The Clash of Civilisations: Indian vs Western

I was thinking in terms of a previous post I made just prior to this one (Truth about yoga (a article for discussion)), was not talking about my educational system but a better one, the knowledge must come first then the practice begins. I assumed and confused you: “is there a better system then yoga to achieve this”…Of course for you that would be Hinduism

Surya,

“I disagree I think wisdom is better than stupidity; fragance better than stench; lustre better than dullness.”

Is there a cosmic law that states that wisdom is better than stupidity ? One is not better than the other, just as a flower is not better than a weed in the garden. It is simply that different states of being have different causes and effects. While wisdom triggers liberation, ignorance manufactures suffering. Nothing wrong with suffering, and there is nothing right with being liberated - it is just that if you are interested in moving beyond suffering, then one will have to dissolve the root causes at the level of the mind. Existence has no obligation for you to come to your liberation, in fact it is totally indifferent.

“And so do you because you may keep plants in your living room, but you certainly won’t keep dung there”

No, but I may place dung in a garden as fertilizer. And perhaps you may not find nourishment from it, but it will be a great source of nourishment for a fly.

"Ultimately everything is pure and good. What seems impure is just different grades of purity. Lower grades we call impure, higher grades we call pure. "

Goodness is a limiting quality, as is purity. Leaving aside that one’s ideas of good and bad are just one’s own relative concepts, that which is good is the polar opposite of that which is bad, that which is pure is the polar opposite of that which is impure. And the true nature of things is neither pure or impure, good or bad, it is simply beyond all limiting qualities and forms.

Surya,

“What is the purpose of knowing the composition of a uranium atom if all you are going to do with it is kill hundreds of thousands to millions of your own people?”

The same can be said for India. What is the purpose of all of your sacrificial fires, bathing with filthy water from the Ganges, if you cannot even put food in your stomach ? The whole of India has remained in a state of poverty, more than half the country has to live like beggars, even though in history they have possessed tremendous knowledge of the spiritual sciences. And to remain in this state of poverty was inevitable when there have been so many traditions which have been praising poverty and renunciation of the world as a great spiritual value. Particularly when certain segments of the society must remain poor by birth - since they are untouchables. Even if they cast their shadow on the other castes, those people must quickly cleanse themselves of their impurities. So the mess that has happened in India as far as material poverty is concerned is entirely their own doing - and just as they are lacking in material well being, the West is lacking in spiritual growth. But either one without the other is dangerous, simply because you cannot separate a pearl from it’s shell. The physical world is not separate from divine nature, in fact it is a direct expression of it. What you are calling the “physical” is just the outermost layer, what you are calling the “spiritual” is just the innermost layer - and they are both none other than the same fundamental energy. If you reject the so called physical, you have in the same breath rejected the so called spiritual - there is no difference.

Is there a cosmic law that states that wisdom is better than stupidity ?

Yes

THE LAW OF KNOWLEDGE

Wisdom is nothing more knowing what is true and remaining in harmony with it. Stupidity is mistaking what is true for delusion. Knowledge corresponds to reality; delusion corresponds to no reality.

Are you going to deny the laws of nature now?

No, but I may place dung in a garden as fertilizer. And perhaps you may not find nourishment from it, but it will be a great source of nourishment for a fly.

Well, you pretty much prove my point you will not place dung in your living room but you will in the garden. You will not seek nourishment from dung, but a fly will seek it. That is because it is not the dharma of dung to be the living room and it is not human dharma for it to be consumed. The dharma of the dung is to be outside in the garden and as nourishment for the fly.

Your prakriti is different to the fly’s prakriti, but the fact is that both of you are made out of the same elements of prakriti. Therefore we can say which of you is more developed.

The human is more developed than the fly i.e., the human form is superior. However, if you want to come back as a fly be my guest :wink:

Goodness is a limiting quality, as is purity. Leaving aside that one’s ideas of good and bad are just one’s own relative concepts, that which is good is the polar opposite of that which is bad, that which is pure is the polar opposite of that which is impure. And the true nature of things is neither pure or impure, good or bad, it is simply beyond all limiting qualities and forms.

Bad philosophy. Any idiot can tell you one comes before two. Good and bad did not come into existence simutaneously - one existed before the other. It was good. Here is why:

Atheism comes after Theism, because Atheism is the contradiction of theism
Imperfection comes after perfection, because Imperfection is the contradiction of perfection
Darkness comes after light, because darkness is the contradiction or absence of light

Likwise, our recognition of “bad” presupposes that we know what is good. Therefore good comes first. All was originally pure, good, perfect.

Now here is another bit of wisdom for you: there is no such thing as a negative. There is no such thing as darkness, bad/evil, imperfection, disorder. These are not - what are ontological(existent realities) things in themselves, but rather they refer to the non-existence of something existent. Like darkness is just the non-existence of light. There is no such thing as darkness.

Pretty obvious if you can reason straight.

“In any kind of relativity theory there is always an absolute that is constant for all. In Einstein’s theory of relativity the constant is the speed of light. In Jain theory of relativity the constant is logic.”

Within relativity itself, consistency is dependent upon the existance of inconsistency, whether in form or perception.

“Like darkness is just the non-existence of light. There is no such thing as darkness.”

If it exists in the mind, it is within existance.

“A quality educational system that presents all worldly knowledge, accurately and non-subjectively for the individual to make an informed choice is most excellent.”

This may sound excellent, yet worldly knowledge remains limited and therefore insufficient regardless of it’s efficacy. Direct experience is often hindered by knowledge, since it masks the necessity for such experience, and suffering in ignorance can be of tremendous use.

There is nothing wrong with desiring a system which may be conducive to awakening potentiality, yet it is neither a complete solution or entirely necessary.

The same can be said for India. What is the purpose of all of your sacrificial fires, bathing with filthy water from the Ganges, if you cannot even put food in your stomach ? The whole of India has remained in a state of poverty, more than half the country has to live like beggars, even though in history they have possessed tremendous knowledge of the spiritual sciences. And to remain in this state of poverty was inevitable when there have been so many traditions which have been praising poverty and renunciation of the world as a great spiritual value. Particularly when certain segments of the society must remain poor by birth - since they are untouchables. Even if they cast their shadow on the other castes, those people must quickly cleanse themselves of their impurities. So the mess that has happened in India as far as material poverty is concerned is entirely their own doing - and just as they are lacking in material well being, the West is lacking in spiritual growth.

Nope, GDP in millions in the past as researched by Economic historians:

1-1000AD

India 33,750
China 26,550
Western Europe 10,925

1000-1500AD:

China 61,800
India 60,500
Western Europe 44,183

1500-1700AD

India 90,750
China 82,800
Western Europe, 81,213

Hence for the last 1700 years(there is no data prior to this period, but it is clear India was still the richest then from trade reports with Babylonia etc and industrial output) Indian civilisation has been the richest on this planet. Moreover, it was at its most richest in between the period of 1AD and 1000AD when it was a 100% Hindu country. The total GDP of the world then was 120,379, which means India’s total share of the GDP of the world was 28%. To compare America, the most richest nation on the planet, share of the GDP today is 20%. Hindu India has the highest share in history.

It is clear your knowledge of India and East-West dichotomy is based on nothing more than stereotypes rather than indepth understanding.

Within relativity itself, consistency is dependent upon the existance of inconsistency, whether in form or perception.

Theory of relativity:

The speed of light is constant for all observers

If it exists in the mind, it is within existance.

Square circles exist in the mind. Does that exist in existence? In my mind I can conceive of a baby Hanuman flying into the sky and eating the sun? Does that exist in existence?

Have you noticed your points are, to put it nicely, pointless?

Key word: observers.

Does the speed of light exist inherently ? No, and not absolutely either.

And, I was thinking the same of your postings as well.

A happy coincidence.

“Square circles exist in the mind. Does that exist in existence? In my mind I can conceive of a baby Hanuman flying into the sky and eating the sun? Does that exist in existence?”

In your mind, they exist as images or thought forms.

Redefined as either concrete or abstract, two concepts remain.

Repeat this to what end Surya ?

Yes, it exists inherently. It is a universal constant that can be independently measured by all observers in all inertial frames. We know nothing can go faster than the speed of light because mass becomes infinite - E = mc^2. It is therefore a universal constant of the physical world

[QUOTE=JenniLeigh;59468]“Square circles exist in the mind. Does that exist in existence? In my mind I can conceive of a baby Hanuman flying into the sky and eating the sun? Does that exist in existence?”

In your mind, they exist as images or thought forms.

Redefined as either concrete or abstract, two concepts remain.

Repeat this to what end Surya ?[/QUOTE]

You are saying the absolute obvious here. Yes, they exist only in the imagination. We are talking about reality here. In my imagination I am Aishwariya Rai’s husband(Bollywood actress, considered the most beautiful woman in the world) :smiley:

Keep yourself grounded in reality and you won’t float of into fantasy and delusion.

“Yes, it exists inherently.”

Who can say ?

Certainly not an observer.

Imagination isn’t real ?

Pity.

I say no to stupid conversations where I risk losing brain cells through just mere association :wink:

The speed of light is constant for all observers in the physical world. Fact. Dispute it, and I will sue you for damaging my brains cells :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagination is not a real thing. There is no such thing as hares with horns for example. If you want to think square circles exist be my guest. I am not going to entertain stupidity.

Even through observable calculations, findings are subject to subjectivity.

Eliminate this potential for error, and not a single observer remains to report actuality.

So, your facts are basically assumptions or beliefs.

Which in your opinion are more real, than imagination.

:confused: :cry: “I am not going to entertain stupidity.”

And, just when I was beginning to have fun.

[QUOTE=JenniLeigh;59477]Even through observable calculations, findings are subject to subjectivity.

Eliminate this potential for error, and not a single observer remains to report actuality.[/quote]

We are talking about the world of time and space here.

I know what you are saying but you have assumed I don’t know that. I know the physical world is based on subjectivity. It is obvious. But the physical world is indeed constant for all observers. It has the same laws of physics which any observer can independent verify which allows us to calculate with 100% certainity the outcome of something when we know certain variables. The speed of light is certainly constant for all observers.

The world of mind is not a physical reality. It is imaginary. It has no position in space or in time. Dharma is concerned with what is real - not the imaginary.

I really will terminate this discussion if I don’t see an improvement in brain cells :wink:

[QUOTE=JenniLeigh;59463]“A quality educational system that presents all worldly knowledge, accurately and non-subjectively for the individual to make an informed choice is most excellent.”

This may sound excellent, yet worldly knowledge remains limited and therefore insufficient regardless of it’s efficacy. Direct experience is often hindered by knowledge, since it masks the necessity for such experience, and suffering in ignorance can be of tremendous use.

There is nothing wrong with desiring a system which may be conducive to awakening potentiality, yet it is neither a complete solution or entirely necessary.[/QUOTE]

Again yes, I blew that one, my excuse, limited time caused hast and assumption. Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, Zen do not just appear it is passed down from those before us so we may have better ability to make wise choices, practice, test and see what brings us closer to self-awareness, I assumed too much, thought it was implied, this is what I meant by quality education, examining systems and religions that have come before us, I must be more careful in the future.