Contributions of World Religions

I am a sun worshipper. The sun represents knowledge and enlightenment and I worship knowledge and enlightenment.

Aum Bhu Bhuva Swaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo yo na prochodayat
Aum

I was probably a full fledged Aryan in my past life lol

At least someone’s still got a sense of humour around here… I was having some doubts there…

Yes there is a good practice involving the reciting of mantra with the full surya namaskar…

Yes i worship these things too… we’ve been stuck in the dark ages for long enough, time is ripe…

The way I believe it, is to achieve a ‘peak state’ in this lifetime, help others and spread the love and joy and make the planet a better place for future generations to enjoy.

I just find it funny how Christians don’t believe in ghosts unless they are ‘Holy ones’…

Anyway, because you are being nice to me…I shall explain why I don’t believe in a life after death or the ‘hereafter’ because it does not make any logical/rational sense to my me…

We have a body…that’s where our five senses, mind and memory resides…agree so far?

Then, we have a soul/spirit which is apart from that…it cannot be realised by the use of the 5 senses…it cannot be thought about by the mind…

So, if the soul/spirit cannot feel pain or pleasure (because that’s an attribute of the body) if it cannot remember anything (because that’s an attribute of the mind)…how can it suffer in hell or enjoy heaven?

What’s the point of it passing from one body to the next without any conscious awareness of its past and purpose?

I have also read stories about those who have claimed to have had past-lives…about people that have claimed to have been abducted by UFO’s…about those who have seen ghosts and whatnot…nice stories, but none can be proven beyond reasonable doubt (at least to me anyway).

There have been those who have claimed to have experienced NDE’s…my mother was clinically dead for 2 minutes and what did she see? absolutely nothing!

I admit that I struggle with trying to understand what a soul is, and what it does, since so much seems to be able to be explained by the brain.

And I do have times when I have doubts.

But I also would have doubts that there could be a universe without a Creator. And if there is a Creator, he would have to be infinite and immaterial, so if an immaterial creator can know and love, so could a soul.

Perhaps the brain is the interface to the material world.

A brain that forgets might block the soul from remembering while it is connected to a faulty body, but when the body and all its weaknesses and corruptions is dropped, perhaps the soul awakens.

From a Christian standpoint, because of original sin, we inhabit “corruptible” bodies and we are weak of will and intellect. Perhaps these bodies bring us down into a darkness of sorts, incapable of seeing a bigger spiritual world.

I’m just making guesses. I really don’t know. I don’t know how a disembodied soul would know anything, but I believe it does, and I believe it would know more after death. (Note that in Christian theology, the soul is not meant to be disembodied forever, and would eventually receive a new and perfect body, free of all the previous limitations and defects).

Thank you for the explanations guys.

I particularly like that ‘hard drive’ analogy because I can fully understand and relate to that…

So, The Soul is like a PC’s ‘Registry’ then? It has nothing to do with all the day to day shit, but unless you do a regedit and go into those blasted hotkeys, everything will just stay there until the next reformat?

…some stupid viruses will also get stuck in the Registry despite being reformatted though and the PC sorta ‘remembers’ those. lol

Anyway, even though I now understand it, I was brought up as a skeptic and non-believer…it’s more a case that nobody has actually ‘died and lived to tell about it’…apart from some NDE’s which can be very plausibly explained by an oxygen deficiency to the brain combined with a triggered birth experience memory (i.e the light at the end of the tunnel & stuff)…

I guess what it all boils down to is a matter of [I]Faith[/I]. I have absolutely no ‘Faith Cells’ in my whole body.

I believe in a ‘Higher Power’ (due to my own logical conclusions)…I believe in doing the ‘right thing’ to make me a better class of human being than others…

…and that, my dear friends, is where it ends. I am not ‘religious’ one little bit. I have tried being so, but I was only being hypocritical to my own inner nature.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;44484]I am a sun worshipper. The sun represents knowledge and enlightenment and I worship knowledge and enlightenment.

Aum Bhu Bhuva Swaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo yo na prochodayat
Aum

I was probably a full fledged Aryan in my past life lol[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah…next…

[I]Aasato maa sad gamayah
Tamaso maa jyotir gamayah
Mrityor maa amritam gamayah

Poornamadah Poornamidam
Poornaat Poornam Udachyate
Poornasya Poornamaadayah
Poornameva Vashishyate

Aum Shanti Shanti Shantihi[/I]

Oh geez…now you have got [I]me [/I] doing it. LOL

sarva-ṣruti ṣiro-ratna
virājita padāmbujaḥ
vedāntambuja Suryo yaḥ
tasmai Shrī Gurave Namaḥ

So, The Soul is like a PC’s ‘Registry’ then? It has nothing to do with all the day to day shit, but unless you do a regedit and go into those blasted hotkeys, everything will just stay there until the next reformat?

The data never get erased. Even if you format your hardrive the data still remains there. None of your memories will get erased, including the horrible past life rapist and killer ones(as an example, not saying you were a rapist and killer in your past life :p) but your indentification with these memories will get weakened. You will be able to look at these memories like any other memories - objectively - without reacting emotionally.

…some stupid viruses will also get stuck in the Registry despite being reformatted though and the PC sorta ‘remembers’ those. lol

Yep, very deep seated habit patterns are like viruses. Like I said, you would be aghast to find what lurks there in your soul’s hardrive

Anyway, even though I now understand it, I was brought up as a skeptic and non-believer…it’s more a case that nobody has actually ‘died and lived to tell about it’…apart from some NDE’s which can be very plausibly explained by an oxygen deficiency to the brain combined with a triggered birth experience memory (i.e the light at the end of the tunnel & stuff)…

You might be able to explain some cases like this, but not at all. What about cases where the person undergoing the NDE is in a operating theatre lying in bed, but then describes in detail everything that is happening around them and in adjacent rooms from another vantage point than the one they are in. Again do some research into NDE and you will revaulate your beliefs.

I guess what it all boils down to is a matter of [I]Faith[/I]. I have absolutely no ‘Faith Cells’ in my whole body.

I have no faith cells in my body either. I only accept either direct proof or impeccable arguments that demonstrate their conclusions without doubt. Again to say people who accept these things are using faith, is another common atheist strawman and adhominem. Again it maybe the case that some people accept things like soul/afterlife/reincarnation on faith alone, but others do so because of strong rational arguments, others because they have direct proof either through their own past life memories or somebody trustworthy, and others may begin with believing none of it, and get converted to it because of their research.

Robert Monroe, a pioneer in OBE research, was an engineer by profession and did not even begin with OBE research. His research project was to work with brain entrainment technology in its application to learning faster. It was found that binaural beats could induce alpha, beta, delta and theta waves. So he listened to this stuff regularly - one day he got scared, when he noticed - he was not in his body anymore - but on the damn celing! He was looking down on his body lying next to his wife. He thought he had died and got really afraid. Fortunately, he would always snap back to his physical body. After repeated instances of leaving his body, he came to accept that the binaural beats faciliated OBE’s. This is how his OBE research started. It was not planned, it was an accident - most scientific discoveries are.

Since Monoroe there have been hundreds of OBE researchers who have verified all the states Monroe has described. Focus 10 mind awake/body asleep and Focus 15 loss spatial awareness and vibrations and Focus 20 - entering into the mental plane(heavens, hells, and everything in between)

My friend, whose never had an OBE experience in his entire life, recently downloaded some of the Hemi-synch tracks produced by the Monroe institute, and now he has reported his first OBE experience. I had my first OBE experience after starting meditation which happened spontaneously. I had many after as well.

There are many scientific studies done on OBE in very controlled conditions not only have been able to verify that projection is taking place and something is indeed leaving the body, they have been able to measure that something with sensors in the remote target location with gauges. It also been found that electrical grids can trap the astral body(Do not mistake the astral body/subtle body with the Atman, they are completely different)

This is scientific fact, not theory. Its as factual as gravity and atoms. You too can have an OBE experience and verify it all for yourself. You need to dedicate a month at least to regular OBE practice, and you will project at some point. Many of my friends have succeeded, so I don’t see why you shouldn’t.

Similarly, Ian Stevenson began his research into reincarnation when he heard about people who could remember their past lives in India. He was intriguied and skeptical. So he went there and started scientifically investigating how valid these claims were. He found that the claims appeared valid. He then investigated over the course of many years past life memories not just in India, but in every continent in the world and found that they all had the same objective characteristics. He has written a brilliant research study on this, “20 cases suggestive of reincarnation” Check it out and review your beliefs.

Since Stenvenson, there have been loads of researchers into reincarnation and a strong body of evidence now exists showing reincarnation is a fact of nature. Heck, murder cases have been solved by interviewing the person who was the murder victim in the past life :smiley:

It is absolutely paramount that we accept the soul, other planes, reincarnation and karma into a world religion. Because they are real teachings.
This is where Hinduism-Buddhism-Jainism — Dharmic religons — make their contributions for they have recorded the best research, analysis and given the best explanations for these facts of nature, which no other religion has. Every other religion is hopelessly confused.

The new world religion will be a religion that will draw from the best of each religion has to offer. Like I said we cannot draw tolerance from Islam or rationality from Christianity. But we can draw from Islam how it can fully integrate you into religion and from Christianity its devotion, compassion and charity to the less fortunate.

[QUOTE=dharma66;44521]sarva-ṣruti ṣiro-ratna
virājita padāmbujaḥ
vedāntambuja Suryo yaḥ
tasmai Shrī Gurave Namaḥ[/QUOTE]

[I]Gurura Brahma Gurura Vishnur
Gurura Devo Maheshwaraha
Gurura saakshat param Brahma
tasmai Shri Gurave Namah

Aum Gum Gurubhyo Namah!!!

Sarva maangal maangalye
Shive saarvatha sadhike
Sharanye triambake Gauri
Narayani Namosthute

Aum Klim Kalikaye Namah!!!

Triambakam yajaamahe sughandhim pusthi-vardhanam
Uvarukam iva bhandanaan mrityor mukshiya maamritaat

Aum namah Shivaya!!![/I]

I could be at this all day lol

I could be at this all day lol

Lets just stick to Om Surya Devaya Namaha then :wink:

Oh yeah…now that I have stopped chanting Mantras…I shall definitely read up on some OBE research just out of curiosity…I may not end up re-evaluating my beliefs and I may…but like you said before…even a skeptic has gotta remain informed.
amidoinitrite? lol

If you are a real skeptic there is no way you will not re-evaulate your beliefs. It is a catch 22 :wink:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;44544]If you are a real skeptic there is no way you will not not re-evaulate your beliefs. It is a catch 22 ;)[/QUOTE]
haha! you are a smart one you are.

So, my usual reply of: ‘I shall give the matter due consideration’ as a means to placate others does not work on you?..oh snap!

Look mate, when all is said and done, my beliefs will probably change when I get back into doing yoga again full time and experience these things for myself. :wink:

Failing that…I could always be like poor old Aldous and take a trip on my deathbed. lmfao

Arrey, it is not that difficult, this Vedic stuff. It’s just common sense.

You have a body, yes? This body includes what? Flesh, bones, blood, marrow, stomach, lungs, brain, heart, lungs, throat, face, spine etc etc. What are their properties? They are physical, measurable, subject to change. They are bio-chemical, they are made out of food. Stop eating and it will disintergerate. This is annamaya kosh - the food body

You have sensations and feeling yes? Pains and aches, pleasure, tingling, vibrations, itches, tickling? What is the sentient part in you? What does it do where it is located on your body? These are physical, but not measurable, and subject to change. It is spread all around your body. It is easy to prove start at the top of your head and try to feel the sensations there, then move down from there to you feet, touching every part of your body with your awareness. Notice how it lights up and how many parts of your body start to vibrate - especially feel those powerful centres going up your spine. What is this sentience that is moving in you? It is Prana. This is Pranamayakosha - the energy body - also called emotional body.

You have thoughts, dreams and imagination, yes? Pleasent thoughts and unpleasent thoughts? Good dreams, bad dreams. Infinite imagination. What are their properties? They are immeasurable, they are non-physical, not tangible and subject to change. You cannot see anybodies thoughts can you?(Thank god, if you knew what they really thought about you, you would have a fit!) Notice the relationship between your thoughts and the flow of your prana. Notice how a scary thought causes a sudden movement of prana to your heart centre and shakes it up. Notice how areas in your body get solidified when you think of stressful thoughts. Where is this mind? It is definitely not in the brain, othrwise we would have found it there. Its in the mental plane. Manomaya kosha - the mental body.

You have a rational aspect, yet? A part of you can which perform mathematical operations, perform arithmetic and algorithim processes, formulate and decode arguments and draw judgements, even as simple as crossing the street. Its properties are what? It is immeasurable, non-physical, not tangible, subject to change. Note how when you jump to a judgement, its puts into motion your thoughts, which in turn create feeling and sensations in your body which finally lead to physical action. You are in a dark alley way walking on your own(scary place!) You see a strange man approaching from the other side - JUDGEMENT you conclude this man could harm you - THOUGHTS - You start to imagine the man doing horrible stuff to you - FEELINGS - You feel uncomfortable, queasy, your heart starts to race and your breath goes shallow - ACTION -you change your direction and walk the other way. This is coming from your intelligence. Hence Vijnanamaya kosha - intellectual body

You have an aspect that experiences occasional moments of joy, clarity of mind and receives great inspiration and insights, yes? I know you do, you’ve already experienced it at your hairdressers(of all places!) What are its properties? It is immeasurable, non-physical, not tangible and subject to change. This is the part of you that is the closest to your actual real nature - which is joy, light, love, wisdom. It is anandamaya kosha - the bliss body.

You are like a Russian doll - you have 5 bodies covering one another. Starting from the most external to internal: physical, emotional, mental, intellectual and bliss. If you lose the outtermost, whether you like it or not, it is not the end. You still have 4 other damn bodies to cast away :smiley:

You will smile to yourself when one day you float out of your body and realise you are still there.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;44371]You have called me an ass, a troll and spoken with great disrespect towards me and undermined everything I have said or done. Such as in this thread where I am making an effort to celeberate other religions and their contributions. In the past you have told me I have an agenda and equated me with some Hindu terrorist group or called me the leader of one. You have also called me racist. Of course you are insulting and undermining me. You are doing it constantly.

It is very clear for the objective reader to see that compared to you the way I speak is very polite :slight_smile: In fact, considering the constant abuse and hatred I get thrown my way, my behaviour in response is quite dignified.

You are not leaving this forum because of me, you are leaving this forum because your interaction with me has shown a much darker side of your own persona, that you would rather not see.[/QUOTE]

I will ask you another question, which like many I have asked in the past you will not answer; when and in what post did I ever equate you with a Hindu terrorist group or ever called you the leader of one?

I’ve studied terrorism and terrorist and sonny, you ain’t one

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;44371]You are not leaving this forum because of me, you are leaving this forum because your interaction with me has shown a much darker side of your own persona, that you would rather not see.[/QUOTE]

Nope, wrong again.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;44480]As long as the sun is there in space, the light will always shine on earth illuminating the darkness. In my presence bad philosophies, fallacious arguments and flawed ideologies cannot exist :D[/QUOTE]

Great thing that we have you Surya! The will of the whole must have a purpose in sending you to this wretched world!

[QUOTE=High Wolf;46450]Great thing that we have you Surya! The will of the whole must have a purpose in sending you to this wretched world![/QUOTE]

I can never tell whether you’re being sarcastic or not (if you are). :D. But if only more people in the world were like him…

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: