within consciousness itself.
I believe that is incorrect, because if we speak of us, then we are discrete entities, or at least entities that can be defined: Here we begin, there we end. For example will something, that I interpret as a cup, be interpreted as a cup by anybody else. If I sent you a cup in a box, you will not open the box and interpret what I sent you as a frog. And if you should have never seen a cup and would not know what it is, that I sent you, you would still not, if you knew a frog, think it’s a frog, and if you had words to describe the content of the box, your description would be one of a cup.

So the cup is nothing I construct. It is a construction that I interpret, and that every entity capable of interpretation will interpret just as I do. For example is a cup smaller than a car and it is larger than a coin. It is impossible to interpret the size of the cup to be bigger than a car or smaller than a coin.

So that what I interpret as a cup, has characteristics of it’s own. These must exist indepedently of “us”.

1. The yogic answer to this is that because we have free will our past karmas are always inferior to our current karmas. Past karmas are powerful, but they are not determinants, they are just powerful influeces. There are many powerful influences we face spiritual, mental, social, biological, astrological, but if we have enough will power(ichaa shakti) we can override all influences. You always have the power to erase all your karmas and the Vedas positively assert this can be done in a single lifetime if you make that your sole goal and practice a good enough Yoga. The chances are, however, and I am as much as fault for this at the moment, you would rather not do that, because you want experiences, pleasures, relationships, materials. You yourself have chosen to remain in samsara, karma is not forcing you. However, when you are ready, you can give it all up and turn to liberation. You can play with your personality in very radical ways if you want so that nothing of the old remains.
    This is a religious standpoint, right? I am not a religious person and as such cannot accept a “this is so”, no matter where it origins from, as a criterion. For example have I no reason to believe in reincarnation and do not assume the Yogic answer or the assertions of the Vedas to be universally valid.

However, I perfectly accept if someone else is religious and I thank you for sharing your viewpoint.

In case I should err, please try to provide a reply that is not based on what scriptures say, but one based on communicationable logic.

So you say the cup is something that we mistaken for a cup? What is it then, “really”? A frog? :wink:

No, as your said yourself the cup really is atoms. No, the cup really is sub-atomic particles. No, the cup really is energy. No the cup really is forces. No, the cup really is quatum vibrations.

How deep down the rabit hole you want to go? No, the cup really is sensory data. No, the cup really is mental thought patterns. No, the cup really is waves of possibility within a field of consciousness. No, the cup really is pure consciousness.

Everytimeyou say the cup is x you are making a statement based on what your perception is teling you, but which can be contradicted from another deeper perception. Just like when one looks at the mirage and says this is an oasis. The perception of the cup is not an error, but your identification of the cup is the error.

So the cup is nothing I construct. It is a construction that I interpret, and that every entity capable of interpretation will interpret just as I do. For example is a cup smaller than a car and it is larger than a coin. It is impossible to interpret the size of the cup to be bigger than a car or smaller than a coin.

So that what I interpret as a cup, has characteristics of it’s own. These must exist indepedently of “us”.

What you call cup is based on an assumption that you see an object that seems to exhibit the same behaviour as in the past and thus you induce[ the conclusion that the same object has continued from the past. This is not a valid logical conclusion, but rather it is an assumption of continuity. At a more fundamental level, however, the cup mostly consists of empty space and electrons clouds whirling about and particles are moving about rapily from one energy shell to the other. The same object has not in fact persisted but it has undergone several changes even within a blink of an eye. At the quantum level it is vibrations of fundamental stuff.

You are conditioned to see it as a cup because of language and how our senses and mind construct it and represent it to you. If we introduce something that changes this process you will not see the cup as it is. A common yogic exercise is to simply focus on an object, and after a while the object begins to shift in forms. As it is really a form. The reason why people see similar forms is because they are conditioned in the same way to see it like that. However, mystics do not see things in the same way and nor do animals.

The notion that there is an external word which is real and independent is a common fallacy and it is based on the ideas of me and not me. If you get rid of this notion of “me” you will no longer see it as an internal and external split, but see it as a perfect continuum of mind and matter. What is this me? There is no such thing it is merely a momentary aggregate of perceptions, cognitions, physical activity and thought patterns. There is nothing there to create a coherent me.

Finally, the next step is realising that all things, such as your cup are not external to you but in you. You know as you say thoughts are taking place inside me, why do you all of a sudden then say that sensory objects are outside of you? As both the thoughts and the sensory objects are taking place in your field of awareness. Nothing is therefore outide of you. It’s all in you. All of space-time and existence.

As I was telling somebody earlier on it is now proven in neuroscience that our entire sensory reality is virtual and constructed. Now another Yogic axiom, “All reality is mind only”

This is a religious standpoint, right? I am not a religious person and as such cannot accept a “this is so”, no matter where it origins from, as a criterion. For example have I no reason to believe in reincarnation and do not assume the Yogic answer or the assertions of the Vedas to be universally valid.

However, I perfectly accept if someone else is religious and I thank you for sharing your viewpoint.

In case I should err, please try to provide a reply that is not based on what scriptures say, but one based on communicationable logic.

Nothing is religious here, if you mean something based on faith. It is based on a science you do not yet understand. So I will not now go this deep down the rabbit hole just yet :wink: Anway suffice it to say all that needs to be understand is that personality which is based on previous thought patterns and habits can be changed because one has the ability to become aware of them and change them if they so wish. So there is no such thing as an essential personality. You can construct it and deconstruct it as you wish.
old habits can be erased and new habits created.

Hello Surya Deva,

[quote]This is a religious standpoint, right? I am not a religious person and as such cannot accept a “this is so”, no matter where it origins from, as a criterion. For example have I no reason to believe in reincarnation and do not assume the Yogic answer or the assertions of the Vedas to be universally valid.

Nothing is religious here, if you mean something based on faith. It is based on a science you do not yet understand. So I will not now go this deep down the rabbit hole just yet :wink: Anway suffice it to say all that needs to be understand is that personality which is based on previous thought patterns and habits can be changed because one has the ability to become aware of them and change them if they so wish. So there is no such thing as an essential personality. You can construct it and deconstruct it as you wish.
old habits can be erased and new habits created. [/quote]maybe I have misunderstood you. My notes on personality base on this statement of yours:

If you mean to say that a personality can change by creating new habits, I absolutely agree. A personality can change due to a lot of things, for example can a traumatic experience of only a few minutes change your personality very much.

What I question and where I disagree is, that the personality that you “put on” for example when you walk into a bar, is your personality then. It is not, it is the performance of an actor. Your personality is affected by your performance, as it is affected by anything that you experience, however, your outgoing behaviour that you have to “put on” is an artificial behaviour, that you have to force yourself to display. While your “normal personality” results in a behaviour that comes naturally without any force and any acting.

So what I think is that you disagree with this, when you say that a “natural” and “essential” personality does not exist. And I think that because noone I’d know would think that this “normal” personality would be an unchanging aspect and therefore it is of no use to point out that a personality can change.

No on to the question what a cup is:

No, as your said yourself the cup really is atoms.
I said “We already know from physics that if we, with our possiblities, look closer, there is a bunch of molecules, atoms, energies, forces, so we know the cup is not just color, shape, weight and material.” and in the post before that I said “I think it must be something, and I’m pretty sure it’s beyond our comprehension as human beings. But it’s not nothing. It might not be matter. Maybe not energy. It might be an illusion or just a thought. Well then the cup is - a thought. An illusion. But the cup is. Because if it was nothing, there would not be anything that could make think of as a cup.”

No, the cup really is sub-atomic particles. No, the cup really is energy. No the cup really is forces. No, the cup really is quatum vibrations.

How deep down the rabit hole you want to go? No, the cup really is sensory data. No, the cup really is mental thought patterns. No, the cup really is waves of possibility within a field of consciousness. No, the cup really is pure consciousness.
I wouldn’t agree with all of it, but however, the cup is (made of) much of that. For example is the cup besides being a cup made of atoms. So if you want to say so, it is atoms. And it is sub-atomic particles. And it is energy. And it is forces. And it is quantum vibrations. It is all of that, not “no this, no that”.

Everytimeyou say the cup is x you are making a statement based on what your perception is teling you, but which can be contradicted from another deeper perception.
I disagree. There is no deeper perception that will ever contradict the cup being a cup. Whatever it might be made of, molecules, atoms, sub-atomic particles, energy, forces, quantum vibrations, sensory data, mental thought patterns, waves of possibility within a field of consciousness, pure consciousness: It remains being a cup and none of the above models what it might “really” be contradicts that. It only describes the cup further, more aspects of the cup.

Just like when one looks at the mirage and says this is an oasis. The perception of the cup is not an error, but your identification of the cup is the error.
An oasis has specific characteristics, for example does it have water. A mirage looks like an oasis, it creates an illusion of those specific characteristics. But, for example, it has no water. So indeed, to perceive a mirage as an oasis is an error.

What characteristics of a cup do not exist? Can it not hold a liquid and can I not drink from it? For example is a cup solid. You might say: No, it’s not solid, it consists of mostly empty space. But if it was not solid, then it would not hold it’s form and it would not contain a liquid. So yes: It is solid, because it consiting of mostly empty space does not contradict it being solid.

[quote]So the cup is nothing I construct. It is a construction that I interpret, and that every entity capable of interpretation will interpret just as I do. For example is a cup smaller than a car and it is larger than a coin. It is impossible to interpret the size of the cup to be bigger than a car or smaller than a coin.

What you call cup is based on an assumption that you see an object that seems to exhibit the same behaviour as in the past and thus you induce[ the conclusion that the same object has continued from the past.[/quote]No, what I call cup is based on the characteristics an object displays. If it displays the characteristics of a cup, I call it cup.

This is not a valid logical conclusion, but rather it is an assumption of continuity.
I don’t even know why you assume I make that assumption. Can you explain? My only assumption is that something that has the characteristics of a cup is a cup. That is a very valid and very logical conclusion.

At a more fundamental level, however, the cup mostly consists of empty space and electrons clouds whirling about and particles are moving about rapily from one energy shell to the other.
You say it yourself: The cup. Mostly consists of. So it’s a cup, right? And it consists of something. Whatever it might consist of, what we talk about is a cup. You probably use one several times per day.

The same object has not in fact persisted but it has undergone several changes even within a blink of an eye. At the quantum level it is vibrations of fundamental stuff.
So let it be vibrations. Let it undergo several changes within a blink of an eye. It’s still a cup, is it not? It does not undergo any changes that change it being a cup.

You are conditioned to see it as a cup because of language and how our senses and mind construct it and represent it to you. If we introduce something that changes this process you will not see the cup as it is.
A common yogic exercise is to simply focus on an object, and after a while the object begins to shift in forms. As it is really a form. The reason why people see similar forms is because they are conditioned in the same way to see it like that. However, mystics do not see things in the same way and nor do animals.
Well. I am under the impression that you try to deconstruct a viewpoint that I don’t hold. I don’t agree with everything you say, but let me explain that viewpoint of mine. It is a quite simple one that does not need many words, so maybe you have overlooked my former explanation:

I know that I am conditioned to perceive things in a certain way. That begins with the capabilities of my sensor phalanx. I see, hear, taste, smell and feel. But I cannot see everything, only a tiny part of the whole spectrum, I cannot hear everything, only a few frequencies, I cannot taste everything, only a few tastes, I cannot smell everything, only a few smells and I cannot feel everything, only… a few feels. Also have I been conditioned to interpret the sensory input in a specific way, that’s why I think of a cup whenever I see a thing that emmits specific signals.

However, I do not make any assumptions about what a cup “really” is, only that I assume that I do not know what it is besides a cup. I do not think it is atoms or whatever. I also do not assume it is pure consciousness. I only assume that there is something that I interpret as a cup. And since I can distinguish a cup from a frog, I assume that a cup is something else than a frog. And therefore I assume that there are different things that do have specific characteristics. Because if there were not different things and they had not specific characteristics, I could indeed look at a cup and see a frog.

So I disagree that the form of a cup will ever change just due to how or how long I look at it. What can indeed change is how I interpret that something that I usually call a cup. I might indeed even see a frog. But a frog has the specific characteristic of being able to move on it’s own, so a frog could hop away from the table. That, what I perceive and interpret as a cup has not this specific characteristic, and so it will never hop off a table, no matter if I look at it, a mystic looks at it or an animal looks at it.

So I do not create the objects I perceive, but only the interpretation.

The notion that there is an external word which is real and independent is a common fallacy and it is based on the ideas of me and not me. If you get rid of this notion of “me” you will no longer see it as an internal and external split, but see it as a perfect continuum of mind and matter.
What do you mean with “split”? I know that my nose is not my toe, so there is a difference between my nose and my toe. If that is a split, then I see a split. But I also know that my nose is not existing unconnected to my toe, so yes, there is a continuum.

What is this me?
A set of characteristics that have a very strong connection with each other.

There is no such thing it is merely a momentary aggregate of perceptions, cognitions, physical activity and thought patterns.
Well, what’s wrong with that being you? Are a momentary aggregate of perceptions, cognitions, physical activities and thought patterns nothing?

There is nothing there to create a coherent me.
Then how come you and I and everybody who meets you perceives you as you? If there was nothing, nothing could be perceived. If something is perceived: I guess it must be something. Or is it all about coherence? Sure, anything changes. So there is nothing? Because it (nothing??) changes?

Finally, the next step is realising that all things, such as your cup are not external to you but in you. You know as you say thoughts are taking place inside me, why do you all of a sudden then say that sensory objects are outside of you?
I did not say that, but that’s allright. Now about sensory objects: Are these the senor-images of the objects or are these the objects that create the information that my sensors pick up? The images of the objects are inside of my head, yes, the actual objects are outside. You want me to explain why? No problem, but be prepared that you whole concept of existence will be turned up-side-down (it’s really revolutionary).

Take a simple example: You have eyes and you can see sensory objects. And right now, in front of you you see a computer monitor. You say the monitor is not outside of you, right? It’s inside. Close your eyes. The monitor is gone. :open_mouth: Is it no longer standing in front of you?? Keep your eyes closed and reach out with your hand. You feel the monitor, it’s still there. Keep your eyes closed and your hands to yourself. Ask someone else: What is standing right in front of me? They will say: It’s a cup. :wink:

As both the thoughts and the sensory objects are taking place in your field of awareness.
Sure. And who is that who has a field of awareness? Me? Noone? A continuum?

Nothing is therefore outide of you. It’s all in you. All of space-time and existence.
Are you aware of all space-time and existence? Are you aware of some cosmic particle a billion lightyears away? Are you aware of my nose? Are you aware of every bloodcell in your body?

As I was telling somebody earlier on it is now proven in neuroscience that our entire sensory reality is virtual and constructed.
Was this ever doubted…?

Now another Yogic axiom, "All reality is mind only"
All reality that we perceive, yes, because without a mind, we don’t perceive a reality. But if I sent you a box with something inside, it’s not your mind that decides what’s in the box. And yes, I know of Schrodinger’s cat. :lol:

Quetzalcotal,

This is a really interesting discussion indeed, thanks for this. In the interests of brevity I will identify the main issues in the discussion and respond to them, rather than respond to each quote piecemeal.

Let’s begin with the cup:

I think what we are discussing here is realism, and I must say you are giving some very stong arguments, which are causing me to think. The arguments you are advancing is the latest philosophical position argued by realists, called critical realism. That is that an object can exist on a continuum of reality(atoms, subatomic particles, forces, quantum etc) Critical realists also accept that mind also affects our reality, but not absolutely, there is still real objects out there, like cups, which have objective properties we can examine.
However, if this continuum goes beyond physical into the non physical realm, “sensory data, thought patterns, waves of possibility in a consciousness field, pure consciousness” then realism no longer holds. If it is true that everything really is fundamentally pure consciousness, then idealism is the truth.

As you may have guessed already I am an idealist, so I am going to argue for idealism. The main reason that realists argue that things are real is because thing seem to be separate from us, such as the cup. We idealists do not deny this, but just because something is separate and external from us does not mean it is made out of a physical stuff. Even in a dream, we see things as separate and external from us, such as dreaming of an elephant, does this mean the dream elephant is a real thing made out of physical stuff. No, of course not. Similary, we have no more reason to believe that things in our waking consciousness are anymore real or physical.

What do we know about things in our waking consciousness? We know that whatever we see in our waking consciousness takes place only after we receive sensory data from an external source which is then arranged by our mind into a coherent whole. So what can we say at most about waking reality? It would be perfectly valid to say it is a sensory reality. But what about the external source? Do we have any valid reason to believe it is made out of something different than our sensory reality(mind basically) No, and here are two reasons why:

1. The dream is also an external reality where we have body and world but it is mental, not physical.
  2. If the external reality is made out of a different substance from our mind then it would be impossible for them to interact without having a common substance to interact though.

Therefore monism is the only satisfactory answer of which both substances are made of. There are two kinds of monism materialism and idealism. Materialism creates several logical problems: How do you reduce mind to a material process? If say a mental process is because of neurons firing in the brain, why is it not felt as as neurons firing in the brain, but as an experience? Secondly, if we are all a resultant of processes in the brain, why are we aware of the brain, can access it, dissect it and impair it. Thirdly, how can any sum of physical substances and processes combine in any way to create anything non physical. Fourthy, even the very notion of “physical” is not tenable because whatever we call physical even charge, mass, momentum is sensory. In fact our entire world is sensory. Fifthly, there would no be perception of any world without consciousness, so consciousness is obviously more fundamental.

So materiaism ends up being logically very problematic and the entire notion of a “physical” is unfounded. On the other there are no such problems with idealism because it simply takes as its premise what is given, and that is reality is sensory made out of sensory qualia(forms, tastes, hearing, smell, touch) It exists across a spectrum: waking, dreaming and dreamless sleep. So whatever your state of consciousness, that defines what reality you access.

Now another argument. You know that you have a mind because you experience your mind. However, do you have proof other external bodies out there have minds? No, you simply assume that because their external behaviour seems to be similar to yours. Does this mean what does not have your behaviour has no mind(a paralysed person, an animal) ?
If we go with what is given here then we must conclude that either you are the only one that has a mind or that everything has mind. Your senses gives you external data of everything and the mind gives you interal data of everything. Now, it is also logical to conclude that the mind is more fundamental because it is inner.

So whichever way we look at it idealism is the most logical worldview and requires the least assumptions. Materialism on the other hand requires a host of assumptions and gives rise to several logical problems.

What do you mean with “split”? I know that my nose is not my toe, so there is a difference between my nose and my toe. If that is a split, then I see a split. But I also know that my nose is not existing unconnected to my toe, so yes, there is a continuum.

The split I am taking about here is the split between mind and matter. Where we model the world as minds interacting in a separate world of matter. The part that creates this split is the “me” Here is a good way to describe it used in the Upanishads. If you had a series of glass tumblers and you turned them upside down and suppose those glass tumbers became self-conscious. It would seem to them that the space inside them is unique and different to the space outside them. Until the glass shatters and the space inside and the space outside merge into one another. Similarly, you are under a mistaken assumption that the consciousenss inside you is different to what is outside you because of your false notion of me.

The me part as you admit yourself is just fleeting perceptions, cognitions, thought patterns and other activity which change from moment to moment. Now you argue because it has a common set of characteristics and because other people observe continuity that means there is a “me” However, when all the characteristics are changing perceptions, thought patterns, activities then how can a coherent enduring substance be created out of this? Every moment there woud be a new you and the old you destroyed and thus no continuity. It is logically imposible then for to be an enduring “me” The “me” then is just a practical fiction we adopt, but does not really exist.

Nonetheless, it is still something to say that we can create a practical fiction and thus give this incoherent cluster “me-ness” so there must be something possessed of the nature of self which can endure from moment to moment, but this cannot be any changing characteristic, it has to be something transcendent and the inverse of the empirical.

The “me” only has its being insofar as it is given by the transcendental self. That is the cosciousness of the self becomes associated with the “me” giving the “me” coherence, just like we can associate our consciousness with an inanimate object such as a car and give it personality, even though it doesn’t have any. Now you can also understand why the “cup” has a coherent form. It itself is not coherent but ceasless motion of matter and consists of mosty empty space at the atomic level, and at the quantum level pure information, but it appears solid only because our consciousness becomes associated with it, giving it coherence. It is just like how a movie projector projects frames on the screen, but the movement is not present in the frames, but is given by our own minds. Likewise, the solid world of forms is not solid at all, but only appears to be solids due to our mind imposing itself on it.

If you mean to say that a personality can change by creating new habits, I absolutely agree. A personality can change due to a lot of things, for example can a traumatic experience of only a few minutes change your personality very much.

What I question and where I disagree is, that the personality that you “put on” for example when you walk into a bar, is your personality then. It is not, it is the performance of an actor. Your personality is affected by your performance, as it is affected by anything that you experience, however, your outgoing behaviour that you have to “put on” is an artificial behaviour, that you have to force yourself to display. While your “normal personality” results in a behaviour that comes naturally without any force and any acting.

I think you are mistaking normal for natural here. My normal personality is the personality I have developed through a lifetime of habits, beliefs, values etc. To say it is natural assumes that this personality is innate which is false. None of my habits, beliefs and values were natural, I developed them by becoming socialised in a particular way. If I was socialised by a pack of wolves I would have developed their habits. Fortunately, I was socialised by humans who happened to be Indians living in the West, so I picked up a mixture of Indian and Western habits, beliefs and values. These then became crystalized in my neural network and thus creating a normal personality. However, later I consciously reformed many habits, beliefs and values, and as a result my normal personality changed and no doubt this is also reflected in my neural network with new connections. So nothing is stopping me from creating a whole new normal personality, and I can do this over and over again.

Have you seen the program “faking it”? In this program people with a polar opposite personality to one they are going to be transformed into are trained over the course of a few months to adopt the habits of a new personality, and in most cases they are so trasformed the experts cannot tell the difference between the constructed personality and somebody who has grew up with that personality.

In people who have disassociative personality disorder, several different personalities can exist, with little to no causal connectivity.

In other words what all this is showing us is that there is no such thing as a natural or essential personality but we can be creative with it and construct it deconstruct it as we wish. I have to tell you this realization is very liberating. If you want to a new personality simply fake it, initially it will feel very “put on” and after a while it will become normalized that you will no longer be able to tell the difference and nobody else will either. According to Yogic wisdom it takes about 40 days to create new habit-patterns.

All this emotional release therapy is nonsense and rarely ever works. It just ends up soldifying further the previous habits. I have seen it time and time again in subjects having this kind of therapy, and when I ask them how long they have been undergoing it, they answer 10, 20, 30 years!. There is no point even telling them that they can transform in 40 days, because they are so use to their old ways, and their neural connections so hardened, that even the very suggestion is felt as physical abuse to them.

Those of us are more enlightened, however, know how easy it is change personality, again and again and again. I am constantly doing personality experiments, I find it fairly easy to do, because I have done it so many times.

Hi Surya Deva,

This is a really interesting discussion indeed, thanks for this.
I find it stimulating too, but had not time to continue this, therefore the delay.

In the interests of brevity I will identify the main issues in the discussion and respond to them, rather than respond to each quote piecemeal.
If you yourself don’t mind, I would prefer if you’d do just that, respond to each quote piecemeal, as I feel that many of my arguments and responses to your arguments are being ignored, like I never mentioned them. I usually copy the whole text that I respond to into my editor, UltraEdit, and then slice it up. You can create double-click-tags with UltraEdit, so you only have to mark the quote and then double click on that tag-thingy and it will be put into (quote)(/quote) (as well as bold, italic, underlined, URLs, etc.). Very convenient, maybe you’d like to try. After all, this is supposed to be a conversation and discussion, not an exchange of monologues, right?

Another thing I notice is, that you still do not discuss my actual position, but something that you read about that might come close to it:

I think what we are discussing here is realism, and I must say you are giving some very stong arguments, which are causing me to think. The arguments you are advancing is the latest philosophical position argued by realists, called critical realism. However, if this continuum goes beyond physical into the non physical realm, “sensory data, thought patterns, waves of possibility in a consciousness field, pure consciousness” then realism no longer holds. If it is true that everything really is fundamentally pure consciousness, then idealism is the truth.
The idea of everything being fundamentally pure consciousness does not stand against my position. It could, though, as well be a physical realm, I just don’t know.

However, if the nature of existence is a fundamental consciousness, that fundamental consciousness is a) not ours in the same way our obvious consciousness is and b) creating some sort of realm that you and me and the cup and the elephant share. That realm has common laws and within it, the cup would indeed be pure consciousness, but it is pure consciousness with characteristics, that let you and me perceive it as a cup.

Also, while we have some power over our thoughts and imagination, we do not have the same power over that fundamental consciousness. We can, particularly when we close our eyes, morph the cup into a pink elephant doing a moonwalk. But the actual cup standing on our desk will refuse to obey our commands.

It might indeed then be reasonable to assume that one can merge their individual consciousness with that fundamental consciousness, and I believe that something like that is indeed possible, because I know the sensation when my own little mind seems to expand and then unite with a higher order of existence.

As you may have guessed already I am an idealist,
Why? How did you come to be one? Personal experience? Do you like the idea? Did books convince you? Or a person?

so I am going to argue for idealism. The main reason that realists argue that things are real is because thing seem to be separate from us, such as the cup. We idealists do not deny this, but just because something is separate and external from us does not mean it is made out of a physical stuff. Even in a dream, we see things as separate and external from us, such as dreaming of an elephant, does this mean the dream elephant is a real thing made out of physical stuff. No, of course not. Similary, we have no more reason to believe that things in our waking consciousness are anymore real or physical.
We have such reason, I just mentioned it: We are capable of imagination and memory. Not only can we remember an elephant once we have seen it, but we can also imagine the elephant doing all sorts of things. It is very simple for us to visualize an elephant doing a backflip. And we can even create new beings and objects. And ideas. I can imagine that I can fly. Across the whole universe. But can I really do it? Here and now? Take off? Nopy.

Also: Noone else does share what is going on in our minds, they don’t know what we think, visualize, dream. Even when we think or dream about others, do they have no way to influence these thoughts. They’re our personal creation. And when you see an elephant in the zoo, on the telly, in nature: You have no control over what that elephant does. It won’t backflip, won’t do the moonwalk. It will do what elephants do and nothing more.

So there is a very obvious difference between our dreaming-visualizing-fantasyzing and our waking consciousness. You cannot deny that.

Here, as well, I’d really like to see your direct response. What do you think of particularly these arguments? How do you integrate these true phenomenons, these obvious differences to your theory?

What do we know about things in our waking consciousness? We know that whatever we see in our waking consciousness takes place only after we receive sensory data from an external source
Actually it must take place before we receive sensory data, just think of a supernova millions of lightyears away. When we first see it, the whole thing is over for millions of years already.

However. What we know about things in our waking consciousness is: They are there. Whatever they are, they are. They do exist. And they are different from other things that are there too. Because if they would not exist, there would not be that sensory data, and if they were not different from other things, the data coming from these things would not be different.

That data then is indeed arranged and stuff:

which is then arranged by our mind into a coherent whole. So what can we say at most about waking reality?
It is something that we do not create.

It would be perfectly valid to say it is a sensory reality.
What you experience, yes indeed. For example when you see something, you receive light that is reflected. The thing you see (cup, elephant) isn’t that light itself.

But what about the external source? Do we have any valid reason to believe it is made out of something different than our sensory reality(mind basically) No, and here are two reasons why:

1. The dream is also an external reality where we have body and world but it is mental, not physical.

2. If the external reality is made out of a different substance from our mind then it would be impossible for them to interact without having a common substance to interact though.
    I don’t think that you can refer to the mind as a substance at all, it is closer related to information and meaning. For example when you have a wooden “Q”, like in my avatar. The actual “Q” I hold in my hand is substance, but to our mind it is an information and a meaning: Q, the all powerful being, the godlike creature. Everyone knows that. :lol: So the Q in my hand is substance, your knowledge what it represents is mind -> information -> meaning.

Therefore monism is the only satisfactory answer of which both substances are made of. There are two kinds of monism materialism and idealism. Materialism creates several logical problems: How do you reduce mind to a material process?
Fortunately that’s not my problem, but I can look into it if you want me to:

If say a mental process is because of neurons firing in the brain, why is it not felt as as neurons firing in the brain, but as an experience?
Because neurons firing in the brain is felt as an experience…? What would you want it to feel like? A titillation?

Secondly, if we are all a resultant of processes in the brain, why are we aware of the brain, can access it, dissect it and impair it.
You mean like how can we see the eye if it’s the eye we see with? We can’t. But we can look into a mirror. Other than that I don’t really know what you mean. Reultant of processes in the brain? Some other theory again? Not mine, shrugs

Thirdly, how can any sum of physical substances and processes combine in any way to create anything non physical.
I don’t know. But I know that just because I do not know something, it does not mean that it cannot be explained. For example do I not know how a banal calculator works. But it works. Maybe the mind is create somehow like an electric or magnetic field is created, similarly. But I don’t know.

Fourthy, even the very notion of “physical” is not tenable because whatever we call physical even charge, mass, momentum is sensory. In fact our entire world is sensory.
No, the information we have about whatever we call physical is sensory. I discussed that above in more detail

Fifthly, there would no be perception of any world without consciousness, so consciousness is obviously more fundamental.
No, why? If there would be no world, you could have as much consciousness as you wanted and wouldn’t perceive anything.

So materiaism ends up being logically very problematic and the entire notion of a “physical” is unfounded.
No, you just blow out a number of indeed interesting and difficult question, answer them yourself, and then make a conclusion that fits your standpoint. That’s only rethorics. Let me do the opposite:

First: If you had no brain, you had no experience, so the brain must be fundamental.
Second: See first. If we had no brain, we would not be aware of any processes at all, so the brain must be fundamental.
Third: How can any sum of consciousness create something physical, that we perceive?
Fourth: Even the very notion of “consciousness” is not tenable, because whatever we call consciousness is based on physical information.
Fifth: Without a world there would not be perception and no consciousness, so the world is obviously more fundamental.

So idealism ends up being logically very problematic and the entire notion of “consciousness” is unfounded.

Very simple. :wink:

On the other there are no such problems with idealism
lol

because it simply takes as its premise what is given, and that is reality is sensory made out of sensory qualia(forms, tastes, hearing, smell, touch) It exists across a spectrum: waking, dreaming and dreamless sleep. So whatever your state of consciousness, that defines what reality you access.
But you fail to explain where the sensory data comes from. When you’re awake, it comes from objects that different beings perceive. When you dream it comes from memories, when you sleep without dreams, there is no sensory data.

Now another argument.
Bring it on.

You know that you have a mind because you experience your mind.
Yes.

However, do you have proof other external bodies out there have minds?
No, only evidence.

No, you simply assume that because their external behaviour seems to be similar to yours.
It does not seem similar, it is similar. So I do not simply assume, I assume with good reason.

Does this mean what does not have your behaviour has no mind(a paralysed person, an animal) ?
No. That’s why I don’t assume they don’t have a mind.

If we go with what is given here then we must conclude that either you are the only one that has a mind or that everything has mind. Your senses gives you external data of everything and the mind gives you interal data of everything. Now, it is also logical to conclude that the mind is more fundamental because it is inner.
But the mind is based on my physical body, so it is logical to conclude that the physical body is more fundamental than the mind. No body no mind.

So whichever way we look at it idealism is the most logical worldview and requires the least assumptions. Materialism on the other hand requires a host of assumptions and gives rise to several logical problems.
Rethorics. Idealism requires a lot of assumptions too and gives rise to several logical problems too. So both assumptions, materialism and idealism, are to reject. As I do. I say: I don’t know. Unsatisfying? It really isn’t, rest assured. From my viewpoint, you and other people who think they have a sound explanation just fool themselves. Insist on a viewpoint, evade the logical problems of that, stress the logical problems of other viewpoints. It’s quite funny to observe. :wink:

[quote]What do you mean with “split”? I know that my nose is not my toe, so there is a difference between my nose and my toe. If that is a split, then I see a split. But I also know that my nose is not existing unconnected to my toe, so yes, there is a continuum.

The split I am taking about here is the split between mind and matter.[/quote]I see. Well, what it looks like, the mind we can observe is based on matter. At least have I not ever observed a mind that was not based on matter. And I am based on matter too, so I’d say that mind is a function of matter.

Where we model the world as minds interacting in a separate world of matter.
Who does that? Please respond.

The part that creates this split is the “me” Here is a good way to describe it used in the Upanishads. If you had a series of glass tumblers and you turned them upside down and suppose those glass tumbers became self-conscious. It would seem to them that the space inside them is unique and different to the space outside them. Until the glass shatters and the space inside and the space outside merge into one another.
Well, but as long as the glass is solid, the space inside is unique, isn’t it. Same with consciousness:

Similarly, you are under a mistaken assumption that the consciousenss inside you is different to what is outside you because of your false notion of me.
But my consciousness is different from yours. You say it yourself, I make all these false assumptions - you don’t. So obviously there is a difference, or how else could you notice that one? You don’t make this stuff up, do you? :wink:

The me part as you admit yourself is just fleeting perceptions, cognitions, thought patterns and other activity which change from moment to moment.
Indeed.

Now you argue because it has a common set of characteristics and because other people observe continuity that means there is a "me"
Of course. There is a me. Look, here I am.

However, when all the characteristics are changing perceptions, thought patterns, activities then how can a coherent enduring substance be created out of this?
I wouldn’t even know what enduring substance you talk about. I am this continously changing set of perceptions, patterns, activities. I am change.

Every moment there woud be a new you and the old you destroyed and thus no continuity.
Yes, just that the old me is not destroyed, it transforms into the new me constantly. A morphing process. I won’t be an elephant or a cup the next second.

It is logically imposible then for to be an enduring “me” The “me” then is just a practical fiction we adopt, but does not really exist.
There is indeed no enduring “me”. Noone ever claimed that, that is an assumption you make. You assume that someone (who??) makes an assumption and then you argue against that. But that someone does not exist, do they?

Nonetheless, it is still something to say that we can create a practical fiction and thus give this incoherent cluster “me-ness” so there must be something possessed of the nature of self which can endure from moment to moment, but this cannot be any changing characteristic, it has to be something transcendent and the inverse of the empirical.
Can you rephrase that? I don’t get your point.

The “me” only has its being insofar as it is given by the transcendental self.
Maybe. If so: So what? Then the “me” has it’s being insofar. Why “only”? Isn’t that enough “me” to grant it existence and reality?

That is the cosciousness of the self becomes associated with the “me” giving the “me” coherence, just like we can associate our consciousness with an inanimate object such as a car and give it personality, even though it doesn’t have any. Now you can also understand why the “cup” has a coherent form. It itself is not coherent but ceasless motion of matter and consists of mosty empty space at the atomic level, and at the quantum level pure information, but it appears solid only because our consciousness becomes associated with it, giving it coherence.
No, the cup has something in itself that we perceive as coherence. We give it nothing, we interprete what it gives us. That ceasless motion of matter and mostly empty space at the atomic level and the pure information at the quantum level: That is coherence, that is a cup. It is only a false assumption about what coherence is that makes these “deeper” levels contradict the assumption. Coherence of a cup is ceasless motion, is mostly empty space, is pure information. That is coherence. You only think coherence would be something else.

It is just like how a movie projector projects frames on the screen, but the movement is not present in the frames, but is given by our own minds.
But the projector moves, so there is movement. It’s just again your false assumption the movement would be “in the frames” that makes you think you found a contradiction.

Likewise, the solid world of forms is not solid at all, but only appears to be solids due to our mind imposing itself on it.
No, the forms of the world are solid, and you only have a false assumption of solidity that makes you believe there was a contradcition going on somewhere outside your mind. A wall is solid. You cannot walk through it, can you. A cup is solid, it holds liquids, doesn’t it. So if it’s ceasless motion, empty space and pure information: That must be what solidity really is.

And after all: Look at yourself with your theory of everything being just consciousness. You still have to eat. You still use the bathroom. You still drink from a cup. You still cannot walk through walls. You still don’t know what’s in the box before you opened it. You’re still like everybody else. Is that not true?

Give up - some day at least :wink: - all these assumptions and the attempt to find out what existence really is. You won’t find it. It might find you, for example in meditation or in the spirit of a moment. But - I tried it myself for a couple of years (how old are you btw? I’m close to 40) and for a while it is tempting as you might really find assumptions that are less unlikely than the ones you had at that point - you will not find it in theories, books, texts, models, no matter how smart you are or how much knowledge you acquired. The best such theories and logic can do is deconstruct, what theory and logic constructed before. What existence really is, is beyond your little brain and mind and consciousness, you know, because you are in that glass-thingy, you cannot contain the whole universe. Mingle with it, yes, but then you’re gone and when you “come back”, you might have a faint and remote impression of greatness - but that’s it, and even that you will not be able to express in words, music, art, or whatever. Only those who made the same experience will be able to know what you talk about. Books? Philosophy? They are guidepost. Look in that direction! they say. There is something great! they promise. And it is true. But you have to go there yourself instead of staying with the guidepost. All models and theories and viewpoints are insufficient, and the best you can make out of such models and logic is to dominate another model and another theory or a less smart person in a conversation. That is what you are trying here in our conversation, you try to refute some standpoint, while you don’t explain anything. And even though I play along a little, because I like using my brain and wind up in logic and theories: While some might indeed have that standpoint - I don’t have it. So you’re trying to refute something that does not exist over here. Try, for a change, to actually work with the few things I actually say, with my tiny standpoint (pretty much covered by “I am”, “something else is”, “I don’t know what I am and what that is”) and you’ll find your rethorics reaching the outermost borders of their capabilities.

But now onto the personality-thing:

I think you are mistaking normal for natural here.
You’re free to see a difference, but natural is normal in my eyes, so I must refuse to admit making a mistake. :smiley:

My normal personality is the personality I have developed through a lifetime of habits, beliefs, values etc. To say it is natural assumes that this personality is innate which is false.
It is the nature of the personality to be developed through a lifetime. Any personality you can have, is indeed innate, just that it only exists as a possibility. There are many, when you’re born, but they are not limitless. The way you live decides which possibility becomes reality. I just notice that I find it quite difficult to imagine a personality that is impossible… So lets go with the body: It is an innate possibility of any (healthy) body to play the piano. Write, weightlift, swim, etc. Wether you learn to play the piano, write, weightlift or swim, is another question. But it is not an innate possibility to fly. The human body doesn’t provide that option. I wouldn’t, as I said, know, what personality you cannot have, seems like that is beyond our imagination. But what do you think, please respond: Would you be this spiritual person, the thinker and personality-shifter if you had been born 2000 years ago into slavery, with no school, no books, no ideas? I doubt it. You would be quite mindless. Naturally. But still you were the same being and the option to be who you are here and now would be innate. Wouldn’t it?

None of my habits, beliefs and values were natural, I developed them by becoming socialised in a particular way.
Yes, and I would say that is natural. Semantics? It is the nature of the personality to be developed according to the circumstances of one’s life.

If I was socialised by a pack of wolves I would have developed their habits.
And that would not be naturally? How?

Fortunately, I was socialised by humans who happened to be Indians living in the West, so I picked up a mixture of Indian and Western habits, beliefs and values. These then became crystalized in my neural network and thus creating a normal personality.
See, you did not develop the habits of a pack of wolves. That would, in your case, be unnormal and unnatural. Unaccording to your experiences.

However, later I consciously reformed many habits, beliefs and values, and as a result my normal personality changed and no doubt this is also reflected in my neural network with new connections.
Sure. But still did you not develop the habits of a pack of wolves or anything similarly unfit. Another aspects adds to it, I come to that one right now:

So nothing is stopping me from creating a whole new normal personality, and I can do this over and over again.
And I say you can not, because you will never be able to start over from scratch. You will always have all your experiences that will always have some sort of influence to you. You are not free to create a personality as you wish, except if you whipe out your memory, either by some brain-damage or heavy supression via psychological methods, like brainwashing.

And now this is important, though brief: All personalities you might create willingly: Why do you decide to create these? And not others? You do not create a new personality randomly, do you? You make a choice: Based on what? Not your personality? Your desires? Preferences? Please respond.

Have you seen the program “faking it”?
I’m on it right now, watching an episode available here.

In this program people with a polar opposite personality to one they are going to be transformed into are trained over the course of a few months to adopt the habits of a new personality, and in most cases they are so trasformed the experts cannot tell the difference between the constructed personality and somebody who has grew up with that personality.
And now I’m through with the whole thing, quite interesting, yet: I fail to be impressed. The country boy had one month to adapt and then he was judged mostly based on his artwork (a skill he learned within that month) and a very few minutes of conversation. How is that proof to you that you can switch personalities as you wish? He did not create a new personality. He got a new haircut, new clothes, learned to talk in a certain way, move in a certain way, draw in a certain way. He learned to pretend. That’s all. And exactly what I’m saying. Sure you can pretend. Some people better than others, and - important as well - it will exactly be those who can and want to, who participate in that show with a chance to indeed fool the judges.

So this show is quite a weak example and far from being an argument for your standpoint. But there are people who change their personality in a short time dramatically, I do not doubt that. If they have to, if circumstances require it. For example when I became a father. I had to create tons of new habits over night. It is possible. And it is “normal” or “natural”.

In people who have disassociative personality disorder, several different personalities can exist, with little to no causal connectivity.
I’m not an expert on, uhm… “disassociative personality disorder”, but as far as I know, mostly from movies (very good: The Cell), the different personality all are created based on habits, experiences etc. They all make sense, they are like facets of any personality, just not connected, like the different facets of your and my personality. We can as well be kind and cruel, strong and weak, humble and arrogant. To seperate this qualities into several discrete personalities is only a self-protection-mechanism, but again no proof for your standpoint.

In other words what all this is showing us is that there is no such thing as a natural or essential personality but we can be creative with it and construct it deconstruct it as we wish.
No, it really is not. The country boy had no new personality, just a new haircut and some new skills, and the disorder-people as well don’t create their multiple personalities out of thin air, on the contrary is the structure of their psyche based on a very very deep influence and trauma. They cannot just quit their behaviour, as you suggest, so it’s probably the worst argument for your viewpoint ever.

All this shows us nothing. At all.

I have to tell you this realization is very liberating.
What did it liberate you from? Please respond.

If you want to a new personality simply fake it, initially it will feel very “put on” and after a while it will become normalized that you will no longer be able to tell the difference and nobody else will either.
Yes, that is basically possible. But if you are a very very shy person you will not turn into the prom-queen in only 40 days. Hey, you know that show “MTV made”? It’s similar to this “Faking it”, I’ve seen a few episodes of that. These people never turn from one person to another, they just improve, they just learn to be more self-confident, acquire skills. They do not shift or switch, they evolve and develop qualities that already were?

Innate.

According to Yogic wisdom it takes about 40 days to create new habit-patterns.
I don’t doubt that, banal western psychology probably not too. Some might even really create a whole new personality in 40 days. Acquire a lot of new skills, are forced into an environment. Like parents. Like war, another “good” example.

All this emotional release therapy is nonsense and rarely ever works.
Are you an expert in the field?

It just ends up soldifying further the previous habits. I have seen it time and time again in subjects having this kind of therapy, and when I ask them how long they have been undergoing it, they answer 10, 20, 30 years!. There is no point even telling them that they can transform in 40 days, because they are so use to their old ways, and their neural connections so hardened, that even the very suggestion is felt as physical abuse to them.
Probably because you are suggesting that a severe trauma can be whiped out by just faking it never happened. Give me an example: A person had been in war for five years, killed lots of people, saw the horror, his friends in pieces right and left to him, grenades, constantly eye to eye with his own death. Then another ten years a prisoner of war in… Siberia, malnutrition, slave labour, abuse. Comes home traumatized and broken.

How will they transform into a happy person like yourself in 40 days? How do they make the nightmares stop? The fear of uniforms? Closed rooms? Darkness? Put on a smile and pretend it never happened? And that theory is based on what? Some book you read?

Those of us are more enlightened, however, know how easy it is change personality, again and again and again. I am constantly doing personality experiments, I find it fairly easy to do, because I have done it so many times.
Maybe, but 99.999 out of 100 people just aren’t more enlightened and besides that, all you say about your experiments is just hearsay to others, while your proof (TV-show, personality disorder, “yogic wisdom says so”) is worthless.

A bit OT, but still:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;32320] A common yogic exercise is to simply focus on an object, and after a while the object begins to shift in forms. As it is really a form.[/QUOTE]

Wow. This sounds like an interesting thing to try. How do I do it properly? Do I just focus on an object, or is there more to it?