Sanskrit and western perception

Struggling to find answers to the question as to how westerners can percieve or project true meaning into some of the sanskrit words and symbols when practicing. In particular how can those of us who are not Hindu make Om more meaningful when it is not traditionally or historically our language?

“Schmuck” isn’t historically our language but we seem to embrace it pretty well in gridlock.

I’m not sure what yuo are saying as it relates to Hindus. Are you saying OM is hindu? Are you saying sanskrit is Hindi? Are you saying Are you saying OM IS sanskrit? This last one is the trickier question.

OM is universal. That is it’s entirety. It’s not owned by a people, a race, a language. The meditation on OM is incredibly meaningful. OM though needs to be instructed and it’s typically teachers who are responsible for conveying this. Most do not bother with studying Om or learning it. It’s a triffle. They do it becasue their teacher training taught it. Oh sure they might be able to spit out a meaning here and there. I mean I can’t tell you how many diffferent “meanings” I’ve heard for Namaste. May the inner light in you…it’s fairy dust to a sanskrit scholar (which I am not). Bow me you. Period.

I thik Om gets the same run. Ask ten teachers what it is, what it means, how it came about. Ask about it’s relation to Amen. Ask about the shape of OM. Ask about the movement of Chitta during the meditation. See what you get.

OM takes on meaning when we look into it. Sometimes this looking is within. Other times this looking is a Georg Feurstein book.

I was interested in trying to use Om as a symbol in meditation but compared to other symbols such as the cross or star of david or something else that has deep meaning for the individual, I think I would find it difficult to associate with the visual symbol of Om. Saraswati says using a symbol in meditation is essential to make ultimate progress but that the symbol must have some emotional associations or at least a positive meaning. I would like Om to have that meaning for me but can’t see how I canmake it so.

I am fairly new to Yoga but at my Yoga class we use Om. What I like most about Om is the vibration it makes when I say it. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say visual symbol but could a visual symbol be the vibration of life?

I think the sound of Om in mantra can have a deep audio vibrational meaning as a prelude to or part of meditation but I am also talking about the Om visual symbol that Saraswati says can be visualised on the chidakash or screen of the mind behind the eyelids as a vehicle to higher levels of consciousness. I have had a christian upbringing but the cross in this way has associations of a painful and humiliating death and I find this difficlut to work with - the Om would be better - perhaps you are right in that it may be an audio vibrational symbol to work with over time adding also a study and contemplation of the symbol philosophically.

I understand your thoughts. I will present this to my teacher for her opinion. I appreciate your kindness and explanation. laura

My thanks and I would be interested in your teracher’s views.
Best Wishes
Barry

This reminds me of a story that my teacher tells. His son, who was raised with both Buddhist and Christian imagery, commented one day ?I like that Buddha guy a lot better than that Jesus guy.? Of course, Buddha is often represented as a fat and happy dude, and Jesus is often the guy on a cross with fair quantities of blood. Very different outward appearances.

If Christianity resonates with you, you may want to re-examine the symbolism of Jesus on the Cross. In one light it can be viewed as horrific, in another it can be quite beautiful. Echart Tolle commented that it represents the ultimate surrender. You can take that as surrender to God’s will or surrender to the present moment, or just surrender to what is.

That’s not to say that you should or shouldn’t adopt other symbols. But, get familiar with them. You’ve had years of exposure to Christian images, don’t force yourself to embrace other imagery. Study it it, reflect on it, meditate on it’s meaning. Chant the sound while you look at the symbol. If it happens, it happens, if not, then don’t sweat it.

Another thought, clearing up your aversion to the Cross may make it easier to embrace OM, too. Just a hunch.

Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction Colorado
Free Yoga Audio

If Christian symbols resonate with you, why not use those? There are plenty that are different that the cross- the dove, the palm, saints (maybe there is one you relate to?), rosette, you could explore more comfortable symbols and maybe one day, OM will be comfortable for you- on the other hand, it may never be and that’s ok too! :smiley: