Jal Neti

Hello there,

I am new member of this yoga community forum and please to introduce myself here.

recently i started learning hath yoga and came to know about jal neti as well.

how one can learn jal neti safely and with correct technique on his own?

Is there any side effect if it performs wrong?

Please guide me in this regard.All the answers would be highly appreciated.

thank you.

Aum

If you want to squirt water up your nostrils that can be learned on your own. If you want to perform this form of Neti with an intention that aligns with yoga philsophy then it is best to have a teacher.

It is possible to introduce infection into the nasal passages though I cannot tell you how often that occurs. It may be very rare. I simply do not know.

There are, i suspect, numerous sites on the internet for doing such a thing. But I think a teacher is best.

Namaste Aum,
Welcome to the forum! Since you are new here, I want to encourage you to search for topics using keywords to see what has been posted previously.

The searching for [B]neti[/B] will produce about 10 threads for you; I’ve included 3 here.

http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f18/jala-neti-453.html
http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f18/sinus-condition-11.html
http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f18/neti-pot-47.html

Best wishes to you in your practice,

thanks for the reply. do one can use something similar to jal neti pot? as it is difficult to find.

You are welcome for the reply. As InnerAthlete offers to you in an earlier post, it is best to learn all of these techniques, as they were intended, from a teacher. Jala neti should be the [B]only[/B] Shat Karma that one could possibly do without a trained Shat Karma practitioner taking you through each method.

In the Ayurveda school I attended, we used small watering pots, like you would use for your house plants. These are easier to find, of course.
You could also search for the neti pot by another name: nose bidet. If you have a choice, go for copper or ceramic pot.

Oprah did a feature on the neti pot too.
Dr. Oz Offers Neti Pot Pointers

Hi I have just started using jal neti for about a week now, but i am getting very upset as i am not able to do it properly. I think i am doing things right but i might be wrong as i have learned it online only by watching videos on jal neti. I have been doing mouth breathing for a long time now and my nose always seems to be blocked thats the reason i thought i will try jal neti but i am not able to get the water outside the other nostril or it goes in my mouth. it is very frustrating. I do not know what to do. Can anyone please help me!!

Hi,

I got just an oil can from Marshall’s and using it for Jal Neti, it is working out really good. Neti pots were very expensive, this oil can was for just $3.

Regards,

[quote=YogaLover;21300]Hi,

I got just an oil can from Marshall’s and using it for Jal Neti, it is working out really good. Neti pots were very expensive, this oil can was for just $3.[/quote]

Dear YogaLover,

You do realise that this is a very old post and that the OP was last active 18/06/2008 and Shiv was last active on 29/04/2008. You can see this by visiting their profiles. Perhaps starting a new post might be sometimes beter as it place the post up and gives it more exposure.

Anyway, using an oil or ghee is called Ghrita Neti. What is important with ghrita neti is that the oil you use should be natural without any by-products or chemicals. If it contains any chemicals or by-porducts you can cause more harm than good.

As it seems that the different netis are being discovered now, I would like to add this: each one of these variations to jala neti have their own benefits, but these variations should strictly be learned from a teacher. If performed incorrectly or with inferior products you can actually cause more damage and harm to the mucus membranes.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is oil can but I am using saline through it for jal neti and working out good.

Thanks for your help.

<>Sue

Ok, I get it now, you use the can in which the oil comes as a neti pot. Sorry, english is my second language and sometimes I miss the finer nuances. :slight_smile: