Contributions of World Religions

[QUOTE=thomas;44443]What proof would suffice?

Do you think Christians accept this on blind faith?[/QUOTE]
No ‘proof’ would suffice.

provide it to Surya Deva because it was [I]him[/I] I was only agreeing with…

I am done with this argument though, because I refuse to defend my personal beliefs.

Oh and I stated at the outset that I was an arrogant, ignorant troll…so there’s no point carrying this any further is there? :wink:

[QUOTE=Nobody;44458]I can believe in God without believing in an heaven or a hell can’t I?

I can become realised in this lifetime without having to believe in the next one can’t I?

When we realise we only have got ‘one shot at this’ it makes it all the more important.

It’s just my personal belief and I really don’t care if others disagree with it, but they won’t change my mind either.[/QUOTE]

I’m not trying to change your mind.

Just that what’s the point of religion if we die and and become food for worms?

I can be just as good worm food as an atheist, and maybe have a better time on the way.

I thought the idea of religion was to find a way to transcend this world, and live eternally.

If all religion does is help me “get it right” in this one chance, and then I die and am as if I never existed, then there’s nothing to look forward to. What good is a religion like that?

[QUOTE=Nobody;44459]No ‘proof’ would suffice.

provide it to Surya Deva because it was [I]him[/I] I was only agreeing with…

I am done with this argument though, because I refuse to defend my personal beliefs.[/QUOTE]

Fine.

I don’t believe Australia exists. That’s just a personal belief.

But I didn’t ask you to defend your belief. I asked you if you think Christians accept the resurrection on blind faith.

I’m not trying to change your mind.

Just that what’s the point of religion if we die and and become food for worms?

I can be just as good worm food as an atheist, and maybe have a better time on the way.

I thought the idea of religion was to find a way to transcend this world, and live eternally.

If all religion does is help me “get it right” in this one chance, and then I die and am as if I never existed, then there’s nothing to look forward to. What good is a religion like that?
The way I believe it, is to achieve a ‘peak state’ in this lifetime, help others and spread the love and joy and make the planet a better place for future generations to enjoy.

I just find it funny how Christians don’t believe in ghosts unless they are ‘Holy ones’…

Anyway, because you are being nice to me…I shall explain why I don’t believe in a life after death or the ‘hereafter’ because it does not make any logical/rational sense to my me…

We have a body…that’s where our five senses, mind and memory resides…agree so far?

Then, we have a soul/spirit which is apart from that…it cannot be realised by the use of the 5 senses…it cannot be thought about by the mind…

So, if the soul/spirit cannot feel pain or pleasure (because that’s an attribute of the body) if it cannot remember anything (because that’s an attribute of the mind)…how can it suffer in hell or enjoy heaven?

What’s the point of it passing from one body to the next without any conscious awareness of its past and purpose?

I have also read stories about those who have claimed to have had past-lives…about people that have claimed to have been abducted by UFO’s…about those who have seen ghosts and whatnot…nice stories, but none can be proven beyond reasonable doubt (at least to me anyway).

There have been those who have claimed to have experienced NDE’s…my mother was clinically dead for 2 minutes and what did she see? absolutely nothing!

But I didn’t ask you to defend your belief. I asked you if you think Christians accept the resurrection on blind faith.

Honestly…I do think that.

[QUOTE=Nobody;44465]Honestly…I do think that.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that this would prove anything to you, and that’s not my purpose. But if you feel like skimming through this, you might see that the Christian has valid historical reasons to believe in Christ and his resurrection–that it’s not blind faith–that at least there is some historical evidence and reasoning behind the belief.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/resurrection-evidence.htm

Hehe, you put your hand in the hornets nest Nobody, expect to be stung a few times :wink:

I agree with Thomas there is no point of having a religion if you do not believe in the afterlife. After all why live a moral life, when you can live a life of pure indulgence, sex, intoxication, drugs, rock and roll. If this life was all there is and nothing after, I would do that. Moreover such a belief really devalues life, the idea of underming another or even harming another is justifiable, because after all we only have one life and it all ends at death, so why bother about what others think or what have suffered at your hands. There are plenty of people who think like this and they go onto become serial killers, rapists and criminals(not at all claiming that all such people are atheists lol)

We have a body…that’s where our five senses, mind and memory resides…agree so far?

You are right about the 5 senses being in the body, but not about mind and memory. The mind is not in the body otherwise I would be able to open your body up and see your mind. Now we know that even memory is not in the body, a current and leading scientist known as Karl Pribram has demonstrated that memory is non local, it is not in the brain or in the body. Look his research up and revaluate your beliefs :wink:

So, if the soul/spirit cannot feel pain or pleasure (because that’s an attribute of the body) if it cannot remember anything (because that’s an attribute of the mind)…how can it suffer in hell or enjoy heaven?

It is the mind that feels pleasure and pain and it is the mind that transmigrates. The Atman is very different to the Jivatman(which is the mind) You are the mind and you will certainly experience the heavens and hells. If you doubt me, take some LSD :stuck_out_tongue: You will remember every detail of your trip.

I have also read stories about those who have claimed to have had past-lives

We are not talking about just random accounts of past life memories here, but significant scientific research into past life memories spanning continents with over 2000 subjects. How do you explain an evangalist caucasian Christian in America remembering their past life(against their beliefs) as a farmer in India, giving details of what village they lived in, the house, the family, the contents of the safe and very private details only known by the person they claimed to be in the past life. In addition, having a physical trauma in the part of the body where the person in the previous life had taken it. There are hundreds of cases just like the one I described.

Again investigate yourself and revise your beliefs accordingly :wink:

[QUOTE=thomas;44466]I doubt that this would prove anything to you, and that’s not my purpose. But if you feel like skimming through this, you might see that the Christian has valid historical reasons to believe in Christ and his resurrection–that it’s not blind faith–that at least there is some historical evidence and reasoning behind the belief.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/resurrection-evidence.htm[/QUOTE]

If you can explain to me how a disembodied spirit can be a self-conscious entity and how it actually manages to do this, to be able to feel emotions and recall all of its past experiences of those bodies it once inhabited…I may be a bit more receptive here…ya know?

You are right about the 5 senses being in the body, but not about mind and memory. The mind is not in the body otherwise I would be able to open your body up and see your mind. Now we know that even memory is not in the body, a current and leading scientist known as Karl Pribram has demonstrated that memory is non local, it is not in the brain or in the body. Look his research up and revaluate your beliefs

Everything I have been taught to believe has been based on the notion that the brain and the soul are separate things…

Now you are telling me that the soul has its own brain? confused

What does the soul look like then? does it have neurons? a CNS? how can memories get encoded into it? If it’s like a little ‘alien’ living inside us, how come we cannot realise the existance of it without dropping everything that this ‘alien’ also possesses? yada…

You are not really quoting what I said. I never said the soul had a brain lol

The soul(Jivatman) can take on any form. That is because the soul is formless. Like on a drug-induced trip you can look like yourself, you can look younger, older, or like somebody else, like an angel or a master. All depending on your subconscious mind.

Memories are not encoded in neurons in the first place. I just told you, it now known memory is non-local - not in any location in the brain. A memory is an experience that the soul experiences and it gets lodges into its unconscious mind(chitta) All experiences you have are lodged in there. This is why you cannot trully forget anything(there are people who experience amnesia, but amnesia is reversible and not total) You can remember still in vivid detail if you wanted to what you experienced when you were 6 year old in full technicolour :smiley: The soul is like the elephant, it never forgets anything.

The soul not only remembers every bit of detail in this lifetime, including the info you yourself do not remember getting. It remembers every bit of detail in countless other lifetimes. Naturally, those memories are even hidden deeper into your unconscious mind.

Yogiraj Siddnath once said humerously, “The problem with the memories your soul records is that it is not a tape, but a damn dvd in 3D” I will add to his quote, it is damn HD hologram. Not only will you remember this so vividly when you review your life, you will review everything your unconscious mind picked up as well. You will not be able to hide on the day of judgement :wink:

How can people with diseases like alzheimers…and their brains are getting destroyed lose their memory then?

Does the soul of alzheimers patients remember everything?

They do not lose their memory, rather they stop remembering. Like I said, no amnesia is total and irreversible. You might not remember your past memories for a while, but after a while they may spontaneously arise and start to trigger a chain of other memories.

We do not have to go as far as a patient with Alzheimers, just look at your own self. There are tons of memories you do not remember. Does that mean they are erasesd? Heck no, you simply do not remember. Some of these will spotaneously arise again triggered by some stimuli, some of them will rise in deep meditation or therapy. You would be aghast if you found out some of the deep-seated memories you are storing in yourself, and how all this time they have been profoundly affecting your life.

If you delete a file from your hardrive it may appear that you have deleted it. In actual fact all you done is remove the pointer in your operating system to the file. The file is there and in fact nothing you ever delete gets deleted, everything on your computer can be retrived by just going to hardrive. Likewise, the brain as it ages loses its pointers to the memories stored in the mind, and this is why you find it very difficult to remember stuff as you age.(It is a sign of aging) As you reach physical death in old age, this condition gets even more worse, where you cannot even remember what happened a few minutes ago and you may even not recognise your loved ones on your death bed(my aunty was like that) Obviously then, in your next life because you have an entirely new brain there are no pointers at all to the memories of the previous self, so you do not remember your past life. In some rare cases, the impressions are so deep from the previous life, that they surface outside of your control. This is known as spotaneous recall.

I go with Hinduism…lol

No bias honestly, not just because i like Surya DEVA

Namaskar Surya…:cool:

Surya for King…lol

Remember past lives is not a good thing by the way and I would not recommend it unless you can be objective about it. It is hard enough dealing with one life, but to remember several will overcomplicate your life. There is a blessing in not remembering our past lives. If you remembered back a time where you were some kind of rapist or killer it is going to be very hard to take that on board and live your current life. You will awaken those areas of the unconscious mind that contains those horrible rapist and killer thoughts and your life could turn into hell.

Namaskar Core :smiley:

Good to see you’re still taking shots at people…erm i mean intellectually i don’t mean ahimsa-wise…aham…lol:p

Course i’m kidding here…looks like light-hearted banter amongst fellow yogic minds…

Good to see you don’t take yourself too seriously…

As long as the sun is there in space, the light will always shine on earth illuminating the darkness. In my presence bad philosophies, fallacious arguments and flawed ideologies cannot exist :smiley:

You have this special ability Surya to bring every thing you shine on out of the darkness and into the light…it is much applauded.Unshakeable.You must have a steely meditation or yogic sadhana.

Yes indeed, logically and scientifically proven, yip i can see that in your prolific discursive output here.

Never a cloudy day around you, i’ve noticed that.You have a fiery presence about you.

Can’t just snub out the Sun can you not unless you’re something akin to the powers of God?

Have you been doing your Surya Namskara i hope regularly…

Salute the Truth, indeed:cool: